Our current theatre seats have valiantly and competently served us for 15 years. However, the manufacturer has stopped making replacement parts for them and so they are ready to retire. We have identified a new luxury First Class Lounger seat that will offer unparalleled comfort and durability at a reasonable price and are planning to replace all of the 88 seats in our auditorium. We had planned to self-finance this upgrade, however, our recent $50,000 conversion to digital cinema ( a non-optional expense if we wanted to continue as a movie theatre) wiped out our improvements budget. We are turning to the Kickstarter community for assistance with this project.
What is the value of a seat? Before opening Big Picture I would have considered the value only to be in dollars and possibly the design functionality; I never would have considered or realized the emotional value of a seat. But now, as I look out over the Big Picture auditorium I see 88 seats - seats that have been sat upon, laughed and sometimes cried in, and served as silent witness to a kaleidoscopic array of human emotions and experiences. Over the past 15 years, Big Picture has been an active participant in many life moments; here are a few that come to mind:
- -Movie patrons captivated by the glittering excess of "The Great Gatsby", the human struggle of "The King’s Speech", the outrageously funny "The Hangover (the first one!), the memorable characters in "American Hustle" and we will never forget the frenzied anticipation of the first "Sex and The City" movie.
- First date couples enjoying a movie together and later returning to celebrate their engagement.
- Make a Wish kids enjoying a happy afternoon screening with their friends and family.
- Generous donors gathering for a special fundraising event to help complete strangers who were victims of Hurricane Katrina and events benefiting cancer research.-
- Proud family watching starry – eyed couples exchanging vows in the theater and starting their lives together.
The seat we hope to purchase will allow us to add an additional 4 seats to our auditorium! Once this Project is funded, the seats will be ordered and we expect to have them installed by the end of summer!
We have a variety of Pledge rewards that we are offering and your kind support will insure that moviegoers will have a competitive choice between going to a chain movie theatre or a locally owned neighborhood movie theatre.
Thank you for considering our Project - I look forward to seeing you at Big Picture!
Risks and challenges
We are not anticipating any challenges to this project. Once the seats are ordered, the manufacturer has given us a 10 - week estimate of when they will be shipped. We will need to re-carpet and re-vinyl the theatre with the new seat installation, however, we are prepared to handle this additional expense.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (26 days)