ULTIMUS is a betting, bluffing and strategy boardgame for 2 to 6 players, where you do not play the gladiators but the spectators.
ULTIMUS is a betting, bluffing and strategy boardgame for 2 to 6 players, where you do not play the gladiators but the spectators. Read more
We have created a great board game for you. We want to publish our first 500 copies of ULTIMUS. Please help us make our dream come true and back our project. This is our first game, but there will be more to come...
Fred, Max & Alaric
- 1 Arena board.
- 6 Gladiator metal miniatures.
- 1 “Loudest spectator” metal miniature.
- 6 Health markers.
- 1 Net marker.
- 16 Betting cards.
- 80 Yelling cards.
- 1 Rulebooks in English (French and German available as PDF)
- 70 Gold coins
These are old preview of the prototype version we made ourselves.
Here are some of your first designs:
Here is the cover image:
The new cards could look like this:
We are also reworking the game map:
And we are working on the symboles of the gladiators
These are all not final, people who pledging will have a saying in what designs we will choose.
- ULTIMUS is a fun betting & bluffing game for 2 to 6 players from 12 to 99 years old, created by ONE MORE GAME. You do not play the gladiators, but the spectators. Your challenge is to influence what happens in the arena by shouting at the gladiators. The game lasts from ½ hour to 2 hours for three battles, depending on the number of players. However, players can choose to play more or fewer battles, since each battle can be played as a standalone.
- The game is divided into battles. At the beginning of every battle you get your gold, yelling cards and betting cards.
- Before the battle, the players bet on the different gladiators. Then the gladiators enter the arena to start the battle
- First, everyone plays a yelling card, face down.
- Then, one after the other, the players reveal their cards and execute what is written on each of them.
- One by one the gladiators will get killed until there is only one left. He is the winner of the battle, the ultimum gladiator.
- Finally the bets are revealed and the rewards are paid out. Then the next battle can start. The player with the most gold wins the game.
The 6 gladiators in the arena are all very different from each other. Let us quickly present them to you:
- Tigris: This ferocious animal is fast and dangerous. He likes to devour his opponents...
- Barbarus: He is the strongest of all gladiators. He hits hard and can take a lot of damage, but he is very slow.
- Murmillo: He is the classic gladiator, sword, shield and a good armour.
- Retiarius: With his net he can capture his enemies, and with his spear he can impale them.
- Dimachearus: He is very fast and agile, but he lacks strong attacks.
- Sagittarius: With his bow he can hit any gladiator in the arena.
For a better game experience we provide 7 metal miniatures:
The figure on the right is the token for the loudest spectator.
Theses miniatures are provided by North Star Military figures and Deezee Miniatures.
You can test ULTIMUS for free on the Tabletop Simulator:
Thank you 1.- €
You don´t have much money and that is fine. Thank you! We will put your name on our webpage. And we will keep you posted on the progress.
Print-out PDF versions 5.- / 10.- €
You get an email with a PDF version of the game, so that you can print it out yourself and test it. We will get you these print-out versions as soon as our goal is achieved. All cards, tokens and the rules will be included. We have a black & white and a color version.
The game 45.- €
You get the complete game shipped to your address. Thank you for your trust and have a lot of fun betting, bluffing and battling with our six gladiators.
Big backer 50.- €
First of all: Thank you for the great support! We will put your name into the rule book and on our webpage. You are making this project possible!
Of course the delivery will be on August. There was a bug here...
Play with us 70.- €
Of course you get the game, but on top of that you can come and playtest with the ONE MORE GAME team. This is a unique chance for gamers who like to develop games! Come and join us at our virtual table. You just need a computer, a headset, a good internet connection and some time. You will be invited as beta tester for one of our next games. And we might even invite you again if we like your input. It´s a great chance to meet the team; have some fun with us and doing what we all love so much: inventing games. Of course before playing with us you will need to agree to a NDA.
Grand sponsor 80.- €
You believe as much as we do in our project? You love gladiator games? In this case we can only thank you for your trust! We will list you as grand sponsor on the back of the box and on the rule book and of course on the website. You will get the game.
