Tail Lights are a revolutionary LED lighting system for horses that uses color, and style, to keep horses and rider visible during any type of weather or lighting levels.
Placed on a specialized velcro tail wrap, the lights drape through the horses tail for maximum eyeline visibility, beauty, and aesthetics. We have included as an option to purchase our custom designed storage/saddle bag for those who do not have one already. Dress your horse and do it in style, all the while being safely visible while riding.
When Riding is Risky...
Every day riders have to navigate along busy roads to make it to a trail. More often than not, and depending on the time of year, riders find themselves returning at dusk and back to the barn in the dark. Despite ineffective reflectors, and without adequate lighting, horses are often not seen by motorists until it is too late. Tail Lights will change the way we see horses, and their riders, at any time of the day...or night.
Other uses for Tail Lights
- Endurance Riders - With a battery life of over 15 hours, and as long as 26 hours, (depending on the setting) you will feel confident that Tail Lights will have you covered no matter where you are in the race.
- Rodeo and Performance Groups - Get your bling on! Be remembered and be flashy as you streak by with your custom colors and lighting patterns.
- Carriage Drivers - Be beautiful as well as safe. Attach them to the back of your carriage for a brilliant, unavoidable, effect.
- Mounted Police - With police only patterns utilizing blue and red, Tail Lights will make you stand out in a crowd. We have designed our product to let you signal when you are standing by (slow shifting from blue to red) or engaged (Blue/Red strobing pattern with the same timing of a police vehicle). This is for POLICE only, and all requests for this color scheme MUST come with a departmental letter head and authorization from the Police Department to be shipped.
- Mini's to Drafts - If it has a tail, Tail Lights will work. We have even designed shorter sets for our smaller friends, so they will be just as bright!
We Have Come Along Way...
For the last 4 years, we have made many prototypes and different components were tested with various levels of success and failure. Most of the materials out there are either not bright enough, or the battery life simply could not keep up with our demands.
We now have the best design using the right materials.
Born by Accident
4 years ago, after a long day of trail riding, Sami and her friend were riding both of Sami's horses back to the barn. Despite living in an equestrian community, wearing reflectors and other safety gear, Sami's horse that her friend was riding, was hit by a car.
From that moment on, Sami has worked to create the worlds first equestrian illumination system.
Sami has taken all of her experience from 38 years of working both personally and professionally in the equestrian community and created a beautiful, colorful, and durable answer to reflectors alone. Her years as a Mounted Search and Rescuer in rural Montana, has helped her incorporate not only beauty and fun into the unit, but safety as well. With 3 different levels of lighting for comfort of the horses, as well as during emergency situations, Tail Lights has it all.
What are Tail Lights...
The system comprises of a battery pack/CPU that is small enough to fit into any saddle bag - we have designed custom saddle bags that are available for both English and Western riding. A thin cable connects the battery to the light assembly which comprises of 6 LED double sided strands that drape at various lengths down a horses tail. This assembly is held onto the tail by a specialized neoprene tail wrap designed to safely secure the light box in place while maximizing the natural motion of a horses tail.
Tail Lights will come in a various colors - Blue, Red, Green, White, Pink/Purple,Yellow, and will allow the user to choose from various lighting effects including strobe, fade, and flash. Custom lights will be available so you can get your RED WHITE and BLUE on at any time!
To accommodate any riding condition, Tail Lights will have 3 different lighting levels:
1. Group ride (low) - This setting allows for comfortable brightness if with a group or other horses but are still bright enough to be seen in most weather conditions.
2. Solo Rider (Medium) - This setting is seen easily for over 1/2 mile! (we would have gotten way over a mile in our tests, but a hill got in the way).
3. Emergency (Brightest) - This is the brightest output of light in a YELLOW strobing pattern signaling SOS and is specifically designed for early detection and localization by rescuers in almost any weather condition.
Are Tail Lights durable?
Both the battery and light case will be sonically sealed for waterproofing. The LED strands are encased in silicone rubber. For added protection the Battery case is to be placed in a cantle bag. We are also arranging for a 3rd party testing facility to beat up our Tail Lights unit more than we have (and we have!) to prove that our product is made to last.
Tail Lights are beautiful, rugged, customizable and fun way for any horse and rider to be seen in any weather conditions.
We hope that you love this product as much as we do. This product is made by horse people for horse people.
Tail Lights Have Even Been In The Media!
We have met with a number of large domestic and international manufacturers who are all very interested in helping to bring Tail Lights to everyone. Our goal is to make the choice of manufacturer before the end of our Kickstarter campaign so we can share the news with everyone who has supported and who are truly interested in the advancement of Tail Lights technology.
Our roadmap includes:
- Finalizing supply chain processes
- Prototype testing and refinements
- Compliance testing and certifications
- Package design
- Production tooling, tool trials, and refinements
- First production
- Kickstarter backer product distribution
We are expecting these processes to take roughly 6 months. We don't want to rush any of these stages, as we want the production model to match or exceed the results we’ve had with the Tail Lights prototype.
Who are we?
Sami Gros is the Founder and CEO of Tail Lights. With over 38 years of horse experience, both professionally and personally, she ensures the design and quality of Tail Lights will meet the need and the quality of horse enthusiasts. Her years of being on a Mounted Search and Rescue have helped her to incorporate emergency aspects to the unit to help aid anyone, or anything, in need.
We have been working on Tail Lights for the past 3 years and we've come a long way. But now we need your help. Your support will allow us to initiate tooling, manufacturing, and software development so we can make Tail Lights available to you and the millions of people who want to be safe while riding in any condition.
We live in a world where very small moments in time can affect us in an incredible way. With your pledges and kickstarter support, we can finally put Tail Lights where it matters. We want to help you be visible, and save your tail!
So why should you support us?
- Be the first to get one (There are no other commercial products like this).
- You’ve never had safety system like this before and we think it’s awesome to have a simple and beautiful way to light up your and your horse for everyone to see.
Risks and challenges
For the past 3 years we have worked very hard in the prototyping process to ensure we have a working product that is ready for manufacture. We are in final talks to select a larger volume manufacturing partner and tooling needs to be setup. We are attempting to account for many of the manufacturing challenges but there may be some unforeseen roadblocks in the final setting up of the production line. If any issues arise, we are resolved to doing everything possible to get as close to our delivery date as possible and will keep a transparent dialogue with supporters so they can see the progress at each step.
More questions related to Tail Lights are answered in the FAQ below or you may also reach us with specific questions regarding your Tail Lights pledge at Support@Tail-Lights.comLearn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (45 days)