- This is a new, totally updated edition of Tom Lehmann's The City
- Now in English for the first time
- Featuring new, beautiful art and graphics by João Tereso
- #21 in the Gryphon Bookshelf Series (GBS)
- 10% off MSRP, + a FREE 33-card expansion, The Expanded City
- Stretch Goals keyed to number of Backers, adding iconic cities and a mini expansion
- Fill out your GBS with great prices on Optional Buys
Players are rival builders racing each other to develop a city by building luxury homes, airports, malls, business centers, etc. Each round, players construct buildings, score victory points, and receive income. Once any player has reached 50 or more victory points, the game ends. The player with the most victory points wins!
The City is a fast-paced, simultaneous-play, filler type race game that typically plays 20-30 minutes and scales well with all numbers of players (ages 10+) ranging from 2 to 5.
What's New or Changed about Gameplay?
- The Factory (2 copies in the game) adds a new strategy
- 5 cards have been tweaked for better balance and game play
- Victory point chips included for much easier & clearer scoring
The Expanded City -- KS Backers get this FREE bonus expansion, not included in retail version:
- Adds 33 more cards, including 16 new ones: Neighborhood Pub, Waterfront, Auto Race Track, Tourist Attraction, Church, Fast Food Outlet, Fashion District, Café, Hotel, Upscale Bar, and more!
- Expands the game to 6 players.
- Strengthens "Upscale", "School", and "High Rise" strategies.
Prolific designer Tom Lehmann is a former economist, programmer, technical writer, and game publisher who now designs strategy board, card, and dice games full-time. He is the designer of games such as Race for the Galaxy, Roll for the Galaxy, Jump Drive, Favor of the Pharaoh, To Court the King, Phoenicia, Roll Through the Ages: Iron Age, and The City!
$10,000 - Minimum Funding Level:
This will fully fund the campaign and we will produce this great new game edition for our Kickstarter Backers!
At a total of 500 Backers:
We have added a 6-card bonus pack that will feature 6 of Washington’s iconic locales meant to replace cards in The City base game. This pack will be included with each pledged copy of The City but will not be included in the retail edition of the game (but offered to retailers who back through this campaign). These iconic city packs are in addition to the base game cards.
At a total of 650 Backers:
We have added a 6-card bonus pack that will feature 6 of Seoul’s iconic locales meant to replace cards in The City base game. This pack will be included with each pledged copy of The City but will not be included in the retail edition of the game (but offered to retailers who back through this campaign). These iconic city packs are in addition to the base game cards.
At a total of 800 Backers:
We have added a 6-card bonus pack that will feature 6 of Paris’ iconic locales that will replace cards in The City base game. This pack will be included with each pledged copy of The City but will not be included in the retail edition of the game (but offered to retailers who back through this campaign). These iconic city packs are in addition to the base game cards.
When we reach a total of 1,000 Backers:
We will add a 6-card Eco mini-expansion featuring all new cards to build such as a Pedestrian Zone, Alternative Transportation, an Eco-Building, Green Energy Plant, and Ridesharing. Unlike the iconic city replacement cards, these cards are added to the game. These cards include new icons and scoring possibilities to add more variance to the game. More details to come if we unlock this Stretch Goal.
Backing at the General Contractor pledge level will grant you notifications of KS Updates as well as access to the PledgeManager, which will launch roughly 2-3 weeks after the campaign ends. Keep in mind that price of The City may increase during the PledgeManager. For the best possible prices, pledge during the campaign!
We love local game stores and enjoy supporting them all around the world by offering the special Kickstarter versions of our games to retailers through our PIP program! If you are interested in carrying The City specifically and Eagle-Gryphon Games in general, please send an email to our Sales Director, Jason Grantz (firstname.lastname@example.org) for further information on how to place your pre-order for this fantastic game. Jason will also provide you with further information about our line-up of other great quality games and make sure you stay up-to-date with all of our special promotions!
