The Short Version
We are funded and producing (at least) three RPG miniatures for all sorts of sci-fi, post-apocalyptic, space opera, and fantasy games that feature aliens, magic, tech, survival, exploration, or all of the above. Two additional miniatures are available as Add-Ons, along with large-scale versions of all five characters.
Miniatures are true 32mm scale (a 6' person is 32mm to the eyes), expertly modeled and cast in resin or 3D printed to get the finest level of detail possible.
The up-front modeling costs are already paid as part of my contribution to this project. I'm taking zero profit from this campaign and every penny goes toward making more miniatures or making the existing miniatures more awesome.
There's a lot more history and background toward the bottom of the page, but let's continue with the big stuff:
This is as simple as it gets:
- $1 gets you access to Add-Ons.
- $10 gets you one mini.
- $20 gets you two minis.
- $30 gets you three minis.
- The first 100 backers to grab a set of all three get them for only $25. If and when Stretch Goals are unlocked, this Early Bird will be good for a pick of any three standard minis, not just the core three.
- $55 gets you a complete set. That's two copies each of the Tusk, Dru, and Grim, along with a Mod Kit for each. That gives you everything you need to create a couple of different configurations of each mini.
- $100 gets you everything. That's two copies of each of the five available 32mm miniatures, and a Mod Kit for each. Create a whole slew of possible combinations.
- Pledge any of those levels and you're eligible for Add-Ons, whether from the base list or those unlocked as Stretch Goals.
- Shipping is separate and charged during the Pledge Management phase once the campaign has closed.
- All miniatures come unpainted, with assembly required. Model cuts can be seen on the individual descriptions.
- Additionally, be sure to check out the additional miniatures and Mod Kits that are available exclusively as Add-Ons.
Below are some 3D printed models, just like will be used to create the "masters" before casting. I've mounted them on U.S. quarters (approximately 1 inch or 25mm diameter) to show the scale. This isn't some hypothetical product... they're right there in front of you, ready to be put into production!
More photos will be made available in an Update.
We'll choose Stretch Goals as a group via an online poll found HERE or by clicking the poll image at the bottom of this section. Stretch Goals will come every $1000 to $1500 of funding, then be available as Add-Ons.
I've taken the liberty of picking the first two Stretch Goals out of the gate based on preliminary fan polling, so that production work can begin on them before the campaign. There are the female Elder and the male Hollow Mage. Others will follow!
UPDATE: As a response to some backer comments, we have updated the first two Stretch Goals. These minis will be available as Add-Ons for a slightly higher price than standard miniatures. This is because at this stage, these minis will be 3D printed (still in high quality resin every bit as detailed as the cast minis) instead of cast. If, however, we hit the below Stretch Goals for price reduction, the economics will allow for these minis will be dropped to $10 and be available as part of the pledge packages. For now, they are exclusively available as Add-Ons.
And there's a lot more where that came from! Among the Stretch Goals being considered, beyond those pictured above, are a couple of larger and more expensive items. We'll continue to grow this list of options as the campaign progresses.
So, to weigh in on what Stretch Goals you'd like to see, don't forget to respond to the poll below by clicking THIS LINK or clicking through the image, below. The form requires that you log in so that you can come back and revise your answer later, but none of your personal information is shared - not even your email address.
Works In Progress
Even though we haven't unlocked any Stretch Goals yet, confidence is so high that modeling is well underway on the first two. Chances are good that if we break the threshold for the third Stretch Goal early on, we'll be able to get an early look at that one as well.
To receive any of the below as part of your backer reward, simply increase your pledge by the listed amount. You'll clarify which minis or other products you want as part during the Pledge Management phase. As with all minis, shipping will be billed after the funding period has ended.
- Additional minis are available at the base price and include the standard pieces.
- Mod Kits include only the additional pieces shown, used to modify the standard mini.
- Resin bases are available in sets of three. They will be made available for print on demand via Shapeways (in various materials) after the campaign, but they are much cheaper as part of the campaign.
- PDF rewards will be delivered via DriveThruRPG as soon as the funding is processed.
- Until meeting the stated Stretch Goals, the Elder and Hollow Mage, and their respective Mod Kits, are available 3D printed as opposed to resin cast. Quality of the prints is every bit as detailed as when casting.
