Dave Cockrum created and designed some of the Bronze Age's greatest costumed heroes. Following his meteoric rise to stardom on DC's Legion of Superheroes, Dave moved to Marvel and unveiled his characters Nightcrawler, Colossus, Storm, Thunder Bird, Mystique, Ms. Marvel and the Black Cat. Along with creative partners Len Wein and Chris Claremont, he breathed life into Wolverine and the X-Men, designed Phoenix, and created the Starjammers. But none of his creations were more colorful or more explosive than his FUTURIANS (Marvel Graphic Novel #9).
The FUTURIANS remained with Dave after he left Marvel and now belong to his widow Paty who has teamed with Aardwolf Publishing to release Dave's final script and art. And Dave's professional friends and admirers have joined in to celebrate and help launch this exciting project.
In addition to Dave's FUTURIANS story (inked by Bob Wiacek) The FUTURIANS RETURN will feature pin-ups from Jim Lee, Bill Sienkiewicz, Ricardo Villagran, Mark Wheatley, Mark McKenna and other Dave Cockrum "professional admirers". Neil Gaiman and Clifford Meth have added written pieces that bring Dave Cockrum himself to life, while Neal Adams, Walt Simonson, Adam Kubert and Andy Kubert have contributed signed bookplates. There's also a breath-taking painted cover by Ray Lago... and even a few surprises.
The following pieces will be featured in the book and are available as perks:
A few notes before you dive in:
1. All hardcopies are limited editions signed/numbered by the Editor.
2. Futurians #0 is a comic published by Aardwolf Publishing in 1995. FUTURIANS RETURN is the new graphic novel that Aardwolf will be publishing following the success of *this* Kickstarter.
3. THE UNCANNY DAVE COCKRUM hardcover was published after Dave passed away. Copies are signed/numbered by editor Clifford Meth.
4. We've established a flat rate for non-domestic shipping. Of course it's cheaper to ship to Canada from the U.S. than to, say, China. So we'll reimburse you if it's significantly higher… and ask for a little more if we've underestimated. Fair enough?
5. Certain items ship to U.S. destinations only. We apologize for that but we don't want anything lost in the mail. If you select an item that specifies U.S. shipping only, you will need to supply a U.S. address before we ship your package.
Risks and challenges
Our first Kickstarter Comic Book Babylon was a resounding success: Everyone who received the book was delighted, while our backers marveled at how we could "give away" original art so inexpensively. But for 20 years Aardwolf has been about reputation and satisfaction -- *our* reputation and *your* satisfaction. We don't anticipate any serious risks: The script and pencils are done and the inks will be provided by Bob Wiacek or (if he flies to the Middle East and gets kidnapped by terrorists) another professional.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (42 days)