This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by .
SONA - Finishing Funds
SONA - Finishing Funds
Lt. Sona is trapped in an escape pod, but what's at stake is more than just her life - it's her sanity.
Lt. Sona is trapped in an escape pod, but what's at stake is more than just her life - it's her sanity. Read more
This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by .
When Lieutenant Belyn Sona, a United Earth Space Corps officer, has to choose between her alien husband and her home planet, she has no option but betrayal. Trapped in an escape pod with no knowledge of her husband's whereabouts, Sona is forced to reckon with what truly matters, and what it takes to survive.
SONA is an eight-episode short form sci-fi series created by and starring Ashley Clements (The Lizzie Bennet Diaries, Non-Transferable), filmed mostly on an escape pod set built in her own apartment.
Unlike many projects on Kickstarter, we have completed principle photography and can guarantee that we WILL release some version of SONA to the public. However, there are some post production elements that are cost prohibitive and we need your help to make the series the best it can be. Rates from other independent production companies “ballpark” the average cost “per finished minute” of Narrative content to be $2,000~$5,000 per finished minute. Therefore SONA’s eight approximately 6-minute episodes would typically cost a minimum of $96,000 to fully realize.
We tried to reduce these costs as much as possible by doing as much of the production work completely in-house with just Brendan and Ashley’s time, talent, and four hands. But there are just some things we don’t have the experience or resources to do, and need your help to finish this ambitious project.
You can see in our teaser how much music and visual effects add to our production - but that's just the 30 seconds that we already have.
Your dollars will go directly on screen to bring essential Visual Effects, Sound Design and Music to our universe. Again, we've asked for the bare minimum of what we need to professionally polish this project, so every dollar really does count, even beyond our campaign goal.
Bells and Whistles are expensive, so our $10,000 goal is the minimum we need for essential score and sound design, minimal VFX and to cover Kickstarter Rewards and Fees. However, the more funds we raise, the more bells and whistles we can afford so we’ve created several stretch goals in case you’re feeling generous:
- $10,500: Live music The first additional $500 will allow our Composer to purchase higher quality instrument packages/plug-ins and even record with a live Violinist.
- $11,500: The Adventures of Space Cat For the next additional $1000, we will add a Cat Lover’s BTS video: Throughout filming, Perdita the space cat would sometimes wander on set. If we make $1000 over our goal, we will go through our footage and edit together a space cat video, purely for your viewing pleasure. No guarantees on cohesive narrative; she’s a cat. Video will be available to all backers at the $25 level and up.
- $13,500: Color Correction The next additional $2000, will allow us to have a professional Colorist take a polish pass and make sure all our color and lighting matches in every shot.
- $18,500: 3D Space Animation As we said, our initial goal was for "essential" post production. When asking for stretch goals, we want to genuinely "stretch" the quality of our project. So the next additional $5000, will allow us to include a unique 3D animation shot in each episode - instead of reusing the same VFX over and over again.
- $20,000 Festivals/Screenings If we double our original goal, we would have the resources to properly market the final show (real PR, submit to film festivals, and maybe even have a premiere).
- $25,000 Additional Scene If we reach $25,000, we will have the budget to add an additional scene Ashley has written that was not possible to shoot with our previous budget of no dollars.
- $30,000 Celebrity Cameo For $30,000, we'll have more than just animated stars in SONA. Regardless of any additional funding, there is one more scene that we are going to shoot. If we hit this stretch goal, we'll get a gosh darn celebrity to be in this scene.
- $50,000 Full Feature Screenplay with Concept Art For $50,000, Ashley will write the full feature-length screenplay of SONA, the equivalent of seasons 2 & 3, and commission black & white concept art to accompany this expanded story. All backers at the $35 tier and above would receive a .pdf version of the screenplay and art in late 2018.
- $75,000 Graphic Novel If we make it to $75,000, we can adapt the entire SONA story, including the above mentioned feature screenplay, into a limited edition full color graphic novel. All backers at the $50 tier and above would receive a signed copy in late 2018.
