HeronLED Personal Task Light
HeronLED Personal Task Light
A beautifully and sustainably designed energy-saving LED desk lamp made in the USA from recycled e-waste.
A beautifully and sustainably designed energy-saving LED desk lamp made in the USA from recycled e-waste. Read more
WHAT WE'RE DOING
LittleFootprint Lighting is a manufacturer of LED task lighting products that are made in the USA from recycled materials. Our goal is to reduce the carbon footprint of lighting, one little desk lamp at a time. Your pledge will help us reduce our costs so we can sell more lamps and really have an impact.
After 3 years of R&D, we are just beginning to ship our first product, the HeronLED Personal Task Light. Though we were motivated to get into the business because of our desire to make a "green", sustainable desk lamp, we were just as motivated to make a beautiful, highly functional, state of the art desk lamp. We don't believe products sell just because they're good for the environment. They have to attract users because of the value they offer over and above their sustainability. Based on feedback we've been getting, we think we've hit the mark with the HeronLED.
Energy-saving, environmentally friendly, and ergonomically designed for work place and home office environments, the HeronLED Personal Task Light is the only LED-based desk lamp made in the USA from recycled e-waste. Here are the key features:
- Uses only 4 watts - 7 to 10 times less energy compared to conventional desk lamps
- Replaceable LED bulb lasts 15 years or longer
- First and only desk lamp made of recycled ABS plastic from e-waste
- Adjustable, ergonomic design that gets light just where you need it
- "Warm white" light, over 220 lumens, 55 lumens/watt
- Five-year warranty
- Designed and manufactured in the USA
LIGHT ON THE ENVIRONMENT
Here's how our lights help reduce the carbon footprint of lighting and help keep e-waste out of landfills:
LED bulbs: Our bulbs save energy in several ways. First, LED bulbs use
less energy than incandescent, halogen or compact fluorescent bulbs –
and last longer, too! Further, they produce much less heat than other
bulbs, which helps save energy because buildings then need less air
conditioning. Finally, good task lights like ours mean less ambient lighting is needed, so there's a chance to use even less electricity for lighting. Less energy used means fewer greenhouse gases in our atmosphere.
- Product design: We’ve designed our LED task lighting to be as green as possible. In general, products designed from recycled materials require less energy to produce than those made from virgin materials. By sourcing our materials in California, where we’re based, we save even more energy by reducing transportation costs. We’ve even designed our LED task lamps with the switch between the plug and the internal power supply, to keep them from being “energy vampires.” When you turn off one of our lamps, it’s really off.
- Recycling e-waste: E-waste is the fastest growing element in the U.S. garbage stream. According to a report in Time Magazine, Americans throw out more than 350,000 cell phones and 130,000 computers every day. Improperly disposed-of lead, mercury and other toxic materials found inside e-waste can leak from landfills and pollute our communities. When it is recycled, e-waste often ends up in developing countries where it's processed in dangerous conditions, sometimes using child labor. We're proud to close the loop on e-waste, keeping it out of landfills and using it to make energy-saving lights designed to last. And after many, many years when our products reach end of life, we encourage our users to recycle them at e-Stewards recyclers, ensuring proper handling.
General Design Information:
- Light source is replaceable 3-Watt LED bi-pin MR-16 VWF, exclusively designed for use with HeronLED and made in the USA
- Body of fixture made from 89% recycled post-consumer ABS plastic (non-corrosive, RoHS compliant) sourced and processed in the USA
- Metal base of lamp made in USA from RoHS compliant steel melted and manufactured in the USA and made from at least 70% scrap metal
- Ergonomically designed to provide maximum controllability of height and angle of light source to put light where needed on the work space
- Uses 1/7th the energy used by a comparable incandescent desk lamp
- Weighs 3 pounds
- ETL/cETL and CE safety certifications
- 5-year Warranty
Specific Lighting Information:
- Light output/Brightness: 220 lumens
- Energy used: 4 Watts
- Lumens per Watt/Efficiency: 55
- Light appearance/Color temperature: Warm white (3000 K)
- Color Rendering Index (CRI): 82
- Life: 50,000 hours (17 years if on 8 hours per day)
- Illuminance levels meet recommendations for common visual task as described in ANSI/IESNA RP-1-04, “American National Standard Practice for Office Lighting”
- Body of fixture made from 89% post-consumer recycled ABS plastic sourced and processed in USA.
- Steel base made in USA from USA manufactured steel comprised of at least 70% scrap metal
- Overall post-consumer content: 58.4%
- Input Voltage Range: 120V—277V
- Power Cord (USA): 2-prong, SPT-2, approximately 6’ long. (Available with power cords for use in other countries in summer of 2012)
- Off-state power use: 0 Watts
- Power factor: .58
WHAT WE NEED
We've made it on our own this far - to the point that we are just beginning production - and that's a big relief! As we ramp up production however, we are going to need to reduce our costs. One of our parts – a little metal enclosure that covers the electronics inside the lamp – has ended up being one of our most expensive components, even though it’s a pretty simple piece. Because we didn’t have the cash up front to pay for specialized “stamping” tooling, we had to go with a less efficient production method for our first batch. If we invest in the tooling (made in USA of course!), we can reduce the cost of this part by 75%, which will make a major difference in our bottom line.
We're looking for your help to buy the tooling in time for our next production run. The savings we achieve and any additional funding we might get will help us make a real impact by allowing us to put more resources into sales and marketing efforts to get our little lamps on as many desks as possible.
- (30 days)