- Mega-Sized minis are the available miniatures but in larger scale, and include the pieces from the Mod Kit as well. These may be cast in resin, but likely 3D printed. Minis that are more massive (have more volume) cost more due to material expense.
Alien Adventurer Miniatures
Since the Breachworld RPG was published a few years ago, I've wanted to have some minis to slide around the table, but it hasn't been in the cards. That situation changed a bit, so here we are.
These miniatures are for more than Breachworld, and will provide an interesting change of pace from the typical wargaming and fantasy minis that we typically see. This Kickstarter offers you the chance to help produce some beautiful, highly-detailed, wild and imaginative minis for your game. They'll look great on your hex grid, hand-scribbled battle map, or up on your shelf. At 32mm scale (height measured to the eyes of an average human), expertly sculpted to lifelike proportions, these resin-cast miniatures show every detail of their uniqueness and character. The larger scales available as Add-Ons offer even more opportunity for painters and collectors.
Every Last Dime
Here is what I think is the coolest part - we're going to put every cent raised in the Kickstarter into the miniatures, with no profit taken. I'd much rather grow this project than make the few extra bucks. Not just that, but to front-load the work and keep the funding goal to a minimum, I've put forward the up-front costs for the first three miniatures as my gift to the effort.
Meeting the funding goal will cover the manufacturing costs of the first three minis, which include prototypes, molds, and material costs. Stretch Goals will cover all of the costs for additional miniatures. Because this is a "break even" campaign, I'll regularly share where we are on production costs and how we are going to spend the available surplus on additional miniatures, small additions to existing models, or giving well-deserved bonuses to the artists.
Thanks to the Artists!
None of this would be possible without the fantastic art team. Concept art is by Breachworld veteran and all-around wonder, Eric Quigley. The fantastic and imaginative digital sculptor is Kevin Cayuela Borg. Photography is by Anthony Vasser. They rule.
Shipping and Fulfillment
Shipping will be calculated on an individual basis and billed after the campaign via Backerkit.
Fulfillment will be handled through our partnership with BlackBox (from the creators of Cards Against Humanity) and will work to give the best rates to backers across the globe by using multiple shipping centers. If you want a shipping estimate, you can check out their website at blackbox.cool or look in-depth at how shipping works in THIS DOCUMENT.
So, Let's Talk About It
I'm excited to see what y'all think. Let's compare notes and see where we want this thing to head, and discuss how we can make it the greatest possible success.
The best place to discuss is right here in the Comments section, so fire away. Some other really good places are:
- Jason Richards Publishing on Facebook
- Jason Richards Publishing on Twitter using the #Breachworld tag
- Breachworld on Google+
- I'll also be blogging more about it at jasonrichards.net
If you want more Breachworld, check out the following:
- The Breachworld official site
- Breachworld products (many free) on DriveThruRPG; some products here, including some free ones, include the full write-ups for the various Player Races that serve as the basis for the miniatures.
Risks and challenges
We've done everything we can to mitigate any risks before the campaign was launched. The remaining major risks are:
1. A technical failure or interruption to supplies could cause delays, such as equipment malfunction, a fire in a warehouse, a shortage of materials, or similar issues. All of the partners on this Kickstarter are seasoned professionals, so this risk is minimal.
2. The project could go so well that additional resources are required, such as additional artists, manufacturers, or shipping concerns. This could potentially cause delays. If this does turn out the case, we'll know early on in the campaign and will keep you informed. If the campaign REALLY blows up we'll cap the offerings and bank the extra capital for an additional campaign once this completes.
3. Issues with modeling or casting could cause delays. However, you have seen the early modeling work, and the history of those involved, and even the preliminary 3D prints, so the capability is clearly established. Our artists and manufacturing partners are veterans of multiple Kickstarters.
4. Post-campaign pledge management and fulfillment always hold challenges, but again our partners in this endeavor are specialists. BackerKit will handle pledge management, and BlackBox (from the creators of Cards Against Humanity) will handle fulfillment.
5. If we have any minis that have very low order numbers, they may simply be 3D printed in resin instead of cast. The level of detail will be the same, but in small lots the buy-in cost for making the molds to cast may be prohibitive.
If you identify any further possibly trouble spots, please raise the flag and your concerns will be addressed.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (14 days)