PLEASE NOTE: ALL PRICES ARE IN CAD, APPROXIMATE USD/EUR PRICE IS LISTED.
**STRETCH GOALS UNLOCKED!**
- REPAIR KIT: Each Clock Will Receive A Free Repair Kit. Each kit contains two additional IN-12 tubes and a 2mm hex key for accessing the casing. (Not that you'll need it!)
- 1st Goal - $11,000 (UNLOCKED): All clock backers receive a set of two 5"x7" prints and a nixie tube digit button! Extras may be added here depending on how close we get to 2nd goal.
- 2nd Goal - $16,500: Print sets will be upgraded to 8"x10" and will be signed with a personalized "Thank You"! Elite Backers and higher tiers will have their prints framed (I'll try and offer some choice in frame colour here).
WHO AM I? WHAT IS THIS CAMPAIGN?
My name is Kyle Miller and I am the owner/operator of TGT studios, a small studio in a small town located on the far west coast of Vancouver Island. My work has appeared on The Today Show, The Billboard Music Awards, multiple art venues, The Joe Rogan Experience, and a number of digital and print magazines. I've designed work for Grammy winning musicians and international design firms, and shipped worldwide.
The Retro Futurist Nixie Tube Clock Series is my ongoing project to develop my signature line of nixie tube clocks that are elegant, easy to use, and require no assembly or soldering skills. Each clock is handmade, by me, using exotic hardwoods such as black walnut, and materials such as copper, brass, and steel. This campaign represents the debut of the third model in the series, but the first wall clock, the MKIII. The campaign also features a re-issuing of the MKI and MKII clocks from my two previously successful campaigns.
Offering The Retro Futurist Nixie Tube Clock Series via Kickstarter allows me to purchase all electronics, tubes, and other parts and materials such as wood, screws, packaging, and shipping materials via wholesale. Additionally, I can set my shop up for a production run which greatly increases efficiency. Not having to constantly change blade, bits, angles, and machines is a big time saver. I'm only one person, so anywhere I can improve efficiency is a major plus. Proceeds from this campaign will go towards a few small shop upgrades as well as developing the next clock in the series.
SO WHAT IS A NIXIE TUBE?
Nixie tubes are cold-cathode vacuum tubes, developed in 1955 and used in the Soviet Union until the 1980's. The tubes function by passing a small electrical current through a cathode, resulting in a orange glow discharge that illuminates each digit. Each digit is illuminated separately, in sequence, as seen below in the colour and digit demo:
You can hear me discuss Nixie Tubes and my clock series in this interview on CBC Radio. All tubes are sourced from Russia & Ukraine and are authentic Soviet-era. All of the clocks feature LED backlighting that allows for hundreds of different colour combinations. The tubes are easily replaceable, and are socketed in as opposed to hard soldered.
WHAT ARE THE CLOCK'S FUNCTIONS?
- No soldering or assembly required!
- Tubes are socketed not soldered, so they are easily replaced.
- The clock is controlled by 4 buttons, located on the rear of the unit.
- The clock can be easily programmed for time (Hours/Minutes/Seconds) as well as the date (MM/DD/YY).
- Display options include both 12-hour and 24-hour time.
- Super-capacitor backup retains time during short power outages.
- Night mode: clock can be dimmed during night hours hours.
- Programmable alarm and snooze function.
- Tube Saver Functions: Clock can be programmed to shut off tubes during work-hours & weekends to extend nixie tube life.
- Tube Jumble: A rapid scrolling effect to extend tube life.
- The clock has 3 separate RGB LED's installed, which are fully configurable. Each clock has over 700 colour variants.
- Stores all feature preferences in on-board memory.
- Tubes are functionally silent during operation.
- Features an optional GPS Module input for auto-time sync.
SO TELL ME ABOUT THE QUALITY...
I select all my wood personally, from rough stock, and process it no differently than I would material for a piece of fine furniture. I build exclusively with hardwoods. I don't stain or dye any wood, focusing instead on natural colours and tones. Premium hardwoods are sourced locally where possible or custom ordered from Northwest Timber in Oregon or Hunski Hardwoods in Camas, Washington; both are boutique wood-shops specializing in master-grade figured woods. Wood selections will be made by survey after the campaign closes. Wood grain and colour will differ slightly from the clocks pictured as each is made to order and features its own unique characteristics.
All of the hardware utilized is a combination of brass, steel, nickel and chrome. The electrical components are provided by a small electronics firm with whom I have a long standing relationship. All clocks are tested during production of the individual units, and then again before shipping to ensure full functionally. Authentic soviet-era tubes are sourced from within Ukraine and Russia. I only use high-grade Stontronics power adapters that run exceptionally cool.
For further information, please read the Testimonials section at the bottom of the page.
