About this project
"The dark, claustrophobic world design, freaky monsters, cryptic narrative beats, high stakes combat and the superb audio design help create a tension you could cut with a knife" - AlphaBetaGamer
"The world, characters, and monsters are drawn so that the basic details can be perceived, but the rest need to be filled in by the player. This combined with the eerie atmosphere, makes the world seem all the more horrifying. In some ways, this feels more offputting than several other horror titles" - Ethervil
"Its art, in raw state, is most interesting and original than other pixel art works, sometimes archetypal or repetitive. Those shapes, maybe human, always monsters, are like hand-drawing, but they move gracefully and violently" - Me Vs Indie
DOWNLOAD the playable demo NOW at:
- $22,000 : NEW PLAYABLE CHARACTER
- $24,000: NEW GAME +
- $26,000: Reach $22,000 to find out...
L U C A H is a style-action role-playing game about finding oneself in a nightmarish world.
- As one of the Marked, you must use your cursed powers to fend off the Nightmares that hunt you.
- Learn and master the stylish & punishing combat featuring a hybrid of Melee- and Projectile-based styles.
- Customize the action by mixing a rich variety of movesets and character properties to fit your play style.
- Unique Sin & Punishment difficulty system allows you to create the perfect experience for your skill level.
- Coming to PC, Mac, and Linux in 2018.
Lucah is one of the Marked, children with innate magical powers that are hunted and feared for the destructive potential they hold. After a terrifying dream, they wake into a distorted and hellish ritual space.
Dark, oppressive, and dangerous, the world manifests Nightmares to keep Lucah confined in their endless torment. Trapped and afraid, Lucah must survive the onslaught in order to seek Purification and escape the Corruption that threatens to consume them.
"...but you know you must move forward / you must fight / it's all you know..."
- Wield the power of Mantras, sets of elemental magic that hold unique combos of light- and heavy-attacks.
- Combine your power with Familiars that provide long-range offensive support.
- Deal massive damage by unleashing devastating (but risky) Charge Magic.
- Utilize Paradigm Shift to swap Mantras and Familiars in real-time to create vicious combos.
- Counter the Nightmare offensive with your Evade and Parry skills, opening up enemies to powerful Counterattacks.
- When you become overwhelmed, use the power of REWINDs to move back time and get an instant second chance.
- Create unique fighting styles with customizable Paradigms, which allow you to mix and match different Mantras and Familiars.
- Equip Paradigms with sub-Mantras to alter the properties of your attacks.
- Further tailor your character with Virtues that grant various advantages in combat, such as faster Stamina regeneration or the ability to withstand a lethal attack.
- Earn La from fallen Nightmares that you can use to Level Up your character's attributes, such as Health or Attack Power.
"finally, you breathe / in...out... / the pain subsides and you muster the courage to open your eyes..."
Nicolo is a composer with background in ambient, noise, and dub. L U C A H will be his soundtrack debut.
L U C A H is currently in an ALPHA state, which means the core mechanics are complete, the aesthetic style is set, and the game's progression is plotted and locked down. The current demo covers the first three chapters of the game (about an hour of playtime), with a total of ten chapters planned for the full game (planned 6-8 hours of playtime).
In order to complete L U C A H, we need finishing funds to pay for the development of these last seven chapters. These chapters will include plenty of new Nightmares and Bosses to fight, more Mantras, Familiars, and Virtues to find, new Friends & Foes to meet, and the rest of the Dreamscape to explore.
A portion of the Kickstarter funds will also be used for licensing and various other fees involved in developing a commercial game, such as the engine license and the Steam Direct fee. In addition, once the game's content is complete, time will be dedicated to implementing extra visual & mechanical polish.
If the funding goal is exceeded, the additional funds will be used to pay for the development of post-game content, to be included for free in the base game:
- New Game+ modes that increase difficulty with newly-designed, extra-challenging Nightmare encounters, as well as new story scenes to discover.
- Infinite Mode, to test your character builds and combat prowess against endless waves of Nightmares and Bosses.
We also hope to pursue a console release (PS4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch) once the game is completed.
- $1: Acolyte [your name in the game's credits and an exclusive L U C A H wallpaper]
- $10: Apostle [a digital copy of the game, plus the previous tier - limited to early backers!]
- $15: Disciple [a digital copy of the game, plus credit and exclusive wallpaper]
- $25: Priest [a digital download of the L U C A H soundtrack, in addition to the rewards in the previous tier]
- $40: Bishop [adds L U C A H Digital Companion Guide & Artbook, which includes strategies, design commentary, and original concept sketches]
- $50: Martyr [upgrades digital copy to L U C A H ~ Special Edition ~, featuring playable developer commentary, plus previous rewards - limited to early backers!]
- $60: Archbishop [L U C A H ~ Special Edition ~ tier for those who miss the early backer opportunity]
- $75: Archdiocese [gain exclusive access to Beta Versions of L U C A H, while the game is still in development, plus previous rewards - limited to early backers!]
- $90: Metropolitan [L U C A H Beta Access tier for those who miss the early backer opportunity]
- $150: Cardinal [Memento - have your name and story included as one of the in-game collectible Memories, plus all rewards in the previous tier]
- $200: Major Archbishop [a personalized portrait in the L U C A H art style, plus all rewards in the previous tier]
- $500: Cardinal Bishop [Design a Nightmare - work with the developers to design an enemy Nightmare, in addition to the previous tier]
- $1000: Vicar [become a part of L U C A H as an in-game NPC (non-player character), and receive an Associate Producer credit, in addition to the previous tier]
- $4000: Spirit [Design a Boss - work with the developers to design a Boss encounter, and receive an Executive Producer credit, in addition to rewards from the previous tiers]
For more information and updates on L U C A H, be sure to follow us at:
L U C A H is a deeply personal project about struggle and self-discovery, and by helping to make it a reality, you make it possible to put L U C A H into the hands of those who can learn and grow from the experience we hope to share!
Thank you so much for your time!
Risks and challenges
melessthanthree is a very small team, and as such any personal setbacks such as health or family emergencies could delay L U C A H's development. In addition, game development is highly volatile, and though precautions have been taken to mitigate these concerns, unforeseen technical issues could cause minor delays in the game's release.
However, melessthanthree is a team with experience shipping multiple completed titles in the indie, console, and mobile spaces, and we're confident we will bring L U C A H to completion in a satisfactory manner.
L U C A H's foundation has already been built, and finishing it will only involve building on top of what is already playable. The funds raised on Kickstarter will help ensure L U C A H's development receives the full attention and priority it deserves to become the incredible game it wants to be.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)