Roots Leather Company
Roots Leather Company
One of a kind bags, backpacks and leather accessories carefully crafted to bring out the inner you! Handmade in Guatemala.
One of a kind bags, backpacks and leather accessories carefully crafted to bring out the inner you! Handmade in Guatemala. Read more
Introduction and aim
Hi my name is Maria Mercedes Colato and I am the founder of Roots Leather Company. My son, Luis Colato, is the co-founder. We both have worked incredibly hard as a team to bring these amazing products to light and to make this company a reality. We are a company that is inspired and committed to preserve cultural traditions by creating handbags, purses, and boots using the artisan handcrafted traditions of Guatemala with fresh and trendy designs. By doing this, we are creating a sustainable solution to improve the quality of life for Guatemalan artisans and weavers by creating custom textiles and re-purposing Mayan Huipiles into beautiful handbags, footwear and apparel.
We aim to set a precedent in social, ethical and environmental fashion by continuing to meet the needs of our customers through working with artisan groups that match our high standards. Roots Leather Company directly contributes to the livelihood and sustainability of the indigenous communities that these cherished items travel from.
Both my son and I were born in Guatemala, and all our lives we have been intrigued by the unique heritage and culture that our country has to offer. So I decided to create Roots Leather co: a company that brings beautiful and ethical handcrafted accessories to the world.
We Believe that you should never forget where you come from. For us our country and people are an essential part of who we are. Roots Leather Company is a way for us to share the passion and love for our country through it's wonderful colors, beautiful people and beautiful art.
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."
Giving the tools and the opportunities to the new generation of artisans is opening a new world to them. So they may be successful and engage in sustained economic development in a country that is in great need
- Handmade: Our products are handmade by Guatemalan artisans, using techniques that have been used for centuries. The hand-loomed fabrics and waist-loomed technique is an extremely time consuming process and requires immense focus on detail, but in turn produces a beautiful and very high quality product
- Organic Premium materials: The cotton used for the fabrics is 100% organic and comes from the natives own cotton fields. They use natural dyes from roots, leaves, flowers and different types of rocks. This process is safe and protects fabrics from fading.
- 100% Genuine leather: The leather used for our products is 100% real leather from Guatemala and Brazil.
- The Design: Our products are made using and enhancing the Guatemalan heritage while also following fashion global trends.
The Social Impact
"A Dream with a purpose"- Maria M.
With the purchase of our products, not only do you receive an incredible piece of craftsmanship, but you also help the craftsmen themselves by creating job opportunities in a country that is in great need of them. They get to do what they love and make a living doing it, and that is something that we are very happy to be able to provide for these amazing people.
Help us to support this project, here are a few items available for backers.
Different colors available:
Why are we crowdfunding?
We have the passion. We have the ideas. We have the means of creating these products. Now all we need now is YOUR help to help take this company to the next level. The main focus of this campaign is to structure and finance our production and be able to have the capital to keep up with the demand so that we always have enough bags for everyone to love and enjoy.
Kickstarter funding will aid in the following:
- Inventory: Start-up capital to make more products available and to make new designs for people to enjoy, as well as lowering manufacturing costs.
- Manufacturing Tools: Assist in the purchasing of new equipment and supplies needed by our artisans
- Manufacturing Speed: Help people by creating more jobs and hiring more passionate people to do what they love, while also increasing manufacturing speed.
Risks and challenges
We plan on a smooth fulfillment, but remember, the fabric called "huipil", used for making the bags is entirely hand weaved, and a piece of art, therefore, every hand bag is unique, so small variations in the pattern can happen, but the overall look, and color combination will maintain.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)