- $100,000 Live Action Feature Trailer We never expected to be able to expand the SONA universe, and are so excited about where this could go. Based on our previous production, we feel confident we could make an epic trailer of the full-feature version and deliver it to all our backers. All backers at the $25 level and above would continue to receive behind-the-scenes content during the making of this trailer.
- $272,500 Feature Film Well this is just crazy. If we make $272,500, which takes into account kickstarter fees and the fulfillment of all our perks, we'll be able to fund a full-length feature film of SONA. We never imagined something we started making in an apartment would get this far, but if there's anything this process has taught us, it's to reach for the stars.
We're sharing our first behind-the-scenes video with the world. (Others will be backer exclusive!) Check out this time lapse of our set construction!
Ashley Clements (Creator/Actor): Ashley is best known for starring in the Emmy & Streamy Award winning digital series, The Lizzie Bennet Diaries, which launched a record-setting kickstarter for the DVD box set. Ashley has appeared in a number of other kickstarter-backed series: Edgar Allan Poe's Murder Mystery Dinner Party, Muzzled the Musical, and most recently, The Wayward Guide for the Untrained Eye. Other series credits include: Inside The Extras Studio, VGHS, BlackBoxTV, and TableTop. Her feature credits include Non-Transferable, August Falls, Call of the Void, and All The Creatures Were Stirring. An accomplished theater actor, Ashley received her MFA in Acting from The Old Globe/University of San Diego and she's won a bunch of acting awards and stuff. Follow her all over the internet @TheAshleyClem
Brendan Bradley (Director/Actor) As a multi award-winning digital creator, Brendan Bradley has played in over 100 digital shorts and sketches, earning over 40 million views. His television appearances include Elementary, NCIS, Timeless, Wizards of Waverly Place and commercials for Staples. His film work has been featured in festivals world wide, most notably The Sundance Film Festival, SXSW and Methodfest. Find him on all the internet places under the handle @brendanAbradley
Lauren Lopez (Actor) is an actress, singer and dancer currently living in Los Angeles, CA. She’s worked in theatre, commercials and film in NYC, Chicago and LA. Lauren is an original member of Team Starkid. In addition to performing, Lauren loves being an olympic level figure skater. For figure skating tips, follow her on social media: Insta: @slowpez8 Twitta: @LaurenLopez1 YouTube: MsLaurenLopez
Kadi Moreno (Actor) is a Brazilian Actress, best known for the her latest film It’s Darker Before Dawn and the highly acclaimed short Café Turco. She is a well-respected theater actress in São Paulo, where she won prizes for her roles on a Tennessee Williams festival of short plays. She also translated 2 books of Tennessee Williams plays for the Brazilian Market. Among her TV works in Brazil, she has starred on the mini series Bipolar for Sony Channel São Paulo. Building her career in the USA, her feature credits include Bloody Eyes. Kadi graduated from the Lee Strasberg Institute in NYC. In Brazil she has studied with respected TV producer and director Wolf Maya and film coach Fatima Toledo. At the present moment in Los Angeles she is training at Lesly Kahn and Co.
Erik Scott Smith (Composer) is best known for production elements, funny songs and off-beat opinions on the morning radio show The Frosty, Heidi & Frank Show on 95.5 KLOS, which he has been producing for ten years. While radio remains Erik’s focus, he has also appeared in several film and television projects, including Dish Nation, CSI, ER, Cold Mountain, and A Walk To Remember. Erik has released four albums as a solo musician and produced multiple records for other artists. Follow him on Twitter: https://twitter.com/erikscottsmith Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/erik-scott-smith // Also follow Erik’s collaborator Hayven: https://soundcloud.com/HAYVENOFFICIAL
As a special thank you for backing our project, we've planned a few rewards from the SONA series. A limited edition Space Corps patch; 3D Object file of the actual escape pod that can be manipulated on your computer or printed using a 3D printer; and the official poster design.
Risks and challenges
Unlike many Kickstarter campaigns, SONA is almost finished. The biggest risk is not getting the funding to give it the post-production it deserves to deliver the best possible show.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- All gone!