Hi everyone, I have spent the last coupla days trying to load a short "Hello, I'm back and inspired video" to no avail. I will keep trying.
In the meantime, here is an update of Jigbone.... last you heard I was working on his arms.
Now , on to his legs....
It took some consideration to figure out how to do a joint that allowed the leg to move in all directions. I seriously thought a ball joint had to have more restrictions...but this one moved very easily the way I devised it. very happy about this discovery! After all he has to be able to get a serious jig on.
Not sure about the foot sculpts. They are a bit too human or something....may have to go more skeletal.
Things are lookin' a little foreshortened from this angle
OK, So, after this brilliant discovery things went quickly downhill...
mumbling humbly jumblies.
For one thing his arms fell off!
Yes, note to self: don't use just any ole fabric for joints. won't last.
And because I made his arms out of paperclay I was unsure how to proceed. Hmmm, why not make the shoulder joints a ball joint too.This would need some consideration.
Then I realized his legs were pretty weak...I used sculpey (which is normally pretty strong after baking) but the mistake I made was bulking up the inside with aluminum foil. Not sure , looking back, what possessed me to do this. The greatest diameter was only like a 1/2 inch. Oh well..live and learn....it made them really weak. Could snap em in half pretty easily.
So, I threw it all against the wall.
No....Just kidding, Jigbone's my buddy now.... too late for all that hatin' n stuff.
So, upon much pondering, cogitating and cud chewing I decided to make his limbs...all of them , out of wood. hardwood.
The hardest part of making a puppet from scratch with no sketches or drawings(cuz I caint) is figuring out the proportions and look of everything. I work better in 3D. So, once the specs part is figured out....making copies is easy. relatively.
lookin' kinda wide there.....had to narrow it down.
I actually finished two tibia as well but forgot to photograph them. next time.
When I took him apart I realized his shoulders needed a redo as well...so I disassembled the chaos of cardboard and wire and sculpted a little shoulder and collarbone. Structurally this will be much stronger(than cardboard). As well, I have made them to accept two ball joints...actually the ones I use for the shoulders will be a bit smaller than the ones you see in the pic.
Here is his hip and new shoulders. Lets hope Jigbone doesn't have an identity crisis and want all of his badass self sculpted out of wood.
Ok.... thats it fer today! Tomorrow or Tuesday look for another post about the Windwands I am making!! A Windwand is a musical instrument! I have been thinking about sound design for the Earth Shaman piece. I will talk about this and have some MP3 samples of coolio sounds.
Oh yes, and later in the week a post on the Earth Shaman progress! Got some interesting ideas.
love to Twig family. Heidi