This project's funding goal was not reached on August 12, 2012.
About this project
Digital Trends: "You could spend more money to buy new headphones that fit you more securely, or work with the ones you already have."
Gizmag: "The hook attachment is so simple that it's almost difficult to believe that it isn't the industry standard."
Today's iPhone: "This idea is really simple, but kind of brilliant."
AppAdvice: "Unlike some other Kickstarter projects we’ve covered, SecureTips are a product I’d actually use."
BostInno: "Apple should be kicking themselves for not offering it sooner for their own line..."
Cult of Mac: "Would you pay $20 to keep your Apple earbuds in your ears where they belong? Me too."
MacMagazine Brazil: "The fit is simple and efficient." (translated)
91.com (China): "Fits perfectly in the Apple headphones and in our ears." (translated)
Gadgetmac: "Simple but genius idea."
Guys Gab: "It's really amazing that no one thought of this sooner!"
Mobilegn: "Their idea is so awesome that I can't believe Apple didn't come up with it first!"
Wouldn't it be great if your stuff just worked?
We wish that everything we've purchased has always worked the way it was supposed to. Sadly, this isn't the norm - it's a rarity. We want to fix this. Our mission is not to merely make your products work the way companies intended - it's to make them work the way you want them to.
We're starting small. We've solved one of those daily annoyances you just wish would go away. We're talking about your Apple Earphones - those things that always seem to be falling out of your ears at the worst possible time. It doesn’t matter if you are at the gym, out for a run, or simply walking down the street - just when you are getting to the best part of your favorite song, an earphone pops out and the moment is ruined. Or, even worse, you purchase a new Apple product and immediately toss the earphones into a drawer. Such a waste.
That is why we created SecureTips. Easy to attach, comfortable to wear, and completely secured to your ears, our tips make sure your earphones stay where they belong. They will be manufactured with silicone rubber to ensure optimum comfort and maximum durability.
Installation is the easiest thing in the world. Just slip a tip over each earbud and you can take comfort in the fact that wherever you go and whatever you do, your earphones will stay in your ears.
Design that will turn heads. When designing the tips, we knew one of the most important aspects to consider was whether they would look good enough to be worn in public. We think they look pretty awesome and hope that you do too.
Personalize your Apple earphones. SecureTips come in four standard colors and one limited edition color. The standard colors are White, Black, Blue, and Red. The limited edition color is none other than Kickstarter Green! All of the standard colors will be available after the project ends, but Kickstarter Green will only be available here.
Made in the USA. It is very important to us that all of the manufacturing takes place in the United States. We want to do our part to help stimulate the economy and create jobs.
What’s in the kit? Each kit comes with three sets of SecureTips in the color of your choice. You'll get a Small, Medium, and Large. Not everyone's ears are the same, so we want to make sure we include sizes to fit everyone. When you find the size that fits, you can take the other two sizes and give them to your friends and family! Or you can sell them. Works for us either way :)
What's our manufacturing plan? As soon as we meet our funding goal, we are going to kick off the manufacturing process. SecureTips will be manufactured in South Dakota. Our process is broken up into four main steps:
- Final Prototypes: Once we hit our funding goal, final prototypes will be ordered using a process called Urethane Casting, in which temporary molds are made from rubber. These advanced (and costly) prototypes will ensure that we obtain the perfect feel and fit before manufacturing begins. (~2 weeks)
- Tooling: Once we are happy with our final prototypes, the manufacturing process begins. A permanent manufacturing mold will be made from steel. This process, called "tooling," has a large upfront cost and is very time-intensive. (~8 weeks)
- Molding: When the tooling is finished, SecureTips will be ready to be produced immediately. Silicone rubber and dye (to add color) will be purchased upfront, and will be injected into the steel mold. (~2 weeks)
- Packaging and Shipping: Simple, recyclable packing will be designed during the tooling and molding processes, and will be made in New Jersey. SecureTips will be packaged immediately after being molded. They will be sent out via Shipwire.com (which has multiple warehouses across the US and Europe to handle domestic and international shipping).
Why do we need your support? With your support, we can put SecureTips into ears around the world. Your contribution will go towards:
- Final Prototypes
- Silicone Rubber and Dye
- Shipping and handling
- The creation of an online storefront to sell SecureTips once the Kickstarter project ends.
- The creation and preservation of American jobs. All manufacturing will be done in the United States by American companies, so your support goes towards creating new jobs and preserving jobs in the struggling manufacturing sector.
Thank you for turning our dream into a reality.
- Adam and Zach
Apple is a trademark of Apple Inc., no endorsement implied.
Once the project ends successfully, we will send out a survey to all our backers requesting color choices and mailing address info.
The song, titled "The legend of Zelda Remixed," was made by Mystic_Roots
Check out our bio in the top right corner!
Nope! If anything, by giving your earphones a better fit, SecureTips will improve audio quality. In the artistic renderings the tips cover the holes on the earphones, but in the final product the holes will not be covered. Leaving the holes uncovered is crucial for maintaining the sound quality of Apple's Earphones.
Yes. SecureTips were designed specifically to work with Apple Earphones (those standard ones that come with iPhones and iPods).
- (33 days)