The first proofs have arrived!
After the last two weeks of intense (but honestly kinda dull) work preparing, sending, revising and checking all of the files with Longpack (the manufacturer) we have today received the first set of proof for review!
After I get done with this update, I'll be poring over them making sure everything is how it should be, feeding back to Longpack about any changes we need and getting ready for the print run to start but I thought you guys would like to see some pictures of the proofs.
Please remember this is a "behind the scenes" update - there are mistakes we've spotted already just taking the pictures, so don't worry - this is just a manufacturing prototype so we expect there to be some problems at this stage. If you're the sort who's just interested in the final product, the take-away is this: We're on schedule and everything is going great so far!
For everyone else who likes to stay really in the loop, read on!
The first prototype consists of print proofs and a hand-assembled digital proof.
The print proofs come on huge bits of paper to show colour and print quality in a big tube and none of it is cut out. Here's Carcosa's print proofs being weighted down to flatten them and make the review easier:
The hand-assembled digital proof is the actual game, but printed using a lower quality system and assembled by hand so we can see everything gets cut properly. It is quite exciting because it's almost like getting a copy of the game!
Note the final copy is slightly taller than the reviewer one. It's the exact same size as the ORE-SOME box which means we don't have to have different sized shipping cartons etc and with all the stretch goals we managed for Carcosa it seemed like a good plan.
The first mistake we noticed! The insert has been placed under the box wrap, so bits are overlapped. Again, spotting these things is what the proofs are for, so its just a feedback to the manufacturer point. I'm really happy with the design though, I think it gives a feel of murals around the walls of the chapter house that I really like.
Next is the cult mat:
This isn't quite sitting flat on its own, but that might be because it's straight out of the box, but we will be discussing that with the manufacturer.
Next the cards and cultists:
These are looking great! I'm really happy with how they have come out. The Thug meeples are a little darker than I want for contrast, so we'll be going two shades lighter with them.
And the Reference Cards:
As Sarah mentioned in her last update, as the cards are the only language dependent components other than the rulebook itself, we thought it would be cool to include localised versions of those cards in the box in as many languages as we could, so here they are!
Here's the proof rulebooks:
This one has had a massive amount of checking already, but it looks SO much cooler in the box than the plain white ones in the reviewer's prototypes!
Now the art cards:
These have come out really cool! There's a little surprise with them too that I won't spoil here! We also wanted to include a little advert for our other game but thought it'd be cool to make it something a bit less "thrown out with the punchboards", so we used the cover art from it to make it a bit more like a 6th art card and it looks really good!
At last we get to the tiles themselves!
These will need some focussed checking, but the tiles are looking good! You might notice some odd yellow edging on the bottom right there - we're asking about that (though we suspect it might be because of the digital print and hand assembly rather than the final process).
And that's it for now! Need to get into the detailed review now and get the feedback to the manufacturer asap - you people need your games!