First Action RPG that fuses Japanese lore with a futuristic cyberpunk western themed Japan created by a small passionate indie team.
First Action RPG that fuses Japanese lore with a futuristic cyberpunk western themed Japan created by a small passionate indie team. Read more
About this project
PUBLISHED ARTICLES In this section, you will find published articles about REBORN.
UPDATE#7 We are holding an AMAA (Ask Me Almost Anything) on Oct. 20, 2013 at 12:00pm to 1:00pm (Pacific Time Zone - UTC-08:00).
UPDATE#6 Cyber Soldier and boss of Forsaken Village: Ryo Musha in Unreal Engine.
UPDATE#5 We don't see any game-play, so what have you guys been doing for the past 9 months or so?
UPDATE#4 Typo Clarification for pledge reward levels: $750 and $900.
UPDATE#3 Please take a first look at the process of our 2D to 3D adaptation.
Risks and challenges
As a new developer, trying to break into this already difficult industry is a challenge in itself, but we would not have taken up this challenge if we did not believe in the concept and our teammate’s ability to complete this game. Of course, tackling a game of this scope or any game for that matter comes with risks and challenges, however it is our job to mitigate those risks by weighing what works and what will not. From our standpoint, we foresee the following risks and challenges as mitigated:
1. Script – REBORN is heavily dependent on the script for direction and therefore we consider this to be our most important piece of the game. Without a solid and concrete script that intertwines cut-scenes, in-game player character to NPC interactions by way of dialogs, discoverable texts, player character’s progressive License Board, weapons, equipment, magic’s, various technological augmentations, leveling system, rare loot, various character classes, hardware texts down to the emails that the player characters could access, REBORN will suffer on the latter parts of the game design. Besides Eric Thuan, we are fortunate to have an industry veteran involved who will help to weave together a cohesive storyline giving you, our fans a deep engaging story.
2. 3D Art – Without skilled modelers who are not only great at taking a 2D concept art and adapting it into 3D but modelers who are both fast and efficient with their time, REBORN could fail, however we are equally fortunate on this end. We are blessed to have some of the most experienced 2D and 3D artists in the industry and because of this winning combination, we are able to deliver to you a 90% close to accuracy in the 2D to 3D adaptation. Furthermore, all artworks and 3D assets created are done so with the next-gen consoles in mind.
3. CG/Animation – Where some studios suffer in terms of the fluidity of their animations, we are extremely fortunate and blessed to have the support of House of Moves (moves.com). Coupled together with Manar, our seasoned in-house Senior CG/Animator, we are able to give to our audience a very ‘humanness’ in terms of the emotion and fluidity of animations. Because of our strong connection to House of Moves and their commitment to REBORN, you can expect to receive the best in character animations!
4. Programming – with a game concept of this nature, it is imperative to have skilled, dedicated and passionate programmers, and as such we are fortunate to have not only Unreal helping us along the way with our development process, but also having strong programmers on staff truly makes for a progressive development process. Furthermore, we are also blessed to have our unannounced senior programmer, whom you will all know soon enough, giving us his undivided attention. That said, having programmers on staff is not just enough, but rather having programmers who are very knowledgeable with the Unreal Development Kit is extremely essential to a fast moving and cohesive ecosystem. We do not have time for our programmers to learn UDK, so when we setup our team, we ensured that our programmers were first very comfortable and knowledgeable of the Unreal Engine and as such, we are now staffed with teammates who are all enjoying the power of the Unreal Engine.
5. Music – this is an area of game development that rarely sees funding. Game development needs to emphasize on the atmosphere and as we can all learn from Bastion, from Super Giant Games, we need to revisit this lost area of development and nurture it as it will resound a great many thanks from gamers. As gamers, we are always looking to find that user intimacy, and we firmly believe that music is the way to connect the player and the experience they will attain from the game. That said, we are fortunate to have some amazing musicians on REBORN. As you can hear from some of the pieces that have already been created in our official Soundcloud page, we care deeply for the music in REBORN.