Complete package 90.- €
You want it all! Here you get all the options of the grand sponsor deal, and on top of that you are invited to play with us on the virtual table. You just need a computer, a headset, a good internet connection and some time. You will be invited as beta tester for one of our next games. And we might even invite you again if we like your input. It´s a great chance to meet the team; have some fun with us and doing what we all love so much: inventing games. Of course before playing with us you will need to agree to a NDA. We are really looking forward to meet you! Thank you very much!
Retailer deals 200.- / 385.- €
You own a board game shop? You want the game in your store? This is your chance! Here are two deals for retailers. We have a 5 games package and a 10 games package. You will get an official bill. The VAT is included in the price. As a thank you, we will put your store logo on the back of the box and your name under the grand sponsors list in the rule book.
What will we do with the money?
- Produce the game 37%
- Pay for the marketing 4%
- Pay the taxes to Germany 14%
- Kickstarter 8%
- Ship all parts (game, figures, ...) to get them together 10%
- Pay our artists and designers 26%
Here are some reviews from different people who have played with our prototypes:
L´épée à 2 nains
"Original game, with good mecanics and well balanced."
A game shop from geneva switzerland.
"ULTIMUS is a fast and fun boardgame. We enjoyed playing it, and the players got really loud as they tried to influence the gladiators. As ULTIMUS is more a fun game as the startegy game, the aspect of being a spectotar is very well elaborated."
A gameshop in Hamburg Germany.
Comic Buch und Spiel
"Prototypes of games, of course, do not bring such pleasure from the game, as a completely designed and finished product, but give the opportunity to try and evaluate the game. I will be very sorry if Ultimus does not come out, because in this game the secret goals are perfectly combined with simple but tactful combat mechanics, and all this is spiced with the need to communicate and negotiate. Sometimes you have to keep cool and bluff when they hit your gladiator, so no one will guess about your bet."
This is our planned timeline. Of course problems can occur and we might have some delays… but we will deliver in 2017 that is for sure!
It all started one night after playing, “Rumble in the dungeon”. A game I really like because it was quick, easy to learn and more fun than strategy… But since the strategic part of the game was absent I thought of a game, where you could participate a little more.
So I came up with the idea of the gladiators, and people betting on them. In the first version you could only bet on 2 guys, and only on victory. Also, there were no cards. Only a table and you rolled 3 dice. One for movement, one for the gladiator you would move and one for the action he would perform. The map was almost the same as now...
But there was still too much randomness in the game. So we added few cards, which would allow to reroll a dice and change the gladiator. Also the game was called CLAMOS, at the beginning.
But then we moved away from the “action table” a started to create the yelling cards, which would allow you to have more choices during the game…
We tested many versions... and tried out a lot of stuff...
Finally we added the possibility to make different types of bets, to make the game more diverse and interesting. You can see pictures in the updates...
After 12 version of decks, we came up with the final version… Now we are still finishing up the designs of the map, and of the cards… the rule book design will also get a rework…
I hope this gave you a good idea of the work we already put into this project... Please help us to finalise it...
This is the ONE MORE GAME Team:
- Fred: He invented the game. And then he reinvented it over 30 times with his friends.
- Max: We sometimes think he is a living calculator. Thanks to him the game is really well balanced!
- Alaric: He might have dices rolling inside his blood vessels… we couldn´t find any other explanation for his passion for games!
More information about what we do and plan can be found on our webpage:
Voice in the video: Castillo
Design: Kunst für Werbung, Detlef Krause
Cover and Artwork: Daniel Farin
Gladiators: Noth Star Military Figures
Tiger: Deezee Miniatures
Risks and challenges
Products presented on this Kickstarter page and during the campaign may be subject to change.
The metal figures are unpainted, and may not excatly look like as on the pictures.
We are fully aware of potential delays that may happen - the common ones being production, shipping, and customs delays or damaged goods due to transportation.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (60 days)