Campaign for the Next Century chapter 2: 100 Years and Counting!
2015 marked 100 years of continuous operations at The Colonial Theatre. To commemorate this occasion, The Friends of The Colonial initiated The Campaign for The Next Century. The aims of The Campaign were to expand the facility to address a number of facility shortcomings that limited the Theatre’s growth and service to our community. These improvements were designed to broaden our programming, improve the audience experience, and create a more sustainable organization. Since that time, with the support of a broad coalition of individuals, businesses and private foundations interested in improving accesses to high quality entertainment for our residents and understanding the importance of the arts to economic development, The Colonial has raised $650,000 of an estimated $800,000 budget. To date we have made sweeping improvements to nearly every aspect of the facility including:
- Enhancements and structural upgrades to the auditorium including new carpet, repainted floors, walls and ceiling, seat renovations, state-of-the-art, artist designed acoustic panels for an improved movie and live performance experience, improved ventilation, and structural supports to the auditorium floor.
- Stage and performance improvements including a new live PA system, lighting backdrops, refinished and leveled stage floor, on-stage piano storage, and artist entry and exit points.
- Over 1500 square feet of new construction including the construction of a dressing room, a green room, and two bathrooms for artist’s use, as well as a loading dock and a secure storage area. The Colonial is now fully HC accessible for artists and audience.
- A facility wide fire safety sprinkler system and alarm system.
- A new popcorn machine (No more burnt popcorn smell!).
The Campaign thus far has already accrued benefits to the North Country community beyond the immediate enhancements to the Theatre and attracting greater audiences to the area, in the form of over $600,000 paid to local contractors for the work to date — AND WE ARE NOT DONE YET.
With your help we will raise the additional $150,000 necessary complete the final phase next winter with the installation of new bathrooms for audience use, a year-round on-site theatre office, safety improvements and an upgraded POS system (point of sale system for tickets and concessions). The net result of The Colonial’s Campaign for the Next Century will provide northern New Hampshire with a multi-functional, versatile, safe and sustainable cultural center for the foreseeable future.
We hope to raise $50,000 from grants, $50,000 from businesses & private donations, and, $50,000 from the community through this Kickstarter campaign.
The Friends of the Colonial operates under the auspices of the Bethlehem Redevelopment Association a registered 501 c 3 non-profit corporation (IRS # 02-0366874). As such, your donation is tax deductible in accordance with IRS tax codes.
Visit our website to learn more about The Colonial Theatre.
Risks and challenges
noneLearn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (60 days)