6. Building Awareness – Since we are licensed by SCEA with several approvals already in place for REBORN and with the help of ACTTIL, we are very lucky to be in this situation where we have support. Even with this support, we do not have the financial backing from major studios since we are still indie, therefore with the money we earn from Kickstarter, we will allocate a portion of it into marketing by way of magazines or online ads. In order to generate awareness and sales, we cannot do this without the support of our fans, like you! REBORN will only happen because of our fans and those both in the industry and fans alike who believe and have faith in us as we walk this journey together. So we reach out to you and ask for your support…Take this leap of faith with us as we push hard to getting a successful Kickstarter campaign completed. Let us create REBORN not only for us, but also for you, our loyal fans/supporters!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
4colorrebellion - by Antonio Garcia: http://www.4colorrebellion.com/archives/2013/10/17/kickin-it-with-elemental-labs-reborn/
Destructoid - by Steven Hansen: http://www.destructoid.com/cyberpunk-action-rpg-reborn-hits-kickstarter-263322.phtml
Destructoid - by Dale North: http://www.destructoid.com/impressive-ps4-ps3-action-rpg-reborn-debuted-kickstarted-262780.phtml
RPGFan News - by Liz Maas: http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2013/1760.html
RPGamer - by Alex Fuller: http://www.rpgamer.com/games/reborn/reborn/reborn.html
Twodashstah - by Todd Black: http://twodashstash.com/2013/10/reborn-an-rpg-where-cyberpunk-western-and-samurai-themes-combine/
Yes, we can! We already have the basic game functions written with more advanced functions currently being designed and implemented daily! Our team has considerably grown since the inception of REBORN’s initial team, and with this, we continue to enjoy this positive momentum moving forward. We know how skeptical many of you are, and we have read the forums, but we want to assure to the crowd-funding community and the gamers from around the world that we are very passionate, dedicated and an extremely hardworking indie development team.
We completely understand how expensive making a game is, after all it was our sheer love and passion for REBORN that most of our teammates worked for free despite the out-of-pocket expenses that each of us endured. Furthermore, with our minimum goal of $200,000 achieved, REBORN can only be available via the PlayStation Network, however higher funding through the ‘Stretch Goals’ we have laid out, will allow us to expand on the world and bring to you a more complete vision of REBORN, and possibly a retail release in a physical copy (upon reaching SG-TIER 6).
Please allow us to elaborate on our team’s compensation we have setup. Since most of the senior to mid-level teammates are industry professionals, when Franz approached each one of them, they did not require a salary at the moment therefore, where they could not dedicate time (during other paid projects), they did so by donating personal pieces that they felt would help to expand the vision of REBORN. When they did have the time to do work, they did so with the sheer thought of being a part of an exciting process of creating a video game; plain and simple, each teammate wanted to belong to a project that was creating something original, fun and of course something to call their own. That said, each teammate’s reward will be based on a back-end percentage through royalties of all sales REBORN makes, therefore it is possible for us to release REBORN without failure on PSN with our current development. Of course, with higher funding through our Stretch Goals, we will release on multiple platforms thereby giving our fans a greater accessibility to our game. We do not want to focus on some mythical mass market, rather we want to release REBORN to you, our loyal fans!
On another note, the money we will raise through Kickstarter will be allocated to enhance REBORN via already negotiated deals such as motion capturing via House of Moves and licensing fees for the Unreal Engine to say the least. Rest assured that we are not here to fail and we will ensure that all monies raised here will be allocate towards making REBORN. Finally, we are only here because of you, our fans who care and believe in this concept even if you have never heard of us before. We have taken this project to a personal level where it has become our daily breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Most of us spend nearly 15+ hours a day working out the code base, refining the game design and working with each of our teammates across different time zones. To us, we have much to prove to the industry, and we want to get our fans to not only believe in this project and our team, but to take a leap of faith with us as we continue our development cycle. Through a successful Kickstarter campaign, and with your help, let’s make REBORN our reality!
Creating a physical copy of REBORN or going retail is very costly. If we make it through to the higher stretch goals as listed, we will be able to make this happen.
Each one of our teammates has dedicated their sweat equity and passion into this project for free and as such they will receive percentage-based royalties related to how much time they have spent. Our primary initiative above all else is to ensure the money we raise goes towards the development costs for REBORN on such expenditures such as motion capturing and engine licensing fee.
