In March 2017, we launched a Kickstarter campaign to help us make a secular, fair and fun documentary about the history of early Christianity.
We achieved our goal and have been working hard on it for the last year and a half.
- We've written a solid script and traveled around Australia and the United States to interview a terrific group of twelve of the most knowledgeable and entertaining New Testament scholars and biblical historians on the planet.
To make sure we provide a balanced perspective, half of the scholars are Christians and half are non-believers.
We've also had some fun animations produced to help us tell the story about how a fringe, Jewish cult from the backwaters of the Roman Empire ended up taking over Western civilization.
- Here's a taste of what we've done so far:
Below are some short segments from our interviews.
These are low-res rough cuts as of Nov 2018. No colour grade. No sound mix. Which is a fancy way of saying they are going to look and sound a LOT nicer in the finished product (we shot them in 4K!).
Unfortunately, back in May we lost our original production company.
For personal reasons, the guy who was our original cinematographer / editor suddenly had to move to the other side of the country.
- So we took a breather and asked a small test group of 50-60 people (50% Christian) to review the 18 minutes we had already edited and then to answer a short survey about it.
- And the overall score came in around 4.2 out of 5!
- Not bad, especially for a super low budget film, of which they only saw the first third, and considering the sensitivity of the subject matter.
- There were some suggestions about how to improve it, which we're taking into account for the final edit.
HELP US RAISE FINISHING FUNDS!
So here's where you come in - to finish the film, we need to raise some finishing funds to hire a NEW production company and get the rest of the production completed.
- We have already shot 95% of the film and just need to film the rest of Cameron's presenter sequences (and we'd actually like to re-shoot the existing Cameron scenes), get 20 more animated sequences completed, purchase some stock footage, some music, and get it all edited together.
- Below you can view the non-public rough cut we showed the test groups in Aug 2018. No colour grade. No sound mix.
Final edit pending. It's about 18 minutes long.
- This is basically what the final film will look like (just add another 70 minutes of interviews and more animations and music).
- We hope you find this entertaining, engaging and educational and want to see the rest of the film!
ABOUT THE WRITER / HOST
- Cameron Reilly is an internationally loved history buff, known for being a pioneer of history podcasting, including his groundbreaking long-form podcast series on Napoleon, Alexander, Julius and Augustus Caesar, the Renaissance and the Cold War, which are popular with a huge base of history fans all over the world and have been downloaded millions of times.
- Cameron is the writer, host and director of the film. He's been fascinated with Christianity all his life, even though he's not a believer. He just thinks it's one of the most influential and engrossing subjects in Western civilization!
Here's a look at a rough cut of the first three chapters of the film so far!
Thanks for supporting the project!
Risks and challenges
As we've already got 95% of this film in the can (and by that we mean "digital files on the hard drive"), the only real risk would be that we somehow lose all of the footage. However we have redundant backups, so that's highly unlikely. Of course, if Jesus comes back before we get this finished, all bets are off.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (14 days)