The Ascender is a digital magazine exploring futurist thought and innovation through powerful, investigative journalism.
WHAT IS THE ASCENDER?
The Ascender is a digital magazine using investigative, narrative journalism to explore futuristic thought and innovation across cultural genre. Through examining the innovative trends, people, places and ideas that forge the future, The Ascender will seek to answer the questions: What is the future? What does it hold for us? How can we create a better future for ourselves?
Every two weeks, The Ascender will publish an average of five stories with classic magazine feature length (approximately 1800 - 2500 words) tied to our theme. Our goal is to provide futuristic insight with evocative, immersive stories in a sleek, efficient form.
WHY THE FUTURE?
The future extends across the boundaries of human thought and by its nature is always evolving, so it is unique and ideal for producing a boundless variety of exceptional and engaging stories. From film to transportation, from art to engineering, The Ascender will explore dynamic futurist ideas across cultural genre and subject. Through examining these stories, our mission is to gain a deeper understanding of human nature, how we live now, and effectively create a BETTER future.
WHY A DIGITAL MAGAZINE?
The Ascender is about the future and is itself the future of journalism. The future is a big idea that requires a form that enables navigating the subject matter in a powerful, expansive way with clarity, focus, and maximum impact. A digital magazine with longer-form stories is a perfect platform to execute the deep, ongoing dialogue that the future dictates. Some other major advantages of a digital platform are:
- Global Reach - The Ascender takes on issues and ideas with global scope and affect. Utiilizing digital and mobile technology allows us expand our reach to readers of the future no matter where they are in the world.
- Immersive Exploration - The Ascender will use select media (photography, video, illustration, infographics) taking advantage of the immersive interactive qualities of the the web and tablets (high resolution, touch, immersive) that convey the stories in a richer, more profound way but without detracting from the storytelling.
- A More Efficient Publishing Schedule - A digital magazine allows us to publish at a more efficient pace than print, maximizing reach without compromising content or design quality.
- An Open Forum with Our Readers - The Ascender is built for readers who care deeply about robust, insightful journalism and a user-centered approach will be at the core of everything we do. We will use digital technology to build a strong community developing an open conversation with our readers to elicit feedback and spurn continual growth.
- A Wide Swath of Voices - The future is a broad subject and a digital magazine give us superior editorial flexibility to connect with a large cross-section of journalists in order to fully explore The Ascender's futuristic themes and ideas to the fullest.
- Future-proof Adaptive Design - The Ascender is built specifically with tablets and mobile reading devices in mind, but we'll also employ adaptive design, open source and web technologies to ensure The Ascender reaches platforms, devices, and digital publishing forms of the future.
The Ascender is a global, futurist, general interest magazine focusing on storytelling through journalistic, investigative, narrative essay. Crossing genre and thought, we will utilize various forms that may fall under this umbrella including: process exploration, character study/expose´, cultural futurism, interview, speculative thought, personal essay, and the occasional photo essay. Areas of particular interest are design, music, sustainability, science, publishing, technology, art, and travel.
The Ascender will also occasionally publish select fiction pieces related to our theme.
OUR DESIGN IDEAL
The Ascender will adhere to a modern, minimalist design that emphasizes and enhances content. Since we believe that technology should work on behalf of story, we won't inundate readers with blurbs, smaller sections, social media feeds or other confusing elements that detract from the narrative. Instead, we will implement a clean, beautiful, navigable interface that allows ease of use in an ad-free environment. The Ascender will use select, beautiful and powerful photography, video, motion, illustration and visualization to provide a rich compliment to the content of the stories while maintaining maximum clarity.
THE FORMAT AND DEVELOPMENT
Initially, The Ascender will be available as an iPad and iPhone application subscription on iOS through Apple's Newstand and available for purchase on the web at www.theascender.org. Additionally, we have plans to make The Ascender truly cross-platform with distribution to Android, Kindle and a variety of other devices and platforms. All of The Ascender's design development will be executed internally by our team.
Our first issues are currently in the works and we will use your contributions to produce and deliver the first 4 issues (2 months) of The Ascender. Your pledges will also allow us to build the Insider community and establish the foundation for The Ascender's long term sustainability and growth. Our launch date is scheduled for August 15, 2013.
