See.Sense ICON: Intelligent and Connected
ICON brings breakthrough software to an intelligent bike light for the first time. It's light years ahead of any other bike light.
See.Sense’s first intelligent bike light was a great Kickstarter success. Thousands are now in use around the world. By listening carefully to feedback we have applied five years of development and research to build ICON, the best intelligent light on the market.
It knows how to power-manage
Do you want a light with high brightness, long runtime or light and compact? Wouldn’t you rather have them all! See.Sense ICON is bright when you need it to be, has a long run-time and is light and compact.
It keeps you more visible
With See.Sense ICON's advanced, patent pending sensor technology, it is the ONLY bike light in the world that can react by flashing brighter and faster at roundabouts, as well as to road-junctions and even to approaching car headlights at night.
ICON's intelligent features don't require a smartphone connection, but when you pair it with your smartphone you'll unlock these additional features:
1. A REVOLUTIONARY INTERFACE FOR YOUR LIGHT
Just pair your ICON light with your smartphone, and take control of your light with our free app that is compatible with iOS and Android:
- Check your battery level
- Change from flashing light to constant
- Customise your lights to optimise your brightness/run-time using a simple slider
- Control multiple lights at once. Turn off your front light, and instantly turn off all others in your system
- Auto-on/off. Automatically turns off your light after 3 minutes of inactivity, or if you walk more than 3 metres from your light.
2. THEFT ALERTS
When you are at your favourite coffee-stop, and your trusted bike is leaning up against a wall outside. ICON will send you an alert if anything or anyone disturbs your bike.
3. CRASH ALERTS
If you have a crash, ICON knows when you have been in an accident and will send an text to your nominated contact for help.
4. GET FIRMWARE AND APPLICATION UPDATES TO ACCESS NEW FEATURES AS THEY BECOME AVAILABLE
Always have the latest firmware and newest features by downloading them over the cloud.
5. HELP CREATE SMART CITIES
ICON continually monitors your environment so it knows how to react to keep you more visible on the roads. It can monitor road surfaces, crashes, near-miss events, light levels, temperature levels and routes taken. With your permission, your anonymised data can be uploaded to the cloud and aggregated data can then be shared with councils to provide smart cities solutions that benefit all cyclists.
This information can have an impact in a number of ways most importantly by reducing future incidents by for example alerting cyclists of dangerous routes and informing Councils and municipalities on their priority areas for cycling infrastructure provision. The road surface information gathered by the device may also be used for early pothole identification so that Councils can perform repairs at a lower cost before further deterioration leads to a safety hazard. This will also benefit other road users and contribute to smarter cities for all citizens.
Our vision is that See.Sense ICON will provide a cost-effective way for councils and municipalities to access high quality, crowd-sourced data for use in smart cities initiatives and infrastructure design to benefit everyone.
However, if you are not comfortable sharing your data, that's fine. You can opt out of data contribution at any time and just use ICON as a super-bright cycle light.
Affordable and Practical: Other options to connect your bike are expensive, complicated to fit, or clutter up your handlebars. ICON cleverly connects you with a device that you'll want to use on your bike - a super bright, daylight visible bike light. ICON lets you keep your phone in your pocket or bag (where it belongs) and your eyes on the road.
All in 1 device: See.sense ICON is an industry-leading cycle light, with anti-theft, crash alert and many more features - all in one device.
Ease of Use: We designed ICON for everyone. From the beginner to a competitive cyclist. You’ll be connected and lighting your way in a matter of seconds. No complicated setup is needed to programme your lights. Use either the button on the front of the light or the app.
Even without intelligence and connectivity, we've designed ICON to be a market leading bike light with:
- Daylight visible light brightness, using super-bright twin CREE LED’s
- Advanced optics to give you excellent focused as well as side illumination utilising a Fresnel lens for exceptional side visibility
- USB rechargeable with a superb run-time of more than 15 hours
- A lightweight, compact package with a stylish design that is easy to mount
- Easy to use, it has a button for simple manual controls. With one touch you can control all your lights at once.
- Water sealed to an IP67 rating
We're fanatical about quality. We’re using a world-class electronics manufacturer based in the UK. Each unit is thoroughly tested before being packaged and shipped out.
Most bike products are designed to fit a price. We are different. We selected on the best materials to produce an incredibly durable, tough and functional light. Our materials list includes:
- Lens - Lexan R - an incredibly tough, clear grade of polycarbonate. Its what NASA use to make space helmet visors.
- Body - Luran S - a really tough plastic used by many German car companies for their front grilles. It can really take a pounding.
- Straps and Seals - cross-linked silicone. It looks like rubber, but it isn't. It's a space age material that's super tough and doesn't dry out or deteriorate over time.
- Screws - A4 marine grade stainless, make in Sheffield, UK. Nothing but the best.
Twin CREE LEDs:
1. Focused LED:
- Front - See where you are going
- Rear - Alert cars approaching from a distance
2. Defocused / Wide angle LED: Maximum visibility from all angles
ICON comes in two levels of brightness. ICON+ is our premium model, giving you 50 more lumens on the front light and 30 more lumens on the rear.
See.Sense ICON is lightweight, with a long runtime of more than 15 hours. It uses Bluetooth Smart, a low power solution with minimal drain on your smartphone. USB re-chargeable, most frequent cyclists will only need to charge it once a week.
