New reward added May 17th: the Blackshore Sailor's Duffle!
As soon as we had the first sample of this bag in our hands, people started to ask us where they could get one: friends, family, journalists, strangers in the street and in the pub!
We've refined the original design to make it even user-friendly and now we're delighted to offer the Blackshore Sailor's Duffle as a Kickstarter reward at 25% OFF the web price.
Designed in Norfolk, inspired by the Suffolk coast, and handmade in a Norfolk Broads boatyard!
- Heavy cotton canvas in our signature orange with navy sail stitching
- Waterproofed for maximum practicality
- Contrast canvas trim
- Lined in cotton poplin
- Authentic marine rope strap
- Superb quality stainless steel yacht cleat.
- Designed to be worn over one shoulder, or both, vertical or horizontal.
- 60cm tall, 30cm diameter
Welcome to Blackshore: authentic British-made coastal clothing, for blokes like us...
We’re Simon and Andy, two old friends from the eastern coast of England, and together we’re creating an authentically British-made menswear brand for men who value local heritage and seek functional, yet stylish design.
The Blackshore story started down on the harbour of the coastal Suffolk town we love so much. It's known as the Blackshore by the way. Bored with the limited high street offering for men 35+, we sat by the water’s edge with pints in hand and dreamt up a menswear collection that embodies the coastal heritage of our island nation – and which is genuinely made in Britain!
By overhauling traditional workwear designs, we've reflected the rich history and unique character of the UK’s coastline in every element of the Blackshore collection, and we’re proud to say that each piece sits comfortably on discerning men of any age.
With the help of a team of experienced creatives and great British factories and workshops, we’ve already finalised our designs and produced our first samples: now we need your help to kickstart the launch of our brand and to go into production.
By pledging your support today you can be among the very first to receive Blackshore clothing, with 25% OFF our web prices, and in turn you will be supporting the resurgence of apparel manufacturing in Britain.
Rewards at 25% OFF web prices
To thank you for backing us on Kickstarter, we've taken 25% off the price of the first five items in our made-in-Britain collection to go into production.
We aim to have these ready for delivery to Kickstarter backers in September, for late-summer and autumn wear.
Full details of every product in the Rewards column on the right of this page, and on our website blackshore.cc
Our passion is the resurgence of British clothing manufacture, so we are making every piece in our collection in British factories: ensuring maximum sustainability, superb quality, and a brand that you can believe in.
What's more, we offer a lifetime visible repair guarantee on every single item! We are making clothes that will stand the test of time and life experience, for men who value knowing the origin of the clothes they wear.
All the details of our full collection, and of our story, including our lifetime visible repair guarantee, can be found on our website blackshore.cc
We hope that you’ll pledge today and give us the kick-start we need.
Thank you in advance,
Simon & Andy, Co-Founders
The Blackshore Manifesto
Blackshore isn't just a business for us. It's a passion. Here's what we believe and what we intend to achieve:
- We are dedicated to making in Britain: supporting British manufacturing resurgence and minimising 'production miles'.
- We are a true independent, founded by enthusiasts who are passionate about the British coast and who are themselves representative of the target market.
- We are focused on making clothes of timeless style and durability, not throwaway transient fashion.
- We aim clearly at the largely ignored market of style conscious and discerning (but not fashion following) men aged 35 plus.
- We prefer small scale production runs and design detailing to ensure desirable rarity compared to ubiquitous mass produced high street brands.
- We champion a distinctive and specific aesthetic, authentically inspired by the coasts of British Isles and the people who work and live on them.
- We are influenced by traditional and functional British workwear. We are, however, modern, not retro or vintage.
- We prefer traditional materials but we will use modern technical fabrics when appropriate.
- Whenever possible we will use British fabrics and components - supporting resurgent British factories.
- We intend to sell direct to our end customers rather than via established retailers, to offer remarkable value for a British made high quality product.
- Our designs are trans-seasonal and each will continue to build to a wide repertoire of classics to which customers can become loyal over years.
- We will take an ethical and sustainable approach to sourcing and to all other aspects of business: including support of clean-seas charities and campaigns.
- We aim to build a community of our customers to become a true 'passion brand'.
- We plan to support British coastal charities, in particular the independent lifeboat services, who are dedicated to saving lives at sea: our natural charitable subject.
- Our ultimate aim is to become the definitive British coastal clothing brand.
Risks and challenges
We believe that we have addressed and dealt with all of of the challenges of creating the Blackshore brand, and of delivering on our rewards, well in advance:
• The founder, Simon Middleton, has substantial experience in British-made menswear, and in building brands;
• The Blackshore team includes a Creative Director and an Apparel Designer who between them have over forty years experience in premium menswear;
• The menswear market, in particular men's casual wear is growing strongly, and our research shows that men over 35 years are underserved;
• The made-in-Britain movement is growing too and is at a stronger place than it has been for two decades or more;
• We have established superb working relationships with key British factories and workshops to produce premium quality products to our unique designs;
• Our own seed investment has enabled us to design and sample our range to the highest standards.
- (30 days)