Dragon Draft is a trick-taking card game where you get to draft your hand. Team up with a partner to earn the most gems to reign victorious as the Dragon Draft Champion!
- Drafting - Instead of playing with the cards you are dealt, you get to choose the cards in your hand.
- Partner Play - Rewards teamwork and player interaction
- Play Again and Again - Many strategies to victory, every game is different.
- Game is Ready to Print - It is play-tested and the art/graphic design is completed.
- Learn how to play! Download the rules at BoardGameGeek, watch the How to Play Video, or connect over on the Dragon Draft page on BoardGameGeek.
- 50 Playing Cards
- 4 Additional Cards
- 40 Gem (Score) Tokens
It has always been a dream of mine to create a game. The idea of Dragon Draft came about while I was on a family vacation. I love Euchre, Spades, and Rook. I love the partner interactions and I love that you can play with family and friends. One thing that I don't like is when you get dealt a hand that is not good. Sometimes a player gets dealt a great hand, sometimes a bad hand, its just part of the game. What if instead of playing with whatever you are dealt, you instead were able to choose the cards you would play with. This led to further thinking about strategies you could develop through selecting the cards in your hand. The first iteration of Dragon Draft was born. Fast forward and we have the finished product you're looking at today.
I'm really happy with this game. One of my favorite things in the game design process has been watching new friends play, enjoy, and want to play again Dragon Draft. I am looking forward to you getting your hands on this game. Thank you for your time, truly.
A word from Sam Potter, the illustrator and graphic designer:
I really enjoyed the process of making the art for Dragon Draft. The characters for each card really pop and represent the action each card presents. All in all I think the friendly and fun art style I was able to incorporate will attract audiences of all ages! I hope you all enjoy Dragon Draft!!
Sam Potter has done wonderful work to create all original art for Dragon Draft.
Great news, the game is done! Stretch goals will only be to improve the quality of the components and additional items to improve the game experience.
- $4,000 - Funded! Thank you!
- $6,000 - Suit Tracker Player Aid - on the back of Dragon Champion card, used to remind all players what suit is trump for the round.
- $8,000 - Higher quality card stock
- $10,000 - Higher quality gamebox material
- $12,500 - More surprises to be announced
"Great game that combines the strategy of drafting with the familiarity of a good trick taking card game." -Courtney K.
"I could play this game all day!" -Teenager at International TableTop Day
"I will totally buy this when it comes out." -Player at Game Day
Thank you! Thank you for your time, for your consideration, for your support! Thank you for helping make a dream come true.
Some special thank yous:
- Sam Potter - for his wonderful work; his illustrations and graphic design
- Dan Sommers - for his music on the video. Check out his incredible music here.
- Tommy Sprinkle - for filming and putting together the video .
- Ruth Ashton - for her fantastic rulebook editing.
- Playtesters - for your time and thoughtful input to make this the best game possible.
- David Gregg, Doug Bass, and Daniel Alburger - for their encouragement and wisdom as game designers.
- House of Cards - for FLGS support. In loving memory of Britt Bergsten Blair.
- Family and Friends - for all your encouragement and support.
- Lauren, Harper, and Rosa - for their unconditional love and support. So thankful for you!
Risks and challenges
This is my first Kickstarter project. I've done my research and am looking forward to running the best Kickstarter campaign I possibly can. I'm working with manufacturers for the first time, as well as working with shipping large quantities for the first time. It is one thing to read about these practices and an entirely different thing to put them into action. As I navigate these new waters, my hope is to sail as smooth as possible and press on through any storms that may arise to give each backer the best game possible! The good news is the game is finished. It has been playtested, the artwork is done, and the graphic design is completed. Once this project is funded, it is ready to be made.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (35 days)