GREATSCOTT! Tesla's latest experiment has brought the dead to life! The question now is: Do you have the braaaaiinnnss to win?
A hearty 'good day' to you sir! If it is not too presumptuous, I would dare to take a few minutes of your time to sell you chaps on this little game called Tesla Breaks The World! (lovingly paraphrased as 'TBTW!'). A rather handsome 2D platformer developed by Archetype Global for the PC, Mac & Linux. TBTW is a combination of platforming, puzzle solving, amazing inventions, randomly-generating levels and of course, zombies...
Set in the late 1800's, Nikola Tesla's latest invention: The Micro-Portable Magnifying Transmitter Device, has puzzlingly managed to reanimate the dead. This anomaly has all the markings of the nefarious genius, Thomas Edison!
Now, our old boy Tesla must set out across country, city, and laboratory to confront his arch-nemesis and fix the broken world! All the while solving puzzles, jumping over bottomless voids and surviving hordes of 1800's-era zombies. Sounds like a bit of a scrape I dare say…
- Pleasuring your eye balls. The art of TBTW! is a unique, hand-drawn style that draws inspiration from classic cartoons, abstract & modern art and the legendary works of Eyvind Earle.
- Simple mechanics. We're creating a game that has a simple, yet intuitive gameplay and puzzle design with a clean and minimalistic UI.
- Inventions & Progression. Find new ways to beat puzzles as you progress. Unlock cool gadgets, Magnifying transmitters, electric-powered hover platform thingies, x-rays, tesla coils, remote controls and even... "Peace Rays"...
- Efficiency. The less efficiently you are able to solve puzzles, the more likely zombies will spawn around you. Use your inventions wisely or expect things to get even more complicated...
- RANDOM! RNG or 'random number generation'. Get some replayability from this platformer with levels randomly generating sectors, puzzles and environments as you play (or replay)...
- Homage. Giving the nod to science and art with tribute to the legendary minds of Nikola Tesla, Thomas Edison, Eyvind Earle and more...
- Will I have an emotional experience? I doubt it. Let's be honest here, we haven't set out to break down the psychological barriers between games and human emotion. Sorry Molyneux.
- Do you anticipate a 5 year development cycle? No. We're not looking to re-invent the wheel or to create the world's longest and most complex puzzle platformer. We just want to make this fun little game. ETA? Q3 2013.
- You are basing your in-game mechanics on real life science, correct? Uhhh. To clarify: We do not know what the biological basis of consciousness is. No, we have not determined if the Riemann hypothesis is an accurate conjecture. No, P ≠ NP (we don't think)... You get the idea...
- Is this game based on actual events in history? Yes. We would definitely classify this game as a historically accurate depiction of American life in the 1800's.
"You can't possibly make a game for $5,500!"
Well, aren't you just a 'Negative Nancy'! We actually can. You'd be surprised how far $5k will take a small team. We've already dumped a lot of our personal money and time into the game developing out the core features and mechanics. We want to make TBTW! the best possible game we can and with your help, we can have this game ready in a matter of months!
- The $500 is budgeted towards fees with the remaining balance covering a variety of expenses from taxes, rewards, licensing, legal, art, development and general polish.
- We're not budgeting for salaries, living expenses, hardware, backpay etc. just funding core components in our development pipeline.
- We're not making the most advanced platformer in human history, we just want to make a fun and quirky game with a few small rogue-twists!
- Should we surpass our goals, we have a LOT of VERY COOL things planned out for stretch goals that are not part of our current budget. What kind of things you ask? Well, things like a Verses Co-Op, Level Editors, new Release Platforms and more!
...But let's not get too far ahead of ourselves.
Like this project but don't have the funds to back? We can still use your help! You can upvote us on Steam Greenlight. We need all the help we can get! Of course, if you CAN afford to back us AND want to vote for us on Greenlight, well that's even better!
