Velex Automobile OBD Solution: Diagnostics & Telematics
Velex Automobile OBD Solution: Diagnostics & Telematics
Smart Car Care : Fully Integrated, Cloud-based Automobile Solution. Bluetooth 4.0, Vehicle Health, Safety & Convenience
Smart Car Care : Fully Integrated, Cloud-based Automobile Solution. Bluetooth 4.0, Vehicle Health, Safety & Convenience Read more
About this project
Velex Automobile OBD Solution
The Velex Automobile Solution is an on-board, cloud-based diagnostics system that empowers its end-users by providing access and visibility into their vehicles' systems and operations.
The Velex Automotive Solution is a combination of uniquely designed hardware sensors, cloud services, and mobile applications developed to promote vehicle health awareness, control emissions, and cultivate better driving habits.
The Velex Automobile Solution is the most complete hardware/software co-designed on-board diagnostics platform available to the everyday driver. This solution delivers total visibility into what you drive, how you drive, where you drove, how to contribute to a cleaner environment, how to better manage your driving expenses in the process and a lot more.
- Smart Car Care
- Vehicle diagnostics & telematics
- Low power CMOS design / smart sleep mode
- Powered by Bluetooth 4.0 – future focused technology developed to drive the Internet of Things (IoT)
- Free app available for IOS & Android
- One-time purchase, no additional fee
- Hardware compatibility with other OBD apps
- Quick registration & connection from Android/IOS device to Velex Sensor - average one-time setup duration: 20 Seconds
- Secure encrypted connection with added security of cloud based app instance
- And much more
- Velex Bluetooth Hardware Sensors
- Velex Cloud Computing Infrastructure
- Velex Diagnostic Applications (IOS & Android)
- Velex Service Providers - [ COMING SOON! - APRIL, 2017 ]
The Velex Sensor is a portable device that connects to the vehicle's Engine Control Unit (ECU) via the On-Board Diagnostics (OBD) Ports. This device intercepts data from the vehicle and makes it available via secure, smart, and fast Bluetooth 4.0 wireless technology. The hardware was carefully designed to be lightweight, low energy, highly durable, and easy to install.
The Velex Sensor supports all protocols and works with all vehicles sold in the United States, 1996 and newer.
- ISO 9141-2 (5 baud initialization, 10.4 kbaud)
- ISO 14230-4 KWP (5 baud initialization, 10.4 kbaud)
- ISO 14230-4 KWP (fast initialization, 10.4 kbaud)
- ISO 15765-4 CAN (11 bit ID, 500 kbaud)
- ISO 15765-4 CAN (29 bit ID, 500 kbaud)
- ISO 15765-4 CAN (11 bit ID, 250 kbaud)
- ISO 15765-4 CAN (29 bit ID, 250 kbaud)
- SAE J1850 PWM (41.6 kbaud)
- SAE J1850 VPW ( 10.4 kbaud)
- SAE J1939 CAN (29 bit ID, 250* kbaud)
Velex Sensor supports EOBD, JOBD and other international variations of OBD-II standard.
- Operating Voltage: 4.0 V - 6.0 V Operating
- Temperature: -4.0*C - 65.0*C
- Operating Voltage: 8 - 20V DC
- Power Consumption: Sleep Mode: 0.05W;
- Active Mode: 0.2W
- Compatible Devices: Android and IOS Smartphones
- Dimensions: 2.0" width; 1.8" height; 1.0" depth
The Velex Cloud Services Infrastructure offers services such as application registration, vehicle & maintenance information, and relays a wealth of vehicle resources. These services are able to communicate seamlessly with the registered VDA application.
Velexsoft also offers an online web application access to view vehicle information such as trip, expenses, maintenance and so on.
The VDA is a carefully designed mobile application available on Android and IOS. With fast Bluetooth 4.0 connection, this thing will not skip a beat. Its custom user interface allows users to seamlessly browse vehicle information.
The app ultimately makes the information about your vehicle useful at your fingertips.
The VDA is feature packed, yet totally useful and easy to comprehend for the everyday user.
Figure out what is wrong with your vehicle on time and save money on repairs.
Expensing has never been smarter !
Ever wondered what car shopping should be like?
It's time to listen to what your engine is saying!!!
