About this project
What is DAMAGE INC.?
Damage Inc.is the story about a group of friends who are a part of a club that hunts supernatural creatures and super-powered metahuman for bounties…
But there is a big problem…
They suck at it.
Every job ends in a gunfight, an explosion and a ton of smacktalk.
Fresh from Scattered comics the Shadow Damage Crossover is a punk rock thrash fight, and is the beginning of a new arc for Damage Inc. Someone has sent them after Jason Dube’s Shadowhunters and now there's gonna be one hell of a brawl as their club in Downtown Sacramento is turned into a Supernatural Mosh pit by Damage Inc. bounty hunters looking to fill a contract.
What is in it?
- A quality glossy full color Floppy for part 1 of the Shadow Damage story arc filled with violence, humor and damn good artwork.
My Name is JAAAAMES BURTON!
I am an Award winning Artist/Writer who draws inspiration from a lifetime of Role Playing Games, being raised in the crazy life of my Biker father, and growing up in some chaotic places. Some of that gave me a lot of things to love, a lot of challenges to deal with, and the strength to survive.
As a professional illustrator I have knocked out multiple storyboard projects for independent film, illustrated for The News and Review magazines, Penciled and inked two issues of Vampire of the Lost Highway, I have done multiple covers for Knights of the Dinner Table, covers for Psychosis and I am best known for my artwork on the award winning book Inheritance, that I co created to the tune of 106 beautiful labor intensive pages in four issues.
Why am I doing this?
In 2007, just four or so weeks after my first child was born, I collapsed at work. When I woke up I was told that that I was dying of Level four lymphoma. It was caused and I kid you not, by working so much a virus damaged my weakened DNA.
After surviving, we lost my mom, my dad, our home, and my career. It reinforced that I needed to build a legacy for my children beyond just my paycheck. It had to be something to show them that chasing the dream of who you want to be takes hard work, and is built on choices. Telling kids they can dream is a good beginning, but showing them you can bust your ass and pull it off? That's the best gift I can give them.
Damage inc. is how I am now building that legacy. Every issue helps me emotionally heal, and every issue is an ode to the people who helped me get through one of the toughest experiences I have ever faced.
I have spent a life time working on other peoples dreams and now it's time to build mine. Damage inc. style, which means at some point I may jump through a second story window unloading two hand guns at my pursuers.
- Kickstarter is the best way for me to build independently. It is the opportunity to find and speak to people who are building their own projects and allow that creative spirit to fuel my project.
- I have sold books printed POD at cons and met amazing people along the way, but its time to grow.
- I built the budget so that 100% of this is going to the cost of printing, and creating the rewards. With left over copies of the new issues for the Cons!
Where are the funds going?
- As all of the work on this issue was done by yours truly. 100% of the funds are going to printing, reward creation cost, and shipping.
- There should also be left over issues for trips to Conventions.
What is The Plan?
- My plan is to use an amazing POD printer for my Kickstarter only work, and offset for the rest once a certain funding point is reached. This should speed up the orders. Being in Logistics as my day Job I am all to familiar with the ports and the hectic way shipping from over seas can cost Fans and Creators their sanity.
- The first goal is what I need to get this done, but if we can get to the first Stretch Goal of $2800 things change. Then we do Offset printing through Kracken Print and I add rewards!
- The custom items we have ordered before and have a great turn around. I am confident in the vendors ability to deliver.
- The Kickstarter will run 06/12/16 to 07/05/16
- As soon as Kickstarter exchanges the money the print orders will go off to the printers and begin before July is over. The domestic printer has about a month or so turn around time plus shipping so by October all of the books should be in California and ready for me to get my shipping on. I am estimating that everything will be shipped by October/November.
- There are some great people helping me with the Patches for the Vests and Hoodies their turn around time varies but it should fall into the same time span as the Book shipping.
- Here are a few pages from the issue, as members of Damage Inc. try to get into the backdoor of a club.
- Okay "force" their way in would have been more accurate. Maybe badly force...
Thank you all so much.
I grew up looking for heroes, I found them inside stories. Comics, TV, movies all became my way of aspiring to be more then what I was. As an adult I realized after surviving cancer that I had been empty for over a decade and it was because I had turned away from all of it in a quest to build a career. That emptiness gnawed away at me, and my family and I went through some drastic changes after losing my career, health and nest egg. That emptiness continued until the first time Damage Inc. showed up at my doorstep, printed. That day changed me, within a week I sat alone at my first con preying to sell my first book until a 7 foot pirate came and changed my life. He bought my first book with five gold coins, and all of the sudden I was worth someone's gold.
I want to share that.
Click here to download the PDF of the first issue of DAMAGE Inc. as a thank you for taking a look at this Kickstarter!
To each and every backer: My most sincere gratitude, thank you!
So please back the next arc of Damage Inc. it will support me bringing the comedic action supernatural bounty hunting idiots I believe in out to the world.
So far we have reached more than 40 backers and are at over 80%
So we have also released:
- PDF #1 Oxymoron from ComixTribe
- PDF #1 Shadowhunters from Scattered comics!
- PDF #1 Shaman's Destiny from Big Tree Comics
- 4 new Cera Vlog videos! lost my hero.
One more PDF is coming, Im finalizing this at the moment!!!
Now I am genuinely excited, this feeling is... GLORIOUS!!!! but were not done yet. For the next milestone of 90% I'm going to add a miniprint. This is a fathers day thing.
in 2010 my dad, the immortal Pitbull Jim fell for the last time. After a lifetime of being the larger than life unstoppable him the price was paid.
I lost my hero...
Kira Burton and my father were estranged in some way because s at the time. It would be years before she confronted how she felt. Without realizing it I kickstarted her emotions by adding this image to her poem. The result was a needed breakdown.
I sold ten of these in the 11x17 size, but because were running this on Fathersday I am going to do a mini print run and add it to the Mini print bundle and any bundle that also gets the prints.
So this is my Cera print 8*10 miniprint.
There is even more I am working out details on so that I can give my awesome backers as much as possible!
For ever ten backers I will ad more Cera Videos!!! My sister Kira is pretty awesome. She put something together doing some video as Cera from Damage Inc. The videos are a vlog of sorts showing Cera dealing with the mental trauma of draining Smudge in issue 1. Our family has mental health issues. There are people close to us fighting those battles and she is brave enough to mix that into them.
Draining a traumatized and imprisoned entity can have an effect on one. Some of them are heart breaking, and others are funny as hell. For every ten backers I will release another video. We have Ten. Give it up for my Punk Rock Poet Sister.
Ok, it is finally time to unleash the Stretchiness. So I thereby declare its time to do some DAMAGE to our stretch goals!
Risks and challenges
Well the artwork is 100% done for the book. The risks are all based on when the printers handle their business, and me getting things shipped. My day job is in logistics and I manage whole warehouses. So this shouldn't be a problem. However being in logistics as long as I have been I won't lie weird things happen. The good part is I have seen most of them before so I have a plan a and plan b all ready.
Damage Inc. Forever Forever Damage Inc.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)