The fact that we are new to the video game industry is nothing to be ashamed of. For three years now, we have lived, breathed and dreamed nothing but REBORN and our passion for making REBORN highly successful is at the forefront of our lives. Currently, we are not a mere ideation, but rather we have several stages of development already in place in terms of our company structure and game pipeline as listed below:
• SCEA licensed indie developer for the PS4, PS3, and PSVita.
• SCEA, SCEE, and SCEJ approved concept and title.
• SCEA approved publisher status with a product Retail Code for REBORN.
• Licensed by Unreal to use their full version evaluation of UE3 & UE4
• Early minimal functioning prototype of REBORN working on PSVita.
• Early prototype of gameplay functioning on UE3 to PS4 port of REBORN working.
• Multiplayer mode already functional on the PS3, PS4, and Windows platforms.
• Nearly 9 months of already-developed feature sets and code base ready to be expanded.
• Available on multiple platforms: PS3, PS4, PSVita, STEAM (Win/Mac) and Xbox upon reaching higher stretch goals.
• Digital distribution is a viable outlet.
• High quality next-gen in-game pipeline, 3D assets, and 2D concepts already made for REBORN.
• Experienced teammates with a passion for video games.
• A powerful musical score that has already been composed.
• Deep, engaging story ready to be made interactive through dialogue and scenario implementation using the powerful Unreal Engine.
1. Upon reaching our initial minimum goal of $200,000, we will release REBORN for the PS3/PS4/STEAM (Windows).
2. Upon reaching a higher stretch goal of SG-Tier 3: $550,000, we will release REBORN on the PSVita.
3. Upon reaching even a higher stretch goals of SG-Tier 5: $1,090,000, we will release REBORN on Xbox One and upon reaching SG-Tier 6: $1,500,000 and over will enable us to release a physical copy of REBORN.
We considered our fans requests and we want to bring REBORN to Wii-U when we reach SG-Tier 5: $1,090,000. Lets make this happen so we can all enjoy REBORN on this console! =D
Yes, but we can only achieve this if we reach our SG-Tier 5: $1,090,000.
Yes! After consideration of so many requests, we decided to move the PC release of REBORN into our initial goal Tier. Thank you for everyone's support and we look forward to reaching our higher stretch goals because this will truly help us to bring a more complete scope of the game.
No. Currently we do not have any plans to port to the iOS/Android. We are currently looking into making use of these devices as a form of a second screen to generate a greater interactivity for our gamers. The second screen functionality will be very limited to things like: Menu, Merchant Stores, and or Stats. We will keep you updated on this exciting research feature later into our development cycle.
We are tentatively holding our release date for Fall 2014, however we are calling it a tentative launch date since there are lots of steps that need to be taken before we can obtain the final approvals for the Alpha, Beta and Master copies. We will keep everyone updated on our forum so please check there or you may contact us directly for an update!
Some of the unannounced teammates are currently under contractual obligations with their current jobs and or projects and therefore they have requested for us to not announce their names just yet. Be assured however that although they do not wish to be announced yet, they are working alongside the announced teammates diligently and arduously. Their dedication and passion is unwavering and we are truly blessed as an indie team to have them on our side. Together with the listed teammates, we are all very excited to get into full-production mode, but again we cannot do this without your help!
Because this is all we live day-in and day-out. We have come a long way with many industry friends, partners including you, our fans who have taken to the forums to state your interest and opinions, and joy to have this game be announced. We will NOT let you guys down especially since each one of us has our names on the line to prove that we are not just committed to project REBORN, but rather we firmly believe in this concept as a truly original concept that deserves our utmost time. Frankly speaking, we cannot wait to make this game and play it ourselves and that said, we once again ask for you, our loyal fans to please take a leap of faith with us and help us to nurture this very exciting concept!
We need multiple artists on board to create the world of REBORN such as characters, environments, and story-boarding so a lot of the artwork you see on our campaign are pieces of art that we saw and immediately wanted to use and incorporate so we acquired the rights to use said artwork in addition to creating new and original artwork. Moreover, we've incorporated the artists themselves into our team.
Some, yes! If the need to outsource becomes imperative, then yes, we will need to do so with some of our trusted industry friends, however rest assured that the team member list that we have put together are highly experienced professionals and very passionate individuals who already love project REBORN. Our good friend and teammate Dennis Langely, the owner at Celestic helped us with some of the world building for REBORN and we are blessed to have him on board with our project. Together, we believe we can bring to the forefront some amazing environments and frankly speaking, we would not be here without their support and sweat equity that they have already donated to REBORN.
