About this project
We are recording our first album, and we need your help!
Earlier this year, we recorded our first single, "Home to Me", which you can hear on our Soundcloud page. In November, we will return to the studio to record nine more original songs. We are asking for $3000 to cover recording, mixing, mastering, and printing costs.
We are a five-piece indie-folk band from the Durham area. We started playing together as a band when Rachael Hurwitz (vocals, guitar, keyboard) moved to North Carolina in 2014. She recruited Pippa Hoover (cello, vocals) and Carl Bernock (guitar, banjo) to fill out her original songs about life, love, and travel. Joe Ristaino (drums, mandolin) and Kati Moore (violin, vocals) joined the band in 2015, completing Honey Magpie's lineup. Pippa and Kati soon also brought original material to the band, expanding Honey Magpie's repertoire to include a wide variety of nature-inspired songs as well as some traditional and popular covers.
We have played many venues and festivals around the Triangle over the last year or so, and you may have seen us at the Haw River Festival, the Eno River Festival, the Cat's Cradle Back Room, the Station, or the Local 506. This past September we also completed our first tour, with shows in Kannapolis, Asheville, and Marshall, NC.
About this album
In between rehearsing, playing gigs, and writing new tunes, we have been polishing up ten original Honey Magpie songs that we want you to be able to hear, not just at our shows, but anywhere you listen to music - your home, your car, on your morning run. So next month, we will be laying down tracks at Roost Frequency Recording, where we recorded Home to Me, featured in the video at the top of the page. We had an excellent experience recording this song, and we are excited to get back in the studio to record the rest of our debut album.
Supporters of our campaign have the opportunity to receive a variety of rewards - tokens of our gratitude for helping make this vision of ours a reality.
- For donating $10, you will receive a code to download a digital copy of our full album.
- For $25, you will receive a CD shipped to you along with a set of Honey Magpie stickers designed by our multi-talented drummer, as well as stickers designed by our friend Skyler Sun.
- For $50, you will receive a CD and a t-shirt signed by the band. The shirts come in two colors and have been a big hit at our shows!
Here's Joe modeling one for you:
- As mentioned in our video, for $100 you get the Ultimate Honey Magpie Gift Basket! This includes a CD, a t-shirt, local NC honey, a small bag of birdseed, and a set of Honey Magpie stickers, all beautifully packaged in an adorable basket! (awesome gift idea) If you can't tell, we are pretty excited about making these.
- For the full list of rewards, check out the boxes on the right side of the page.
How to donate
To donate, simply click "Back this Project" at the top of the page. Then, select the amount you would like to pledge. You will then be asked to create an account with Kickstarter - simply provide a name, email address, and password. (This way we can contact you to send you your prize!) You will then be asked to input your credit card information. (Your card will not be charged until the project is fully funded.) Click "Pledge" and you're all set! Thank you for your support!!
Risks and challenges
This is our first album, so we recognize that unexpected delays and challenges may occur. However, we are committed to realizing our vision without compromise.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)