Library IdeaLab (Canceled)
Library IdeaLab (Canceled)
A place in the Calgary Public Library for people to explore technology and engage in hands-on learning.
A place in the Calgary Public Library for people to explore technology and engage in hands-on learning. Read more
About this project
WHAT'S HAPPENING NOW?
Project Pivot Video:
See our "Updates" section for details about the project's current direction.
About the Library IdeaLab's Kickstarter:
We can't keep up with the growing use of technology in Libraries, but we want to! At the Calgary Public Library Foundation, we recognize that computers, software, internet access, and less accessible “toys” are a huge part of literacy today—and while we love books, we're passionate about giving everyone access to the learning tools they need. Our library computers and tech-related resources are in use from open to close, with people often waiting for the opportunity to use them.
That's why we need the IdeaLab. We envision the IdeaLab as a space dedicated to increasing our city's digital and creative skills. It will give people of all ages access to cutting-edge technology while nurturing problem-solving skills. Your support is an investment in your city and the future of libraries.
In addition to our monetary goal, we are aiming to reach 60,000 backers to demonstrate community support for the IdeaLab. Your support—even a single dollar—puts us even closer to building the best public library in the world.
*Can't see the image well enough? Check us out on Instagram and Twitter @LibraryFdnYYC or on Facebook at Calgary Public Library Foundation for larger images that are being posted daily
LEGO® is a trademark of the LEGO Group of companies which does not sponsor, authorize or endorse this site
Any of the prizes with options (mugs, totes, etc) will be chosen by you after we reach our goal.
The Master Plan
Because it's such a big project, we've planned the IdeaLab in Phases. This Kickstarter is to raise the money we need to build Phase One. Below is what we plan to do with the money at each level.
Phase One: $100,000 (THIS KICKSTARTER)
Our core funding comes from our city; giving us the space, computers, and basic furniture to host the IdeaLab. The following will give us the ability to grow our IdeaLab into a space worthy of its name.
1. The LEGO® Library model: a small portion of this money will go towards funding the replica of Calgary's New Central Library that was built out of LEGO Bricks.
2. A "How to Guide" for other libraries to adapt and implement our structure moving libraries into the 21st century.
3. LEGO outreach kits that consist mainly of LEGO Education packages for individuals and groups to rent out and learn invaluable creative, linguistic, and problem-solving skills.
4. Creative and data mining applications, enabling our patrons to look at demographic data–researching statistics from all over the world—and allow them to develop skills on programs like Photoshop and InDesign.
Build a Brick Room with 1 million LEGO bricks for the public to build out their ideas, communicate, and most importantly–PLAY!
This money has the potential to future-proof the IdeaLab—ensuring that the Library can afford to stay on top of advancements in technology and maintain the space. It will include but is not limited to: 3D printers, circuit pens, 3D drawing pens, robust programs and supplies, tablets, drawing tablets, and computers with immense creative capacity. At this level, we will have the opportunity to keep the Library at the forefront of technology, consistently updating our resources to facilitate learning for generations to come.
Risks and challenges
1. As with many (but not all) Kickstarters, our project won't exist without your support. The City of Calgary provides our core infrastructure, but without public support, our project won't come to life. A strange but interesting part of this campaign is that if it succeeds, we can use it to show other libraries how important tech spaces are. If it doesn't succeed, it will make it a lot more difficult for us to advocate for the necessity of free tech resources in library spaces.
2. The IdeaLab won't be built until 2018, and some of the rewards won't be fulfilled until then. We're aware that by starting this early we might lose momentum with the public, but in order to get through our three phases of fundraising, we need to start now. We plan to maintain momentum with updates for our backers along the way, giving them access to information and images that will keep them in the loop with our project progress.
3. Reward fulfillment. This is a tricky part of any Kickstarter—we know that delays may come. Luckily, we're prepared to meet that with hard work, persistence, and a lot of spreadsheets. We intend to have our tangible rewards to our (Canadian) backers by Christmas 2015. It's a tight timeline, but we'll do everything in our power to make it happen. And if it simply can't be done, we'll provide you with a printable card to give to whoever you may have bought the item for.
While these are the foreseeable challenges for us at the moment, we have a team of fantastic people at the Calgary Public Library Foundation that will be behind us every step of the way. We will continue to update our challenges as they arise in our attempt to run this campaign with utmost transparency.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (39 days)