We have been developing REBORN on UE3, but the information below will help to further clarify as to the specifics behind the type UE versions we are using:
1. UE3 – PS3, PSVita, and Wii-U
2. UE4 - PS4, XBOX ONE, and PC
We aim to deliver the best version possible based on the software and hardware that is available to us.
Stage 1 – Development - REBORN Vita/PC project (started late Jan 2013 - March 2013)
a. 2D Sides roller when exploring the world
b. 2D fighting game style combat, including command list, counter, parry, block functionality
c. 3D combat with main level boss with dynamic camera switching between locations on the boss stage
d. Vita specific gesture functionality for quick-item/weapon switches and attacking towards enemies back in the screen
Stage 2 Development - REBORN PS3/PC Project (started March 2013 - May 2013)
a. third person 3D explore mode
b. 2.5D combat with minions, based on 2d combat previously, we added camera panning so that player can switch enemies in 3d while still fighting them individually in 2d
c. 3D combat with main level boss, simple QTE added
d. Basic HUD
e. Advanced HUD with HP/Focus Move/Ōgi Move
f. added equipment menu and configuration for controller in Menu system
Stage 3 Development - REBORN PS3/PC Project (started May 2013 - June 2013)
a. 3D explore mode
b. 3D combat with minions, deprecated command list of fighting game combat, added DMC liked combat mode, with our unique combo chaining system
c. 3D combat with main level boss, added more boss skills and weakness spot to attack.
d. Improved HUD with HP/Focus Move/Ōgi Move
e. Added license board and WuXing mock-up(to be implemented) in Menu system
Stage 4 Development - REBORN PS3/PS4/PC Project (started June 2013 - Current)
a. 3D explore mode improved
c. First-Person, player can switch to over shoulder view -shooting mode
d. 3D combat with minions, added air combat, rough stealth mode(stealth augmentation, stealth attack), even more attack options such as launching enemy into air
e. 3D combat with main level boss, we slow down our dev on boss fighting because we want to polish combat.
f. Improved arts of HUD with HP/Focus Move/Ōgi Move
Stage 5 Development - REBORN's current dev status
a. We will do motion capturing for Musashi Miyamoto at House of Moves (http://moves.com/). Actor Shin Koyamada (http://shinkoyamada.com/) is not only our director of choreography for martial arts/movements for REBORN's characters, but he will also play-act as Musashi at House of Moves.
b. Show gameplay in the coming weeks after getting the updated mocap data from House of Moves.
Kickstarter Backer Badge: www.elemental-labs.com/reborn/Kickstarter_BackerBadge.jpg
"I'M A BACKER - REBORN"
Kickstarter Backer Badge: www.elemental-labs.com/reborn/Kickstarter_BackerBadge2.jpg
"I BACKED REBORN"
Kickstarter Backer Badge: www.elemental-labs.com/reborn/Kickstarter_BackerBadge3.jpg
"I BACKED REBORN"
Facebook Timeline Banner: http://www.elemental-labs.com/reborn/Kickstarter_FB_Banner.jpg
Shin Koyamada co-starred as “Nobutada” opposite Tom Cruise in the Warner Bros. action epic film The Last Samurai, with a worldwide box office of $456 million. Koyamada also starred in the Disney Channel action original movie Wendy Wu: Homecoming Warrior, which had over 5.7 million viewers at its premiere, making Wendy Wu: Homecoming Warrior the fifth highest viewed DCOM. Koyamada has produced and starred in the film Good Soil and executive produced Wine Road of the Samurai. Koyamada was designed to be the main character of the American comic book The Dreamhoppers, which has been published nationwide in the United States.
He is also the last decendant of the famous Minamoto Genji clan from Japanese lore and we thought it to be very fitting to have him not only do the motion capture for Musashi Miyamoto, but to also do the VO in Japanese for him. Shin is a good friend of Franz Tissera and we are blessed to have him on REBORN. You can expect to see the best in martial arts acting and VO from this talented young man! You can learn more about him here: http://shinkoyamada.com/
Support this project
- (30 days)