HOW WE WILL USE THE MONEY:
Specifically, we will be using your contributions in the four following areas:
- Paying Journalist Contributors - We believe in finding and paying for superior journalists who are masters at their craft. The majority of your pledge money will go to paying talented writers, photographers and other contributors to The Ascender.
- Design and Development - At The Ascender, we see ourselves not only as a digital magazine but as a technology company. We will use your pledges to invest in design and development of latest digital publishing technologies to make sure The Ascender is accessible across platform and reading devices.
- Production and Operation Costs - We will use your pledges to pay for production, operations, and a variety of tools that will help us bring The Ascender to life. Some of these cost areas include software hosting, accounting, communications, design and distribution.
- Marketing - Finally, we will invest your pledges in marketing initiatives that help us reach, build, grow and sustain The Ascender's vision and readership base.
We have some beautiful and engaging rewards lined up for our backers including subscriptions, T-Shirts, community memberships, custom hoodies, invites to our launch part, and a chance to design a custom Ascender anthology. Please help us, get an amazing reward, and become part of The Ascender's future!
PLEASE JOIN US AND HELP US SPREAD THE WORD!
To make The Ascender a reality, we need your kind contributions. Please help us reach our goal by donating and spreading the word across your networks. Please like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and sign up on our mailing list for news leading to the launch. Every bit helps and this is just the beginning of a long friendship we hope to forge with our backers and readers. Always feel free to reach to us at anytime with questions or concerns. We absolutely welcome your feedback. We sincerely appreciate your support!
The Ascender video was directed, shot, and edited by Hal Phillips of Bad Babysitter. A special thanks to Hal and Meg for the warm hospitality in New Orleans.
VIDEO: Time Lapse of Earth from August - October 2011, courtesy NASA International Space Station. License: Public Domain ● To New Horizons(1940) - by Jam Handy Company. License: Public Domain
VIDEO MUSIC : Sonata No.14 - Ludwig van Beethoven performed by The Wedding Band. License:Public Domain ● Humanizing Technology - by alkis. License: Royalty Free, Regular.
COVER IMAGES: Next Demension - by H. Koppdelany ● Full and Empty - by Kai Nicolas Schaper ● Curious Design - by Steven Sandner ● Wind Turbine - by STE Trackside. License: Creative Commons
INTERIOR IMAGE: Radhuset Station - by imagea. License: Creative Commons
APP IMAGES: Alec and the Cage - © Jeff Milisen, Kampachi Farms, LLC ● Aquaculture - © Hawaii Oceanic Technology, Inc. ● All other app images courtesy of NASA. License: Public Domain
Risks and challenges Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
THE FINAL PROMISE
Hi, I'm Johnston. I'm the editorial director and publisher of The Ascender. I just wanted to write a note to all of our backers, future readers, and friends everywhere about our dedication to The Ascender's vision and mission.
As the media world has gone through a great paradigm shift and free digital content has become commonplace, there has been a pervasive notion that readers are reluctant to regularly pay for content. We believe that they will, gladly, with one large caveat: That the reading experience and the content be exceptional.
Without a doubt then, the fundamental key to our success (and our greatest challenge) is acquiring and paying efficiently for the best journalistic talent in order to create a superior, meaningful, and memorable experiences for our readers. If we are able to do this (which we strongly believe we can) then we will be able to build, grow and retain a strong, sustainable readership for many years to come.
While there are inherent risks and challenges to every new venture, we have a unique vision with a dedication to combining adaptable, innovative technologies with high journalistic standard. As an industry is being reborn, this is an exciting time for creative publishers to step to the forefront. We in the media have the power to forge a new path by applying simpler business models, new channels of distribution, and smoother forms of consumption. Our goal at The Ascender is to do our part in shaping this new horizon and we are confident in our ability to execute our vision. Moreover, we have an unwavering commitment to ensuring every issue of The Ascender be an entertaining, thought-provoking, and inspiring experience for our readers. That's a promise.
Thank you and ever forward,
The Ascender is a name we chose because it signifies progress, human development, and the rebirth of a new type of thinking. All these are part of The Ascender's ethos, so we found it apropos. It is also pretty fun to say.
Please do! Your continued pledges toward our goal can only help us strengthen our vision and our big plans for the future. We sincerely appreciate it!
Absolutely! You can read about the type of contributors we are seeking and can submit queries through The Ascender website at www.theascender.org.
Feel free to contact us at anytime with any questions or concerns at: firstname.lastname@example.org.