Hellscreen is a single player level based first-person shooter for PC, in the fast, frantic style of classic FPS games from the 1990s (such as Doom, Quake, Unreal etc).
Second to second, you will be blasting enemies, dodging incoming attacks and progressing through a labyrinth of evil at breakneck speeds.
Use the right gun for the right situation to survive and conquer the Hellscreen machine, utilising each weapons’ multiple firing modes.
When you die (and you WILL) you can upgrade your weapons & abilities to use on your next resurrection, using souls acquired by defeating enemies.
New weapons and abilities will allow you to progress further, unlock new areas, defeat enemies easier and eventually destroy the Hellscreen machine.
Souls can also be acquired by collecting soul crates. They appear randomly and won't stick around for long! Each progressive crate grabbed earns you more souls.
Key Features At this point, most people know what goes into a 90s style FPS and many games recently have revisited the genre, (such as Strafe, Dusk, Midnight Ultra) but what makes Hellscreen different?
- Lo-rez surrealistic visual style - A retro-flavoured, yet distinctive art direction, evoking memories of classic pixel textures mixed with inspirations of H.R Giger, Zdzislaw Beksinski etc.
- Aggressive combat - evade attacks & dish out punishment using a variety of heavy, intimidating weapons, always pushing forward and never retreating.
- Rear view mirror- Never be ambushed and fire behind usinganew found perspective. It will also enable detection of certain enemies, secrets and bonuses that can't be seen with the naked eye.
- Transforming weapons - Weapons with visceral gun feel & sound, that can transform & change function to suit different scenarios. One input but a multitude of applications makes for a new level of depth with weapon interaction.
- Upgrade system - purchase new weapons and abilities such as extra health & armour, double jump, dash, improved soul collection, swimming underwater, level fast travel and exploding upon death for extra souls.
- Interconnected maps - United by a hub world, travel back and forth between levels to unlock new areas and secrets as upgrades are purchased. Not able to jump to that high platform? Upgrade to the double jump and return later to claim your prize.
- Designed & hand-crafted levels - no procedural generation, no randomness, no accidents. Pure, constructed levels specifically created to give the player the most intense & invigorating experience possible. Only designed levels can give you hell.
- Manipulative environments - Change the level to suit your needs and combat scenarios. Taking too much fire? Shoot the columns to raise cover. See a trap meant for you? Trigger it to use on your enemies instead.
The best firepower is needed to conquer the world of Hellscreen.
The weapon you start with. Surprisingly powerful.
- Normal fire - fire slowly but more accurately.
- Alternative fire - rapidly fire but at cost of accuracy.
The staple of the genre redesigned for the intense action of Hellscreen.
- Normal fire - single barrel shotgun fire and reloading
- Alternative fire - transforms into a double barrel and unleash both rounds. Increasese load time.
Another classic returns. Fire fast, fire often.
- Normal fire - fires a stream of bullets very rapidly.
- Alternative fire - Spread shot which quickly focuses into a more accurate stream of bullets. Burst fire to keep spray effect.
Classified weapons - to be disclosed soon.
Rocket launcher -
- Normal fire - fires a single rocket & creates a strong explosion.
- Alternative fire - lock onto enemies, release to fire mini homing missiles.
Disc mine -
- Normal fire - player throws an explosive disc which bounces off surfaces until it collides with an enemy or destructible object.
- Alternative fire - drop a disc mine on the floor every few seconds. Great when used in tandem with the rear-view mirror while being chased!
- Normal fire - semi-automatic plasma launcher which fires spheres of deadly energy. Fast travelling and fairly moderate damage.
- Alternative fire - Charge and overload the plasma blaster and then expel a massive plasma bolt for massive damage.
- Normal fire - fire a strong but thin beam of energy every few seconds.
- Alternative fire - charge a beam whilst zooming the view scope to fire a strong beam accurately. However, this does limit field of view from other enemies.
2D plasma blade
- Normal fire - Swing and fast attack. High damage but limited range.