Pre-ordering guarantees you'll receive your copies well in advance (likely 90 days or more) of the official retail release date! This offer is only available to Brick & Mortar retail stores! Proof of status will be required.
Here is our proposal to Retailers for The City:
Pre-order a minimum of 6 copies at 50% of MSRP + shipping. You must agree to and follow our PIP rules (available from Jason). Retailers who pre-order will get their pre-ordered copies approx. 90 days before the official retail release date. Retailers who pre-order during the course of this campaign may purchase the Expanded City expansion for a discounted price.
Backing at the Architect pledge level gets you a copy of The City, GBS edition (MSRP $30) PLUS a FREE KS Bonus of the 33-card Expanded City (MSRP $10).
Backing at the Master Builder pledge level brings you The City, Gryphon Bookshelf Series (GBS) edition (MSRP $30) PLUS a FREE KS Bonus of the 33-card Expanded City (MSRP $10). In addition, you will receive each and every one of the additional TWENTY (20) games in the Gryphon Bookshelf Series!
The Gryphon Bookshelf Series (GBS):
- Roll Through the Ages: Iron Age (GBS Edition)
- Gem Dealer
- For Sale
- High Society
- Incan Gold (2018 Edition)
- Looting London
- Birds on a Wire
- Masters Gallery
- I'm the Boss: The Card Game
- Lords & Ladies
- Wyatt Earp
- XENON Profiteer
- Titan Dice
- Cheeky Monkey (GBS Edition)
- Fleet: The Dice Game
See below for a short description of many of the games in the GBS.
- We pledge to KS Backers that all backers, of any sort, who have paid in advance, will be sent their copies before any others who have not backed in advance. This means that you will be shipped your game before or at the same time as retailers who have backed via KS/PIP and paid in advance; and international distributors who have backed and paid in advance; and those who have backed on PledgeManager and paid in advance.
- We pledge to you that, for a period of at least 90 days after the last of the scheduled shipments are made (pursuant to the pledge above) to any of those who have paid in advance for the game, we will only sell this game: 1) at full retail MSRP on our own Eagle-Gryphon website; or any other website--e.g. Amazon or eBay, controlled by Eagle-Gryphon Games; 2) at conventions which occur at the time of release of the game or within 90 days of the release of the game.
- In other words, we pledge to do our best, within reason, to insure that you will be among the very first owners of this game and that you will have purchased this game at a price significantly less than you will be able to buy this game for at least the first 90 days after it is released to the public.
To purchase Optional Buys, you must increase your pledge by the value of the Optional Buys you wish to purchase (see prices below). To do so, simply click the Manage Your Pledge button and increase it by the cost of the Optional Buys desired.
You will be able to indicate to us the specific Optional Buys that you have chosen in the PledgeManager period which follows this Kickstarter campaign by roughly two weeks. Note: In the rare event that we would run out of stock of an Optional Buy before the close of the Pledge Manager, we will offer a full refund for any extra funds pledged.
Gryphon Bookshelf Series, a.k.a. the GBS
OFFERED AT LOW PRICES, reflecting GREAT DISCOUNTS available only to GBS Kickstarter Backers
Also Designed by Tom Lehmann, #2 in the GBS:
- Roll Through the Ages: Iron Age $30 (msrp $40) - Build your empire with the new GBS edition of Roll Through the Ages: Iron Age, the sequel to Matt Leacock's Roll Through the Ages: Bronze Age.
- Roll Through the Ages: Iron Age - Mediterranean Expansion $14 (msrp $18) - The Mediterranean Expansion adds overseas settlements to the mix via a central pegboard that all players share. Players race to reap the benefits of strategic colonies: Crete for fleets; Spain for mining; Carthage for wheat; Gaul for armies. Syracuse, the home of Archimedes, and Alexandria provide vital innovations.
