Drifters! It's been a bit of time since our last connection, so I come bearing .gifs and information!
Good news, everybody! I've successfully furthered my slow robotic transformation by approximately 10% through a hefty valve replacement procedure. I took a break from updating last month due to this, as some rest and recovery was needed.
One sentence review of the whole thing: new hybrid valves are great, heavy internal procedures that decimate your body and leave you with a stabbing heart-feeling, triggering fevers + extended sleepless hospital stays, not so great. 3 stars, slow shipping, would not recommend.
First, a few .gifs for fun:
We're deep into our last stretch of development. This includes:
- Getting and implementing feedback from close friends/developers digging into private playtests - this is where we find what issues may be plaguing us mechanically, story-wise, and some general bugs.
- Finalizing systems - includes our Skills/upgrades, general economy balance, ironing out lingering bugs with saving/loading/warping etc.
- Finalizing levels - this takes the most time, as flow and pacing is critical to the experience and requires a fair amount of play testing with others to get perfect. This also includes all the lighting, set dressing and ambiance.
- Polishing the rougher/looser visual elements - e.g. there were a lot of rough frames of the Drifter with no eyes/arms etc for over a year. Some bosses had intentionaly been left sketchy in order for us to finalize the mechanics of the battles before digging our heals into the animation
- Cut scenes! All the lovely little animation flourishes and sounds will find their way into these next month.
- Music - Disasterpeace has been laying down supremely hot tracks throughout the process. Some are still in a rough state or missing. These final months will see all the gaps being filled and any placeholder music getting fleshed out.
- Planning our hardcore QA and optimization phase - this will occur fairly soon with an experienced team we've lined up.
- Focusing on Mac and Linux ports - We want to launch PC/Mac/Linux all at once, so this process has already begun with the help of an experienced and trusted developer.
- Platform implementation + marketing - this includes putting the game and all the assets and achievements up on Steam and other services (a bit more complex then just putting an exe up on a sever and pressing a button), sending out builds to Streamers and press for reviews shortly before release, and getting the word out through however many channels we can.
- Remaining Kickstarter rewards - this includes getting the rest of the surveys out and generating the required keys, goods and so on.
At any rate, Drifters, we'll return next month with more inside details to share. Perhaps a few new gifs as well?