with the first 220 helmets beginning to hit doorsteps I wanted to send out a huge "Thank you!" to everyone. It has been a trying journey to get these actually in a box and shipping. I had amazing help from my family, friends, business partners and of course you. While we will do our best to turn this little project into a brand that really looks to improve cycling for all types of riders everywhere, I would like you to realize and be proud that you had a big role in this.
We've begun to get feedback from those closest to us that they have received their Midnight Editions. A few had questions, one got a lemon and we're getting that exchanged, and several have realized they need a different size. We will do everything possible to make sure you all have the exact product you have waited so long for, so please contact me here or email us at email@example.com if you need us.
With all of the design improvements that have happened since the very beginning of our Kickstarter campaign there are a few things that may need explaining.
1. The rubber o-ring taped over the button is simply a precaution to keep the helmet from turning on during shipping. This was an important requirement for us to be able to ship these via air. Remove and do what you will with these two pieces. I suggest using them to keep your charger cable wrapped up neatly if you take it with you.
2. You will notice a red light in the center of the lens when the cable is properly charging. This is the indication that the battery is taking a charge. It will go off once each battery is fully charged. Also, we recommend placing the helmet with the interior facing up as pictured on the box while charging. The slight weight of the helmet can be enough to cause a bad connection and your helmet will not be charging when you thought it was. It's always good to look for the red lights before walking away.
3. Both lights have the same functions. 1. ON steady-high, 2. ON steady-low, 3. ON flash-slow, 4. ON flash-fast, 5. OFF. If you receive a helmet that is not working properly, try charging it first and if it still does not match these functions, contact us for an exchange.
4. The padding is removable for hand washing, but please make sure none of the velcro pieces come off with the padding. We are looking into getting a tougher adhesive for these, but if one does come off simply place it back on the EPS.
5. We achieved the best fit possible for the lenses, however for those of you warriors that do ride in very wet climate, you may see water behind the lens. Don't fret, the circuit board is coated in a water resistant material to prevent damage. If you do begin to experience issues due to water, please contact us.
6. On the topic of water, please do not ever plug in your helmet if it is wet. We looked at adding a rubber cover for the charging ports, but found that even that would sometimes pull moisture up into the port so we decided it best to leave it out.
Lastly, remember that this is a brand new product and you are the first people other than us to put it to the test. In reality, you are our beta testers so we would love to get your feedback on fit, weight, sizing, functions, and performance as you put some miles in your helmet. And please share any photos you wouldn't mind us sharing with the rest of the world. Or share it with us and let us know it was just for our team, we will respect your privacy.
Many thanks again, the remaining helmets will arrive in March and we will work as quickly as possible to get them out the door right away to those still waiting.
All the best,
Nathan Wills and the Torch team
Hi soon to be Torch bearers! It is finally with an exhausted sigh that I can say our first partial order of helmets will be shipping from our manufacturer this Saturday!
This first batch will only include the Midnight Editions, but it's a start. The factory will be closing for a couple of weeks to celebrate the Chinese New Year, and will complete the remainder of the first order and ship to us by the end of March.
I know those of you who are waiting on a T1 will be frustrated for the additional wait, and we hear you. We tried very hard to get everything through production before the break, but Torch was bumped from the production line several times in order for the factory to handle a larger, more expensive order. This is one of the unfortunate consequences of being a new and small company, but we know we aren't the only Kickstarter that has had to deal with this.
We are very excited to begin getting these in the hands of the people that made this all possible, and hope that you will send us your photos and feedback as you begin to receive your helmets. We will soon be launching a new website and will be creating a page that will honor all of you with a list of Kickstarter names and all of the photos you can send us. If anyone does not wish to appear on the list of supporters, please send me a message and we will respect your privacy.
I'll keep you all updated as the helmets arrive at US customs and hopefully clear without any issues and will provide some pics as we have our first shipping party, woo hoo!
Excited, tired, and relentlessly determined,
the final stages are upon us! We have secured a spot in line with the testing facility that will be performing all the required impact, roll-over, and strap retention tests as well as the chemical test for our CE mark. All in all it will require the destruction of at least 15 helmets and will take a couple of weeks. Let's all think some very positive thoughts.
If all goes well we will receive our certifications and will begin full production! We have decided to split our production shipment into two parts so that we can get the pre-orders out as quickly as possible. Our manufacturer has estimated that production for the first 1,000 helmets will take two weeks, although this is an estimate. Then we will air freight those 1,000 helmets to Los Angeles which will take about a week and immediately begin shipping them out. We have secured all the necessary paper work etc. for importing the helmets, but have been told that since this is our first time importing it is likely they will be stopped for inspection and this could take anywhere from a day to over a week.
As has been the case with this whole journey, we are doing our best to make things happen correctly and quickly, but as you can see so much of the process is out of our hands. I will be sure to keep everyone up to date through these next few important steps so we can all know when to expect shipping to commence.
While we anxiously wait for these steps to complete we've had time to use some of the extra samples for photography etc and have started designing our new website that will launch as soon as we begin production. It has been fun being stopped by people on the street who were anxious to know where we got these helmets. After working on this product for so long I forget that it is still a new product that most people have no idea exists and I take so much pleasure in seeing the excitement as I explain the details. It has meant the world to myself and my team to have such amazing backers help us get this started and we truly hope that you feel the same sence of excitement when you receive your T1 helmets.
Here's a few fun shots of the photo shoots.
seconds to go
Pledge $5 or moreYou selected
Every dollar counts! Follow the progress of Torch through Kickstarter to production by pledging today.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $10 or moreYou selected
Torch water bottle - 25oz. stainless steel water bottle (BPA Free) with Torch logo + Regular updates of Torch developments (International backers please add $5 for shipping)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $25 or moreYou selected
Torch t-shirt + American Apparel combed cotton t-shirt with Torch logo + A downloadable PDF book of Torch development from concept to production + Regular updates of Torch development (International backers please add $5 for shipping)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $80 or moreYou selected
T1 helmet + Torch's first helmet in red, black or white + A PDF book of Torch development from concept to production + Regular updates of Torch development (International backers please add $10 for shipping)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $100 or moreYou selected
200 backers All gone!
T1 Midnight Edition + T1 helmet in all black with smoked lenses + A PDF book of Torch development from concept to production + Regular updates of Torch development (International backers please add $10 for shipping)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $130 or moreYou selected
Full package + T1 helmet in red, black or white + Torch t-shirt and water bottle + A printed book of Torch development from concept to production with a special thank you + Regular updates of Torch development (International backers please add $15 for shipping)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $150 or moreYou selected
Gift set + 2 T1 helmets in red, black or white + A printed book of Torch development from concept to production with a special thank you + Regular update of Torch development (International backers please add $15 for shipping)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $500 or moreYou selected
15 backers Limited (85 left of 100)
Retailer + Be one of the first retail stores to carry the Torch line with this 10 pack of Torch helmets + Your store's name credited in the Torch book + A printed copy of the book + Regular update of Torch development (International backers please add $50 for shipping)Estimated delivery:
- (45 days)