- For Sale $24 (msrp $30) - Going once! Going twice! Sold to the highest bidder! Bid and bluff your way to purchase the most valuable real estate for the lowest amount of money, then turn around and sell those houses (and shacks and space stations) for cold hard cash. Be the richest mogul at the end of the game to win this Stefan Dorra -- a classic "filler".
- High Society $19 (msrp $26) - Travel the world and acquire wonderful luxuries during the turn of the 19th century as you become a member of High Society. After acquiring your new wealth, you now face the enviable challenge of becoming the wealthiest and most admired tycoon of them all. In the day and age of mansions, castles, and extravagant luxuries, there are so many choices of where to spend your money.
- Incan Gold (2018 Edition) $24 (msrp $30) - Incan Gold is an award-winning game in which players push their luck as they head into a ruined temple, attempting to find the most jewels. Each turn, a card is turned over that increases the gold found in a temple or shows a hazard. Players can attempt to escape, keeping the loot that they've acquired, or stay in the temple, hoping for increased profits. As players escape, those in the temple will acquire bigger shares of each pile of gold found, but also run the risk of dying if the same hazard card is drawn twice. Up to eight people can play this game, so it works very well at parties and other gatherings, as players decide whether or not to stay or leave the temples. With quality components and a compelling theme, Incan Gold will be the first choice of large groups looking for a fun filled game.
- Cornucopia $19 (msrp $26) - Its Harvest Time! In Cornucopia, your goal is to fill your basket with a bountiful collection of fruits and vegetables while at the same time correctly predicting how long it will take you to fill your basket. You can try to assemble a basket with only one type of fruit or vegetable, which is more difficult to do, or you can try to collect the entire range of harvest products. In either case, you want to complete your harvest as efficiently as possible to earn the most coins. Players can bet and win more coins by correctly predicting the outcome (success or failure) of their opponents’ efforts to assemble their harvest, so players stay involved and engaged in the game even when it is not their turn!
- Botswana $19 (msrp $26) - On safari in Botswana, you might be able to spot lions, rhinos, elephants, leopards, and zebras, but in this game, you will spot them for sure! But can you guess which ones will be worth the most at the end of this safari? Play the right cards at the right time, collect the best animals, score the most points and win the game. This kid-friendly title, designed by Reiner Knizia, has easy and quick rules, making it fast to learn & yet challenging to play—for all family members young and old.
- I'm the Boss: The Card Game $19 (msrp $26) - A game of creating and manipulating a deal so you can get the biggest “piece of the action”. If the cards don’t go your way, spoil a deal and frustrate your opponents by turning the deal from a big profit into a big loss. Through cunning deal-making, and favoring your “Cousins” (and by throwing in some guile and backstabbing too), acquire the most money to prove once and for all that you are “The Boss”!
- Lords & Ladies $24 (msrp $30) - Build an aristocratic family's legacy through marriage, hiring servants, having children while crushing rivals with gossip and betrayal.
- Wyatt Earp $19 (msrp $26) - The aim of the game for each bounty hunter is to earn the most money from capturing famous outlaws. 2 to 4 players take up the roles of Sheriffs who are hot on the outlaws' tails, trying to capture the outlaws with biggest rewards on their heads.
- Sleuth $19 (msrp $26) - A classic deduction game from master designer Sid Sackson. Players are searching for the missing gem, one of 36 gem cards hidden before the start of the game. The remainder of this gem deck – with each card showing 1-3 diamonds, pearls or opals in one of four colors – is distributed evenly among the players, with any remaining cards laid face up. Thus, you and everyone else starts with some information about what's not missing; and your challenge of course is to identify the one gem that is missing.
- Musée $19 (msrp $26) - In this fast-paced card game, you collect impossibly valuable works of art and put them on display in your own personal art museum, the Musée. The only problem is that your opponents are doing the very same thing! Each gallery must be organized properly by exhibit number, but to succeed you must balance your passion for order with the need for public acclaim.