5% of Game-Profits go back to the Crowd-Funding Community! Learn more at:
Risks and challenges Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
The core functionality and mechanics behind TBTW! has already been developed out in our alpha prototype. At the minimum funding level, we've scoped out a very generous development cycle of approximately 6 months to Beta with 1-2 additional month to polish for Gold which gives us a target release date of Q3 2013. Should our minimum funding goals be surpassed, additional development time may need to be allocated for: stretch goal development, additional polish, additional QA etc.
We developed the core mechanics and features out for the Alpha during a 5 month part-time time window. With funding, we will be able to accelerate development even faster. We will of course, encounter setbacks and delays (an inevitability in game development) but we feel we've allocated time for that and have set realistic time frames based on our goals for TBTW!
The development process will be documented via our website and Kickstarter so any potential delays or risks will be transparently announced to our backers as we progress with development.
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
seconds to go
Pledge $7 or moreYou selected
100 backers All gone!
● EARLY BACKER! Receive a digital DRM free version of TBTW on launch day at this EXTRA special price! Compatible with Windows, OSX or Linux. You've just done science proud my boy!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $10 or moreYou selected
● Receive a digital DRM free version of TBTW on launch day at this special price! Compatible with Windows, OSX or Linux.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $20 or moreYou selected
● Same rewards as above PLUS: ● Kickstarter Exclusive Wallpaper ● Access to the closed Beta before the game is completed. ● Tesla Breaks The World thank-you postcard mailed to you! ● Get added to our Special Thanks page on our website as a contributor to the advancement of science!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $50 or moreYou selected
● Same rewards as above PLUS: ● Get a 2nd copy of the game to share with a friend! ● 11"x8.5" Collectors Edition "Tesla's World Landscape" Mini-Poster. Printed on a high-quality stock. ● Digital soundtrack of the game. ● Get added as a "Special Thanks" within the game credits! Very nice...Estimated delivery:Add $10 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $125 or moreYou selected
12 backers Limited (81 left of 93)
● Same rewards as above PLUS: ● A Limited Edition FULL-COLOR TBTW T-Shirt! No more than 100 of this ultra-premium shirt will be produced! ● Be one of the first to get your hands on the game with the Advanced Alpha! (Press Copy) ● Be listed in the game credits as: "Quality Assurance Tester". ● A personal email from the Producer thanking you. Will include at least 1 compliment which may or may not invoke a warm and/or cuddly feeling.Estimated delivery:Add $20 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $250 or moreYou selected
1 backer Limited (1 left of 2)
STAND-ALONE SPECIAL! This reward is unique from the other reward structure. You will get all of these rewards even if the Kickstarter fails. This early-backer special nets you: ● Tesla Breaks the World! ● Access to the Closed Beta ● Design A Zombie (We work with you to nail down the visual style, combat and features of the Zombie!) ● Special Thanks In the Game Credits! WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?Estimated delivery:
Pledge $500 or moreYou selected
1 backer Limited (4 left of 5)
● Reward Tiers 1-5 PLUS: ● Design your own Zombie or even become the face of a zombie in the game! Keep it clean kiddos... ● Be listed in the game credits as a "Zombie Designer Extraordinaire". Please note: your potential in-game likeness will be heartlessly killed by Tesla at some point...Estimated delivery:Add $20 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $1,000 or moreYou selected
0 backers Limited (2 left of 2)
● Reward Tiers 1-5, 7 AND: ● Become a cartoon in the game! Find your portrait hanging in the halls of Edison or Tesla. You decide! ● Get 50 copies of your cartoon character printed on a high quality 8.5x11 glossy cover stock and shipped to you. Share, burn or frame them as you please! ● Be listed as a "Kickstarter Producer" on the game! ● A museum quality 18"x24" canvas-wrapped "Tesla Landscape" print. Sequentially numbered 1 of 2. Wrapped on wood frame with a satin finish applied. ● Listed as a "Kickstarter Producer" in the game-credits!Estimated delivery:Add $25 USD to ship outside the US
- (32 days)