About this project
Pico is a fully automatic craft beer brewing appliance that allows anyone to brew 5L mini-kegs of professional quality craft beer. Pico leverages patented technology from PicoBrew's award-winning Zymatic product in a more compact and affordable form. Pico uses convenient, ready-to-brew PicoPak ingredient kits produced by over 50 of the world's most interesting craft breweries (with more announced every day). PicoPaks may be purchased from the BrewMarketplace and customized to taste.
"18 Gift Ideas for Beer Lovers" -Mens Journal
“'3D printer for beer’: PicoBrew unveils new $499 at-home brewing machine”-GeekWire
"Home-brewing startup devises smaller, easier-to-use machine" -Seattle Times
"In [Pico] they’ve made massive strides in simplicity, size and cost" -Forbes
"Most importantly though, [Pico] greatly reduces the complexity of making beer" -Engadget
"I tasted two beers beer created by the machine ... and both were a huge step up from any home brew I've ever tried. They tasted like craft beers I would pay money for." -CNET
“The coolest thing about the Pico, though, is how you actually brew the beer” –Bloomberg
"This could allow famous breweries to more easily distribute their beer" -PCMag
To add items from this section to your pledge, edit the pledge as described in the add-on’s description.
PicoPaks make brewing easy! Innovative breweries from around the world are offering their beer as PicoPaks so that customers far and wide can craft great beer on their Pico and even personalize it to taste.
PicoBrew's global marketplace for PicoPaks, the BrewMarketplace, allows customers to find great craft beer by exploring ratings and recommendations and even communicating directly with the brewer.
What makes BrewMarketplace unique is that you can discover and purchase not only great craft brewery beer, but also beer from other homebrewers with unique and exciting recipes. Discover the next AHA award-winner's recipes or support your local homebrew community. Finding your beer has never been easier!.
PicoBrew has selected 12 of our most popular Zymatic recipes to make into PicoPak recipes. These recipes are a great way to get started PicoBrewing, and are available bundled with Kickstarter Pico units and from the BrewMarketplace.
- PicoBrew Select PicoPaks include:
· Pico Pale – A classic American pale ale flavored with citrusy and piney hops
· Party Porter – Multiple award winning, crowd-favorite porter
· Half-Squeezed – Our session IPA adaptation of Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA
· Atomic Amber – Malty amber ale with zesty Centennial and Cascade hops
· B-52 Blonde – An easy-drinking, malt accentuated American craft beer
· Not Yet-ie – A big imperial stout that pays homage to Great Divide’s Yeti
· Plinius Maximus – PicoBrew’s tribute to Russian River’s famous Pliny the Elder double IPA
· Annie’s London Ale – An English Strong Bitter with hints of toffee and caramel
· Belle of the Ball – PicoBrew’s favorite Saison brewed in the Wallonia style
· Tweaties – A cloudy and satisfying classic American wheat ale
· Pico Pils – PicoBrew’s favorite “lawnmower beer”. Crisp! Refreshing!
· Deaf Turtle – A tribute to Russian River’s Blind Pig IPA
1. FRESHNESS. Fresh craft beer tastes best, and it doesn't get fresher than home-brewed!
2. SELECTION. Explore PicoPaks from craft brewers and breweries around the world.
3. PERSONALIZATION. Known-great craft brew recipes can be personalized to your taste.
4. QUALITY. With Pico you spend money on ingredients, not bottling/ distribution/taxes!
5. ENVIRONMENT. Be good to our planet by using compostable ingredients, and less water and energy than traditional beer brewing.
We started PicoBrew in 2010 to pursue the vision of enabling craft brewing at home, leveraging new smart appliances in the same way the automatic espresso maker has enabled home espresso production. After years of prototypes and R&D effort we launched the award-winning PicoBrew Zymatic in the fall of 2013. While PicoBrew has been awarded 3 patents for the innovative technology and processes we invented on the way to Zymatic, we knew the job was not yet done. We knew that to really get the world brewing, we had to make an appliance that was smaller, more affordable and even simpler to use.
With those 3 tenets as our product compass, we set out to produce the Pico. Iterations of the Pico began as 80-20 rail prototypes and evolved into closer-and-closer to form-factor products by late 2014. After joining forces with Flex as our manufacturing partner, our production plan solidified. It's taken several hundred test batches of beer and many man-years of effort, but we are now a month away from EVT samples and on track for production early next year.
PicoBrew is a team of 33 dedicated craft beer lovers and technologists (in that order) who cut their teeth in various respectable roles at big companies, but decided it was much better to work for a small company and make products that make people happy. We like great craft beer, and it makes us happy to craft the ultimate crafter of craft beer for you!
Risks and challenges
Our business centers on bringing the craft beer experience home to you in the form of great-looking products that perform in unique ways. We have already manufactured our first two (Kickstarter-backed) products, the Zymatic and KegSmarts, so we have experienced the trials and tribulations of bringing complex products to market by ourself. This time we’re working with one of the world’s leading contract manufacturers to make sure we can address demand, and scale quickly. Even so, risks remain:
MANUFACTURING: We’re doing some novel things here with our compostable pulp packaging, for example, and anytime you pioneer new materials and packaging there are risks. We’ve gotten pretty good at addressing these types of problems, but there are always manufacturing schedule risks for any product.
FULFILLMENT: We experienced some challenges in the UPS shipping of Zymatic and Kegsmarts -- large heavy packages sometimes get banged up in shipping. Pico is smaller, and we’re designing the packaging ahead of time this go-around and our partner Flex is pretty darn good at fulfillment. But getting products in volume fulfilled worldwide is still non-trivial.
INTERNATIONAL: Getting government regulatory approval for worldwide products can be a challenge, and again, part of the reason for partnering with Flex is that they’re really good at this.
Help us make Pico a reality with your pledge today!
THANK YOU for your support!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (35 days)