$60
pledged of $3,000pledged of $3,000 goal
6
backers
0seconds to go
Funding Unsuccessful
The project's funding goal was not reached on Fri, June 7 2013 2:37 AM UTC +00:00
Lee Matthew EvansBy Lee Matthew Evans
First created
Lee Matthew EvansBy Lee Matthew Evans
First created
$60
pledged of $3,000pledged of $3,000 goal
6
backers
0seconds to go
Funding Unsuccessful
The project's funding goal was not reached on Fri, June 7 2013 2:37 AM UTC +00:00

About

For the past year, I've started reviewing every English-language NES game on my website (downwardscompatible.com) from A-Z in an attempt to chronicle the NES. I've called the series NES Replay, and now I'd like to compile this in an e-book.

"Why should I pay for an e-book when I can just view the reviews on your site?" A good question. This isn't just going to be piles of reviews in a book. Here's what's being done:

1) I've heavily edited most of the reviews to clarify my points and add details about the games.

2) I've written several essays on NES-related subjects that are exclusive to the book.

NES Replay Volume 1 will hopefully be the first of 16 volumes that should cover every game from A-to-Z. They'll include screenshots, details and comparisons to the modern day.

But I still need your help to get this project the best it can be.

How Far Are You With The Book?

The book is 75% written. The other 25% just needs heavy editing, and that's going to be worked on the second I hit "Save" on this Kickstarter.

What's this Kickstarter For?

What this Kickstarter will accomplish are these four things:

1) Get a professional editor to go over the book and make sure there aren't any speling or gramer misteaks.

2) Format the book professionally, since including pictures and other doohickeys can sometimes throw off the pages on an e-book, from what I understand.

3) Make sure I have the right legalese to cover my butt.

4) Any penny left over will go into advertising the book.

So Why the NES?

Because it's one of the most important flashpoints of bringing video games into the mainstream. Because it's the first system a lot of people played. Because it can teach us so much about what gaming can accomplish and what it can't. Because it's there.

What If You Don't Get Funded?

I'm still doing this. If I don't get funded, the project may not turn out as good as I'd like, but it'll still come out. All this is just to ensure that it's absolutely the best book I can make.

Risks and challenges

1) Legal Obstacles. This project is covered Fair Use statutes, since this is a transformative work. Here's what that means:

Let's say I make a game called Super Fario Brothers with my main characters being Fario and Muigi. I'll get sued so hard my ancestors will feel it.

However, if write a critical essay explaining what Super Mario Brothers did right and what it did wrong while including information about the game, I can do that. It's a critique, not a copy of the game. It's the reason that a movie review can have a still from the movie, that video game reviews can have screenshots and logos, and the like.

I still want to cover my butt, though, from a legal standpoint and make sure I have the right disclaimers.

2) A Fear Of Failure. I've been writing game reviews for about six years through my site and through gamingtrend.com. I think I'm pretty good and that I've improved as time goes on. However, there's always that little bell in the back of your head with that squeaky voice that says, "You're gonna fail! Why even tryyyyy!"

I want to take that bell, rip it out of my head and step on it. I need people who believe in me and believe in the project to make that happen.

Learn about accountability on Kickstarter

Questions about this project? Check out the FAQ

Support

  1. Select this reward

    Pledge $10 or more About $10

    An e-book copy of NES Replay Vol. 1 for your reading pleasure.

    Less
    Estimated delivery
    Ships to Anywhere in the world
    6 backers
    $
    Kickstarter is not a store.

    It's a way to bring creative projects to life.

    Learn more about accountability.
  2. Select this reward

    Pledge $50 or more About $50

    An e-book copy of NES Replay Vol. 1 AND a special thanks in the book itself.

    Less
    Estimated delivery
    Ships to Anywhere in the world
    0 backers
    $
    Kickstarter is not a store.

    It's a way to bring creative projects to life.

    Learn more about accountability.
  3. Select this reward

    Pledge $100 or more About $100

    An e-book copy of NES Replay Vol. 1 AND a special thanks in the book itself, along with a handwritten letter of thanks that you can do whatever with. Frame it, laminate it, do whatever you want with it.

    Less
    Estimated delivery
    Ships to Anywhere in the world
    0 backers
    $
    Kickstarter is not a store.

    It's a way to bring creative projects to life.

    Learn more about accountability.

Funding period

- (30 days)