WHAT MODELS ARE AVAILABLE?
There there are 3 models available in this campaign. The mantle clock (MKI), the desk clock (MKII), and the new wall clock (MKIII). The wall clock also included an extension for the power cable to allow for greater installation range. Each have their own separate pledge tiers. Materials are selected by post-campaign survey, where required.
The Mantle Clock (MKI)
The Desk Clock (MKII)
The Wall Clock (MKIII)
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
Each clock is available in a variety of packages, listed below.
Regular Packages start at $549 CAD (*$420 USD, €390) and include everything in the Nixie Clock package. Free shipping within North America. Once Early Backer units are gone, Regular Backer Price is $599 CAD.
Elite Packages start at $749 CAD (*$560 USD, €515) and include everything in the Nixie Clock Package. GPS Modules are included, as well as Limited Edition TGT Studios Branding & Production Number. Access to higher tier of stretch goals. Free Shipping within North America. LIMITED AVAILABILITY.
Limited Editions will have price denoted as they are specific models/combinations and cannot be changed.
Premium Packages are $949 CAD (*$670 USD, €620) and include everything in the Nixie Clock Package. GPS Modules are included, as well as Limited Edition TGT Studios Branding, Personal Series Designation & Production Serial Number (#1 of #1) plus a choice of Master-grade figured hardwood as well as choice of brass/steel hardware components. Personalization related to the design is also available. Free shipping within North America. ONLY ONE UNIT AVAILABLE. *Please Note - The Pledge Tier is the right price but says $799 in the pledge text. $949 is correct pricing*
*Non-CAD prices are estimations based on exchange rate at time of launch. Kickstarter exchange rate may differ slightly.
WHAT ARE THE CLOCK'S DIMENSIONS?
- The Mantle Clock (MKI) is approximately 16" x 5" x 9" and weighs around 6lbs. This is the largest clock.
- The Desk Clock (MKII) is approximately 11" x 6" x 6" and weighs around 4lbs. This is the smallest clock.
- The Wall Clock (MKIII) is approximately 14" x 11"x 6" and weighs around 5lbs. This is a medium sized clock.
WHAT DO YOU GET IN THE BOX?
Every Steampunk Nixie Clock Package includes:
- (1) Handmade Steampunk Nixie Clock Of Your Choosing
- (1) AC Adaptor For Your Country (CAN/US, EU, UK, AUS, NZ, etc)
- (1) 3m/10ft AC Adaptor Extension Cord (MKIII Only)
- (1) Digital Instructions: Printer Friendly & Phone/Tablet Versions.
- FREE CLOCK REPAIR KIT
Any stipulated extra rewards or alternate clock models relative to pledge tier choice, will of course also be included. Stretch goals will be added as necessary.
All shipping is handled by CanadaPost. All packages are insured to the full amount, and all packages have tracking. I ship using only priority methods, meaning that clocks are generally delivered within 5-10 business days of being shipped worldwide.
HOW ABOUT SOME TESTIMONIALS?
"My clock from TGT Studios is a great piece of artwork and fine craftsmanship...the clock is truly a unique piece and one that will be cherished into the next generation." -K.
"The clock is a true work of art, it is stunning, thank you!" -R.
"I received the clock...and it is gorgeous! Honestly, it is even more beautiful than I was anticipating..." - M.
"We are very pleased with our TGT Studios Nixie steampunk clock. As well as exhibiting a high degree of detail and finish, the clock is amazing to watch in action. It certainly is a great conversation piece!" -J.
"I went for the "Regular Backer - Steampunk Nixie Tube Clock with an additional GPS Module and absolutely love it. Excellent product, communication and project management. Looking forward to seeing what Kyle comes up with in the future. Thank you for a smooth and professional Kickstarter." -S.
Thanks & Shoutouts!
I'd like to thank all the Backers of my previous campaigns as well as @BoingBoing, @Doctorow (author Cory Doctorow), @GreatDismal (author William Gibson) and the @CBC for sharing my work, the Reddit community at large, the big homies @TPain and @JoeRogan for their support, as well as Louise_Blaine, aka the @Shiny_Demon.
Risks and challenges
There are little to no risks for the project. If you pledge for a clock, you will absolutely 100% receive a clock. Two previously successful campaigns are your proof.
As this is the third campaign (following the successful MKI & MKII, I have reliable sources for all parts and materials and am well versed in what it takes to run a successful campaign.
My previous campaigns saw a total of nearly 60 units shipped worldwide, not including post campaign sales, and each was on time.
As with all woodworking, there is going to be some variety in final colouring and grain pattern of each piece depending upon availability of stock. In the advent that any change need to be made to material selection, you will be specifically consulted with alternative options. All clocks are made to order.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (35 days)