Measure Engine Performance
Comprehensive Vehicle Maintenance
Thank you for your interest in our product. We at Velexsoft Technologies are committed to continually improving our product and its interfaces. The videos below show the ease of product registration, vehicle integration and by using the Velex Diagnostics Application you will experience real-time information from your vehicle as well as specifications for your vehicle based on its Vehicle Identification number. The prototypes will continue to undergo performance and user interface enhancements.
1. Product Registration - By downloading and using the Velex Diagnostic Application, you can register your Velex Sensor by simply submitting you name, email address and Velex Sensor#.
2. Register & Connect - Here we demonstrate how quick and easy and it is to register and connect to any vehicle. This step takes approximately 20 seconds and can be done by anyone without any technical experience. (There is no need to configure anything, input any IP addresses or MAC passwords etc.)
3. Connect to Multiple Vehicles - In this clip we demonstrate how easy it is to use the same Velex Sensor with another vehicle.
4. Monitors - Monitors are groups of sensors that perform specific tests for readiness and emissions checks. The below clip explains what monitor resources are available, explanations for what the monitors do, display the current status of each monitor available and assist in troubleshooting any monitor related issues.
5. Dude “Where is my Car?" - "Where is my Car?" is a feature in the app available when you are away from your vehicle in offline mode (Not currently connected to your vehicle). It can locate and guide you to your vehicle and is integrated with Google Maps.
6. Speed Limit Indicator - This feature is available via Google Services and provides basic information about the road you are currently on and includes address, speed limit, road type and altitude to name a few. Here we demonstrate the use of speed limit and voice notification.
7. Records Maintenance & Expenses – This video demonstrates the tracking and logging of completed maintenance tasks and other expenses.
8. Vehicle Diagnostics - Here the basic diagnostics are demonstrated by going through the vehicle parameters, monitors, reviewing trouble codes, viewing causes and clearing trouble codes.
9. Vehicle Information Module – This is one of the processes that interact with our cloud services. Once a vehicle is connected the first time, a comprehensive list of vehicle information is downloaded and is used to create a unique profile for that vehicle on that app.
10. Real Time Data – This demonstration briefly shows how you can monitor engine performance while driving.
For more information :
This project began as a simple idea scribbled far back in May 2013. Since its inception, it has brought together a group of professionals from diverse backgrounds. Our goal has been to deliver, not just a piece to the puzzle, but a complete end to end solution.
We love cars, we care about safety, and we value ideas that contribute positively to a healthier environment. We also value information and technology, as well as how they can positively affect the things we care about. As a team, our experience and passion make us think differently and inspire us to be innovative.
Velex Sensor v1.0 and the Velex OBD Mobile Framework v1.0 were completed in March 2015 with full diagnostic capabilities.
The Velex Sensor 2.0 was developed to address functions pertaining to vehicle owner’s day-to-day experience: emissions, parking, mileage tracking, speeding, maintenance, vehicle expenses, and visibility into vehicle components & specifications.
Additional Enhancements in Version 2.0
- Upgrade in firmware and casing
- Upgrade in connectivity algorithm
- Velex Cloud introduced for complementary services
- Mobile framework re-engineered to a service-oriented mobile architecture
- Velex Auto Health Check feature was added - leveraging vehicle expected specs/values to determine engine performance and operational efficiency
- Standard vehicle state data and reporting structure was developed for communicating vehicle statuses remotely.
Product Launch Timeline
We at Velex Technologies are excited to bring our product to market and we know it will improve the vehicle ownership experience for all our customers. To make this dream a reality we need your support. Though the infrastructure to support the Velex Sensor product is in place and functioning, the Velex Diagnostic Application needs to be enhanced to create a better user experience to take the overall solution to the next level.
Please join our quest to bring this solution to life by becoming one of our Kickstarters. All proceeds will be used to complete development and bring our product to you.
Velex Sensor Prototype Unit Development: Completed
Velex Cloud Services Infrastructure Development: Completed
Velex Diagnostic Application (VDA): Advanced prototyping for both Android and IOS apps are in progress
- Complete application development phase
Enhance user interface
- Complete quality assurance phase
- Begin production run #1 for product distribution
Mobile technologies such as location awareness and interactions with external systems over a network have significant benefits in our daily lives. However, they pose some concerns. Velexsoft solution was carefully designed to address some of these concerns.