- Alternative fire - absorb souls from enemy projectiles and also reflect them.
You will enounter many fierce creatures in the Hellscreen. Below are a few of them known to exist at this time.
Fiercely protective of its young & territory, it aggressively charges the player to ram it with its bone armour. Side step and take your shot to destroy it.
A large, cumbersome imposing enemy which traps its victims within walls of blood energy. It only exposes its vulnerable points when close to chomping on its prey. Pick your moment to fire on it.
An enemy with a shield which absorbs your weapon projectiles, whilst firing its own plasma at you. Destroy the shield with powerful weapons or get in close and within the shield to do damage.
A harmless, if repulsive entity which when destroyed yields souls. Crush them for easy money.
Classified enemies - to be disclosed soon.
The dominant Hellscreen machine grows and invades other biospheres. Biomechanical shapes and forms make the workings of this machine truly unknown and alien.
A recognizable, industrial style heat management system, which diverges incredible temperatures away from the operations of the Hellscreen machine core. Material is also smelted to be used by the Hellscreen to grow even larger.
Classified areas - to be disclosed soon.
Beta cruncher -
A primitive form of the Hellscreen, long abandoned like a snake's former skin. Ancient technology still endless working to break down rocks & metals to nourish the Hellscreen. Resembles medieval castles from the middle ages.
The resting place of the core. The final battle takes place here. A tech nightmare and a hostile place.
Millennia ago, the ancient gods built a machine for all eternity that would determine the transition to the afterlife process. They no longer wished to burden themselves with the effort of deciding who should go to the afterlife and who should go to Hell. They built it so they themselves could die and leave the oppression of immortality behind and have their fate determined in the most objective way possible. The machine, filled with lifeforms artificially created as part of the mechanism, continued to run but without the supervision and maintenance of its creators, it began deteriorating. Eventually, it began to make errors and blur the lines between life, death, heaven & hell. You are one of those errors. Wrongfully pulled from the afterlife to the Hellscreen dimension, you are caught in a cycle of death and resurrection & must fight to destroy the machine once and for all to let the natural order of things reign again. Perhaps then, you, like the ancient gods can finally rest for all time.
The music in Hellscreen will be fast, minimal, dark and heavy. Repetition enforces the endless cycle of death and resurrection that happens in the game. Below is the music from the trailer, which captures the relentlessness of the game.
Hellscreen has been an idea in the head of lead developer, Jamie Degen for over a decade. Inspired by many late night sessions of Doom & alien trilogy on the PS1 and a taste for retro-inspired art, Jamie D began a prototype early 2017 and started refining the idea until it became what it is today. Looking back to move forward, the developer wanted to create a game which had all the hallmarks of classic fast-paced FPS but enhanced by modern design choices & an eye-grabbing visual style to evoke a unique, compelling gameplay experience.
We wanted to put Hellscreen on Kickstarter because we want to devote ourselves full time to realise its vision. It also allows us to get the game out quicker and to a higher quality. If successful, the Kickstarter will provide funding for new levels, extra weapons and additional enemies. It will also allow new features and time for polish what is already created and will make for better gameplay experience.
Hellscreen 6.9 cm stickers included with tiers #6, #7, #8 & #9.
Six per backer.
Hellscreem limited edition 76 mm Pocker mirrors. 2 Per backer. Included #6, #7, #8 & #9.
Hellscreen limited edition T-shirt (included with tiers #7. #8 & #9.
Hellscreen limited edition poster. A1 size. included with tiers #8 & #9. 1 per backer.
Physical merch collection (tiers #8 & #9)
Stretch goals to be announced soon!
Hellscreen Twitter - https://twitter.com/Hellscreen_Game
Lead developer/artist - Jamie D -
Composer - Matthew Pasternakiewicz -
Risks and challenges
There are always risks and challenges in video game development and there are always unknowns. However, with over 10 years experience creating games on a variety of formats, we are very confident that Hellscreen will not only be successfully released (on time!) but a great video game to boot.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)