- XENON Profiteer $24 (msrp $30) - XENON Profiteer employs an innovative deck-deconstruction mechanism from designer T.C. Petty III. In XENON Profiteer, you take the role of an entrepreneurial engineer striving to specialize and optimize your Air Separation Facility in order to emerge as a titan of the emerging market for Xenon. Others are racing to achieve similar prestige however, and only the best among you will be victorious.
- Titan Dice $24 (msrp $30) - You are the Titans! As sons and daughters of Gaia you are giant deities of incredible strength and the supreme rulers of the legendary Golden Age. Once imprisoned by the Olympians, you have escaped and must now prepare for all-out war. Though unified in this goal, your sibling rivalry is stronger than ever as you strive to flex your power. To prove your dominance, you must gather mighty beasts to build your army.
- Cheeky Monkey $24 (msrp $30) - It's a zoo in here! Those meddling monkeys have set all the animals loose, but do you want to catch a pod of walruses, a journey of giraffes, or a zeal of zebras? You can draw as many animal tokens as you want, but don't be to cheeky! Cheeky Monkey is press-your-luck hours of fun for everyone from wise old elephants to young pups.
- Fleet: The Dice Game $24 (msrp $30) - An exciting new strategic roll and write dice game from the creators of Fleet! Fleet: The Dice Game is heavier than many roll and write games and captures the tense, meaningful decisions of Fleet.
- Fleet: Dice Tower $6 (msrp $8) - This 3mm punchboard dice tower and dice tray is the perfect companion piece for Fleet: The Dice Game.
Age of Steam - Deluxe Edition
Steam-belching iron horses roar across the wild plains! Age of Steam relives the era when pioneering U.S. railroads built the tracks that transformed America's economy. Back in an all new Deluxe Edition with art and graphic design by Ian O'Toole, Age of Steam Deluxe Edition features 6 maps for many different player counts, poker chips and an all-new color scheme.
Coming to Kickstarter on March 7th, 2019
Vital Lacerda has given us The Gallerist, Vinhos Deluxe, Lisboa, and Escape Plan. His next deluxe game sets players on the planet Mars where they will manage colonization of the planet while developing technologies, collecting resources and utilizing scientists.
Coming to Kickstarter on April 18th, 2019
For this campaign, we are charging shipping during the Kickstarter campaign. Note that the Shipping costs for any Optional Buys (e.g. additional copies of The City; add-on games, etc.) will be calculated and billed during the PledgeManager which follows the Kickstarter campaign. We will ship your rewards, en masse, to these international fulfillment partners: Board Game Bliss (Canada), VFI Asia (Asia Pacific), Boosterbox (The Netherlands), and MeepleLogistics / Philibert (EU) and Aetherworks (Australia). Our Fulfillment Partners will then see that your orders get to you quickly and safely, regardless of where you live in the world.
Note: WE DO NOT SHIP TO Russia, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, or Afghanistan.
Risks and challenges
At Eagle-Gryphon Games we stand by our products, but sometimes issues do happen. Please contact our customer service department with regard to any such issues within 90 days of receiving your copy of the game.
Eagle-Gryphon Games has completed 80+ Kickstarter projects to date. All of those projects have either been completely delivered or are in production right now.
We will always do our best through Kickstarter Updates to keep you as informed as possible as to the status of your game(s). However, in this business some uncertain factors are beyond our control, such as holidays, customs, quality control, inspection delays, inclement weather and dock strikes - to name a few. Please understand we have little to no control over such factors. We assure you that you will be the first to know any developments as we learn them.
Put simply: you will get everything we promise to you when you pledge to one of our Kickstarter projects, and it will be delivered to you in as timely a manner as possible.
Shipping issues are relatively uncommon, but they do sometimes occur. We double check all of your games for damage before sending them to you. However, there is a chance that your games may get damaged during shipping by the carrier. If your package is damaged, please contact us so we can assist you.
We will not ship to Russia, the Ukraine and certain places in Asia and the rest of the world, except for specially-made arrangements wherein the Backer takes the risk involved in receiving the package.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (22 days)