Linky: The Foldable Electric Longboard
Linky: The Foldable Electric Longboard
A last mile mobility solution for travelers, commuters & those who want a better experience of cities. #FreedomInYourBag
A last mile mobility solution for travelers, commuters & those who want a better experience of cities. #FreedomInYourBag Read more
About this project
Linky is a Foldable Electric Longboard, giving you freedom in your bag. This patented system is sturdy, easy to use, and most of all it’s fun! Get where you want to go in style, on time… then fold up Linky into its designer bag. No more long walks or expensive taxis, stolen bikes, wondering how to get home after the subway has closed, or lugging around impractically-shaped scooters or boards.
What you carry in your bag defines you. Are you a minimalist? A techie? A beauty queen? A boy scout (always prepared!)? In your knapsack, purse or suitcase there are items that say a lot about you. What if you could put FREEDOM in your bag? The freedom to move around cities without the limitations of public or private transportation, without spending money, without polluting the environment.
Linky is the only portable electric vehicle that folds and fits in a bag. It’s practical and easy to use, and it says a lot about you. You don’t want to be dictated by bus schedules and routes – nor to have to figure them out when you go to a new city. You wish your daily commute could be fun. You want to get where you want to go, fresh, relaxed, on time, with no limits.
The idea behind Linky comes out of our actual experience as travelers. While Paolo was spending two months backpacking around Scotland, the idea and first prototype formed out of his intuition that the world needs a practical green mobility solution for travelers, that gets out of the way when you aren’t using it. Fabio joined the team after severe tendinitis struck him because he walked way too much in Istanbul, and Cristiano missed the last subway in Budapest and wished he had a better way to get home. The whole Linky team (see below) has been working on this product for the past few years because it’s something we really want for ourselves (call us selfish!). It’s the key to our ideal travel experience, where we don’t need much more than the clothes on our backs and the freedom to go where we want, when we want.
On the bus or subway, buying food at the market, or taking a plane for a long weekend in another city, Linky is exactly what we need to make life and travel better. We don’t just want to make an electric skateboard. We want to improve the way we experience cities, be it during the “daily travel” of our commute or on trips to explore new places.
Linky’s innovative technical features stem from our needs as travelers: light, fast charging, transportable by air, a vintage-modern design and practical but beautiful bags. Using our engineering and technical training, we applied AGILE product development methodology to numerous prototype iterations, testing each phase and implementing features over the past two years.
• FOLDING / The patented folding mechanism makes it fast and easy to extend and compress Linky. We’ve worked particularly hard on this system, ensuring its resistance and functionality.
• LIGHT / Weighing in at 4.9 kilos (10.8 pounds) it’s amongst the lightest of the electric longboard market. The structure is made of high strength polymers from the automotive industry instead of heavier metal parts, while the deck has a carbon fiber bottom and real bamboo top.
• PORTABLE AND FUN / To maximize the riding experience yet keep Linky light, we’ve carefully studied the board’s materials: rigid enough to give Linky sporty cornering abilities during high speed cruising but flexible enough for wide curves. We also chose our wheel size based on research that has shown large 83mm wheels to be ideal for comfortable longboard riding on difficult surfaces.
• AIR SAFE / Safety & Air transport: our power system has a BMS (Battery Management Solution) that regulates the battery pack charge and discharge, which ensures both good battery life and total safety. We have calibrated the battery to correspond to the current IATA regulation so that Linky can be transported on commercial airlines.
• FAST CHARGE / Its innovative electrics and long life lithium battery come from our experience as automotive industry engineers. Linky charges to 85% of capacity in just 30 minutes and has a range of 15 km (9 miles).
• POWERFUL / The motor is a brushless permanent magnet that can go up 10% hills with 160kg of load and reaches a top speed of 30 km/h. The motor is protected by a cover to ensure safety. It’s optimized to be the best compromise between portability, weight and speed.
• REMOTE / A Linky is operated with a remote control that allows you to gradually increase your speed and also brake. We’ve spent a lot of time developing an ergonomic yet compact remote, which includes a retractable suede strap so you can hang on to it even when your hand is open. It charges via USB. (Note: the remote in the video is not the final version)
• EXTRAS / A USB port allows you to use the board to charge your cell phone. A front LED headlight will help guide you at night.