Comparison against other lights featuring sensor or connected technology:
Reviews for See.Sense ICON
See.Sense is a cycling technology company based in Northern Ireland. With a successful Kickstarter campaign two years ago, we’ve already demonstrated that we can be trusted to deliver an innovative, quality product - one that went on to be stocked with major retailers and bike shops around the world.
We are cyclists. And the mission of our company is to create cycling technology that will enhance the performance and enjoyment of cyclists around the world.
We’ve worked with hundreds of cyclists around the world to look at ways we can enhance their cycling experience, and used our strong in-house technology capability to devise solutions, create the software, undergo strenuous testing while working alongside leading designers to make this a reality.
As Alan Kay, pioneer of the computer industry once said,
'People who are really serious about software should design their own hardware'.
We've done just that. This is what defines us and sets us apart from the competition.
- The ICON connected light (Rear or SET of front and rear)
- 2 x mounting straps per light
- 1 x USB charge cable per light (not shown)
- Front mount adapter (only if you have bought a set)
- Rear mount adapter
To show our commitment, we've personally invested much of the revenue generated from the sale of our first product, the See.Sense intelligent bike light, and we have now commenced production of ICON.
We've created the hardware i.e. the physical light with all the electronics inside. Plus we have created the application and two exciting features - theft and crash alerts.
ICON is ready to ship as early as November 2015.
ICON is amazing feat of technology and design. But given it is a software solution, there are many possibilities for what See.Sense can achieve. We need both the funding and the support from the kickstarter community, to help us achieve these things:
1. The Beta Test Group - to test the software and the user interface
We have worked closely with a closed consultation group of cyclists to get their feedback throughout development, but the Beta Test Group have an important role to play. The Beta Test Group are the first to receive ICON (as early as November 2015), and will be asked to give feedback on the theft and crash detection alerts features as well as the functionality/user experience of the app to make sure everything is working smoothly before we go into full production for the remaining backers. We have limited the size of the test group to be a total of 500 backers.
2. Accelerate development of planned new features for ICON:
The following features are on the development roadmap for ICON, with your help we can do it much faster:
• Smart switching feature - ICON to be able to switch between constant and flashing based on environmental needs. The light will detect when you went into a darker area with less urban street lighting and automatically change from a flashing 'to be seen' light, to become a focused beam to light your path, and 'to see' your way.
• Theft block feature - If your ICON is stolen, flag it in the app and it will be disabled as soon as it is in range of any other ICON light.
• ICON Group ride feature - Detect if you are cycling in a group of other riders with See.Sense ICON lights, and automatically dim your lights if you are riding in front of other riders in the peloton.
3. Help create smart cities for everyone
The Beta Test Group will be given the OPTION to participate in an important piece of research we are doing for a paper titled 'See.Sense platform for improved cyclist safety and smart cities'. The paper was submitted to the world's leading cycling conference called Velo-City Global, held in February 2016 in Taiwan.
The research will be undertaken with help from two leading academics accessed through a Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) with Queen's University Belfast, made possible by funding from InnovateUK. The KTP allows us to access the data analytics skills needed to undertake this valuable research. What we need now is cyclists in the Beta Group who can volunteer their data!
4. Build a Community of Cyclists
After the Beta Test Group, we want to continue to build a community of cyclists that are helping to create smart cities through contribution of anonymous, aggregated data that can be used by Councils and Municipalities.
ICON is designed from the ground up to be a no-compromise product. But as we make more of them, we increase our buying power and that lets us offer incremental improvements to you.
At £50k, we can afford to give you the option of an aero seat post mount. This type of mount is specifically designed to fit the teardrop shaped seat posts typically used on time trial bikes. We'll pay for the design and tooling. If you'd like to receive this optional extra, we would simply ask you to pledge an additional £1 to cover the part cost.
At £75k, we will be able to buy batteries with larger capacity, improving the runtime for everyone.
We have competed tooling and have commenced production of the See.Sense ICON light.
See.Sense wouldn't be here today if it weren't for backers like you who Kickstarted our first product, the See.Sense Intelligent Bike Light and our company in October 2013. You helped us bring See.Sense to market and we successfully delivered. Since then our team has rapidly grown. We're made up of designers, software and electronics engineers, operations experts, marketing and data scientists. We are all cyclists, with a mission to delight the world with products that bring technology to the cutting edge of cycling design.
We provide FREE shipping to the US and the UK.
There is a £4 charge for shipping to Europe and £8 to rest of the world.
For US & worldwide orders, we ship direct from our fulfilment facility in the US.
For UK& European orders, we ship from our fulfilment facility in the UK.
Please note, you are responsible for any custom/import charges for your country.
Risks and challenges
Given tooling is already completed and production is currently underway we do not expect any delays. Expected delivery is in November 2015 for the Beta Test Group.
Since our first successful Kickstarter campaign (See.Sense: http://kck.st/1LgUAFt), we’ve become experts in manufacturing, operations and logistics. Indeed we recall our first campaign where we packed over 500 packages by hand and used our local post office to post them out! We've learnt a LOT and now we have warehouses and fulfilment partners established for streamlined delivery straight to you :)
Our experience means we’ve established solid relationships with the suppliers we’re using for the See.Sense intelligent bike light. We’re all one team with a goal of producing the best quality product.
We will provide regular updates to all our backers and be transparent in all our dealings, just like we did with our first campaign.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)