What is Yappy?
Yappy is a service which allows you to send and receive SMS/MMS messages from any PC/Tablet/Web Browser/XMPP client. It also allows you to view and dismiss Android notifications remotely.
If you are frequently using other devices such as a PC at work, laptop in class, tablet on the couch, etc... it becomes quite inconvenient to reach into your pocket to grab your phone just to view and reply to text messages or figure out what that notification sound was.
Yappy allows you to use the device in front of you to view and reply to text messages quickly and easily.
Getting set up is extremely easy:
- You download the Android app from Google Play
- If you use Chrome you can install the Chrome Extension
- If you use Firefox you can install the Firefox Extension
- On a Windows PC, you can use the Desktop App
- You can then SMS from our web app
- You can even hook up for XMPP chat client
Yappy was originally named EndlessJabber. Due to Cisco's acquisition of the open XMPP protocol, also known as Jabber, and a build-out of their corporate chat platform 'Jabber', the name EndlessJabber was determined to be too similar to their own product. MariusSoft LLC was asked to change the name of EndlessJabber. My wife suggested the name Yappy and I immediately fell in love with it!
Yappy's goal is to help extend your Android Ecosystem's reach. To achieve this, Yappy provides:
- Chrome Extension
- Firefox Add-on
- Windows Desktop App
- XMPP (Jabber) connectivity
- Web Application
- Android phone/tablet application
Rich SMS app support
Starting in Android 4.4, the OS changed the way security and access to SMS/MMS API's work. In order to support a fully featured integration, I had to build and support an SDK for Yappy to enable SMS app integration. I've reached out to numerous SMS app dev's and have certified some of the most pervasive 3rd party SMS apps with Yappy.
Yappy started out as a passion project due to the lack of reliable SMS from PC options on the Android Ecosystem. Over the years, Yappy has grown and matured into a beautifully complex service rivaling the big players. I am confident that with the support of the user community, Yappy can continue to grow and provide even more value.
Why a Kickstarter?
In Aug of 2014, I launched Yappy's first Kickstarter to help increase Yappy's user-base. At the time the app was known as EndlessJabber.
The proceeds from the first Kickstarter were used to significantly grow Yappy, from 13k user installs to over 69k. What I've learned along the way is that advertising isn't cheap. I am looking at raising another round of funds to help promote the app even further.
Well known apps in the same niche space have raised millions in venture capital and as a result have millions of users. Because they are profit driven and answer to investors, they have high monthly subscription fees and limit the number of SMS messages free accounts can send out per month!
I want to keep Yappy honest and never limit the amount of messages a free account can send. I believe that Yappy's faithful user-base will help the app grow without needing to resort to extraneous methods.
I believe that being able to text using a PC, tablet, web browser, etc... should have been integrated into the core Android OS from the beginning. Yappy exists to fill a crucial void in the Android OS.
Because of this core belief, I promise that I will do my best to always provide unlimited messaging for free accounts. Unlike Pushbullet and MightyText which limit the amount of messages free accounts can send, Yappy will always remain as an unlimited service for free accounts. To subsidize the cost of hardware, hosting, etc... free accounts are subject to ads.
Yappy for Business
Today's small businesses are faced with a more demanding customer base than ever. Consumers expect to be able to get help, reschedule appoints, and get status updates via electronic channels.
Large organisations such as AAA can afford in-house IT departments which can integrate external API's and provide SMS functionality. AAA will text you when your tow truck is dispatched, but your local car mechanic does not have the same luxury to notify you when your car is ready for pickup.
Perhaps your local florist may want to send you a text to remind you to pick up flowers for your upcoming anniversary; even if they employ email marketing campaigns (which rarely work), they are still missing a big opportunity.
It is my vision to take Yappy (and the Yappy # feature) to small businesses everywhere. I am announcing Yappy for Business an SMB focused version of Yappy whose goal is to enable small local business to reach their customers via a modern communication channel
Did you know:
- 80% of consumers prefer to be contacted by a business via texting over a call.
- 90% of consumer text messages are read. Only 10% of emails are even opened.
- 70% of consumers say their perception of a company is significantly increased if they offer texting..
I am opening a beta program for small businesses who are interested in helping pilot, test, and shape Yappy for Business. Please reach our to any small business owners you may know and share this exciting opportunity with them. They will receive free membership to Yappy Business Pro during this period.
Here are some Business focused features in development:
- Dedicated number (rather than using your own personal cell phone #, Yappy will provide your business with a dedicated number for texting).
- Advanced caller ID - name, address, links to social accounts, gender, age, income range, occupation, carrier, etc...
- Sentiment analysis (you will be able to review the sentiment of conversations both immediately and over time. if you assign others to work the system you can track their performance and whether or not users are responding well to their approach)
- auto reply - schedule offline auto reply, reply if you don't respond within x minutes, auto reply when certain questions are asked (E.G. what's your address, business hours,etc...)
- groups - assign customers to groups -marketing - mass text individuals or groups with
- templates (e.g. - 'hello %name%' will be replaced with 'hello Marius' if you have that customers name).
- CMS/CRM integration
- Outlook integration
Yappy for Business will also include online chat! This feature will give you a chat widget to place on your website (which can direct mobile users to SMS/text instead), as well as a brand spanking new web interface, built just for Business users!
Risks and challenges
Full-fulfillment of the offered rewards will not be a problem as the service is fully operational.
Determining the appropriate marketing strategy, finding the right marketing agency, and executing on it successfully will not guarantee our app's success.
It will be challenging to find and employ the right agency/people to help us execute our marketing campaign. Part of our success will be based on their ability to execute well. We will perform thorough research and verify prior successes as part of our due diligence to ensure we maximize our changes of succeeding.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (60 days)