• APP / We’re also developing an app that will read, store and allow you to share data from the board, as well as to set riding modes. *Currently under development, this is a STRETCH GOAL
Built by hand, in Italy. Each Linky, no matter how big we get, will be hand-built by a single member of our staff. Like the motor of a Ferrari, it bears the symbol of its maker, who ensures quality every step of the way. Yes, this costs more than industrializing the process, but it is important to us to keep up quality and to create a personal connection to the board.
Linky comes with one of three custom designed backpacks or travel bags entirely designed and made in Italy. Our bags are manufactured by hand by an artisan in Monte San Giusto, Italy, who produces accessories for numerous luxury brands.
The “Daily Traveler” is a natural-colored beige knapsack in lined technical material, designed to hold the Linky as well as a 15-inch laptop (in the padded front pocket so it doesn’t get squished) and your other essentials.
The “Minimal” knapsack holds Linky and its remote control, your wallet and phone, and comes in a sturdy but sexy design combining jeans and eco-suede.
The “Voyage” bag is a carry-on-regulation-sized tote in lined jeans and eco-suede with a bottom compartment for Linky, a side pocket for your travel documents, and the top part for your clothes. When not holding Linky, the lower compartment can be used for shoes, books or anything you want.
Our team is united by a passion for travel and green transport. Childhood friends first, and business partners second, we live and work in Central Italy.
Paolo Pipponzi (CEO) – The creative leader – Where there’s something to ride, with 2 or 4 wheels, Paolo is on it! After graduation in Vehicle Engineering, he followed his passion by becoming part of the Ducati Engineering Team where he gained strong experience in product development. He is the creative mind of Linky’s team as well as the person in charge of timing and budget.
Giovanni Laserra (CTIO) – The innovator – Passionate about everything electronic, he gets excited about putting the most cutting edge technologies into Linky. As an electronic engineer with extensive experience in power electronics and electric vehicles, he is in charge of the powertrain system of Linky, from battery pack to motor. Safety is his priority, quality is his goal.
Cristiano Nardi (CSO) – The Traveller – With his masters in international business management he will take care of sales and customer care.
Fabio De Minicis – The perfectionist – As a rock climber, he’s particularly attentive to body movement. Merging his professional experience as an electrical and mechanical technician with his natural attention to detail and his passion for physical activity, he supports the team in every way.
Lorenzo Marretti – The voice – As an emerging journalist he’s always looking for the latest news! He will keep you updated about every aspect of the Linky’s progress.
The core Linky team is assisted by local suppliers for parts and manufacturing as well as marketing and communications. After successful funding, we intend to expand the manufacturing team and engage a permanent workspace.
How will we use the money raised on Kickstarter?
- To make the custom moulds for Linky’s structure
- To pay for electronics and battery certification
- To set up a production line with testing and assembly benches and numerous tools
Thanks to backer feedback, we've decided to make add-ons available. If you've already backed Linky and would like to combine your order with any of the other rewards, extra bags etc., please add the corresponding amount to your donation. We'll get details from you in the survey/fulfillment stage.
If there's something you want but don't see, please send us a message.
- set of 4 Linky red wheels (83mm) 39€
- fast charger 159€
- standard charger 89€
- spare / replacement battery 249€
BAGS & GADGETS
- Beige backpack 40
- Minimal backpack 60
- Voyage bag 175
- Tshirt 20
- Luggage tag 30
These prizes will be unlocked if we reach higher sums on Kickstarter
IN THE BOX
Linky ships with a universal fast charger, remote control, beige knapsack.
ADDITIONAL VIDEOS / FAQ
People asked us about how easy it is to ride Linky, so we held an event with some beginners. Here's the video.
Another request we got was to show the folding mechanism without any cuts. We made this simple smartphone video with no editing at all.
The following videos continue to respond to peoples' requests for videos that prove certain features or tech specs. We can see: speed test live unedited proof of 30k/h (we hit 31 in this video, and 32 in other tests), demonstration of the braking system (in this case moving slowly), and a gradual acceleration from standing.
Risks and challenges
Every hardware project comes with risks. We’ve done everything to diminish these in order to be sure to deliver Linky on time.
We are engineers who already work in the automotive industry, so we’re just moving those skills over to our own product. We’ve got production skills, a product price breakdown and reliable suppliers. In order to reduce potential delays due to suppliers, we are custom developing many parts ourselves (like the folding support system), and other parts have been chosen specifically because they are standard and available from more than one supplier. So far every part of our process has run on time and on budget. We anticipate that the following might cause some slight delays: importation of parts from overseas, FCC/CE certifications.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (52 days)