The adoption of cloud services provide features such as registration, app authentication, software configuration, and dissemination of vehicle information to mobile devices. The Velex Solution was designed to not allow for remote access to the vehicle’s on-board diagnostic system outside of the preconfigured and authorized mobile application instances.
Real-time vehicle data retrieved by the sensors are organized and stored on the end users mobile device. User has the option to upload vehicle information to the cloud or manage vehicle information from mobile devices alone. Only the end user has access to this information and can share this with whomever he/she chooses including service providers.
Obtaining route information, which includes speeding and parking information, can be disabled. If enabled, all of the information is stored on the end-users mobile device, and the end-user can choose to upload to the cloud or not. We do not access, transfer, nor share this information.
Velexsoft Technologies is a startup company in San Mateo, California. We are a team of industry experienced experts in computing, engineering and manufacturing fields. Velex Automobile Solution is our first product on Kickstarter and we are confident that we can outperform expectations.
Oyewole Oyegbami: Solution Architect, and principal developer, with over 12 years of work experience in IT. Worked as an IT consultant in a number of mid-sized to large organizations, and led many IT projects of various scales & magnitudes including global projects. Specializes in software architecture, firmware designs, and mobile application design & development. Has a bachelor's degree in Urban Planning & master’s degree in Computer Science.
Israel Ayoola: Cloud Server Administrator, an IT expert with 29 years of work experience in various computing and information technology servicing organizations ranging from public to private sectors. Has headed IT and operations departments, and led many IT projects and initiatives. Specializes in database and cloud server administration, software development and systems security. Has a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science and an MBA in Information Technology.
Rolfred Ulangca: IOS Development Lead, experienced in Java application and IOS design and development. Has over 10 years working experience in the finance and mortgage lending industry plus 4 years experience in branch management. Certified in Java application development.
Bryant Mercado: Lead Mechanical Systems Analyst, worked as an Engineer in numerous establishments. Adept in complex systems design and analysis and has managed numerous mechanical systems projects of varying scale and complexity. Experienced in Leading Environmental Energy Design (LEED) projects. Has bachelor degrees in Mechanical Engineering and Physics.
Anand Jameson: Business Development Lead, worked for several, small and large Saas-based technology companies. Experienced developing go-to-market strategies, setting and exceeding revenue targets, and building business partnerships. Has a bachelor's degree in Business Administration Economics.
Ndubuisi Emenogu: Software Engineer, experienced in the design, implementation, and testing of large scale software systems. Specializes in control systems engineering and android development. Has a bachelor's degree in Philosophy, bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, and master’s degree in Computer Science.
Albert Chang: Media coordinator, an independent film maker, experienced in content creation and promotional video production. Produced videos for professional entertainers and non-profit organizations in the Los Angeles area. A professional entertainer, founded Sleightlymusical with over a 140,000 subscribers and 12 million views on Youtube. Has a bachelor's degree in Music.
Disclaimer : Final product may change due to product optimization
IPhone is the registered trademark of Apple
Android is a trademark of Google
Risks and challenges
The challenge we currently face are in the areas of compatibility and connectivity
There is a wide range of android devices from smartphones to tablets as well as operating system versions and supported APIs. The initial goal of supporting all android devices at product launch proved to be resource intensive. These and many other reasons have forced us to certify the Jan 2017 release only on smartphones running android version 4.4 - 6.0.1 ( API 19-23 ).
With regards to IOS development, the goal to support all iPhone and iPads devices has proven more challenging than expected. We plan to support iPhones 5 & 6 at Jan 2017 product launch. iPad support will be added in future versions of the application.
Connectivity issues are of serious concerns in the OBD mobile application development domain. Issues circling around accurately identifying vehicles protocol to keeping steady and consistent wireless connections between the mobile device and the sensor. These issues made us adopt the hardware/software co-design strategy, and to develop a proprietary connection algorithm. We are very confident our solution effectively resolves this problem, however, we have a quality assurance procedure and certification process for various vehicle models/mobile phone versions that we must successfully complete prior to product launch.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (32 days)