Turnover is a 2D survival-stealth game for Windows & Linux.
Stuck in the middle of an armed and hostile takeover, you are attempting to escape your company's building alive. You guide Clea, floor by floor, to her freedom. Being an average office worker, you have to rely more on your patience and wits to sneak out, as opposed to utilizing combat skill.
Each floor of the building is populated with soldiers and security systems meant to neutralize anyone trying to escape. The player will need to use cover, speed, and silence to their advantage.
You may need to memorize the routines of guards to decide the best time to slip past. You might find some means to distract them. Or, you might just encounter a barking guard dog that gives away your position...
On some floors, the player will need help from their coworkers to press on. You'll sometimes need to shepherd a terrified IT worker to a locked security console so the security cameras can be shut off. You may also find a security officer that can help you drop a few bad guys.
There is more implemented, and even more planned for future, but this a good summary of the core aspects of Turnover.
- Over 30 levels of stealth gameplay. Sneak, distract, or engage enemies to find freedom.
Use your patience and wits. Certain situations call for certain tactics. Learn your enemies' patterns and weaknesses to sneak past.
- Utilize your environment. Make noise and cause a commotion to divert attention or spray a fire extinguisher to create your own cover. You can even turn your enemies' own weapons against them.
- Seek the aid of others. Recruit IT workers to shut down security systems and use Rent a Cops as they engage enemies in combat.
- Full gamepad support, 21:9 UltraWide support.
In America, the fight for profits has become more than just tax breaks and benefit cuts. Having won the class war, barons of industry have now turned their weapons on each other.
When Grand Robotics Inc., a leading automaton manufacturer, was rebuffed by Bartleby Automation during their buy-out attempt, they turned to a private security firm to execute a hostile takeover of Bartleby's Corporate HQ. The firm storms in, cuts the lights, and locks the building down.
You play Clea Holden, a desk jockey who becomes caught in the middle of the armed, corporate takeover attempt. Instead of sticking around for a resolution, you make a desperate attempt to escape the madness. Armed with only your patience and wits, you must escape the standoff alive!
Turnover is currently being developed by myself, in collaboration with one game tester. Development of the game has followed a no budget, DIY ethos, thus the smaller funding goal of this Kickstarter campaign. Everything has been kept lean and mean.
Development for Turnover's engine began around May 2013 and work on Turnover as a game began sometime around October 2013. Since that time, development has steadily marched forward. Turnover's IndieDB page is frequently updated with new media, news, and progress reports.
As it stands, the game is a little over half finished. The core mechanics are implemented, and gameplay is improved upon frequently, including new ways to interact with the world. New enemies are also planned. HUD work is feature complete, but ongoing. Roughly half of the levels are complete.
The majority of the second half of the game still needs to be completed. This includes any new enemies, gameplay, art, levels, cutscenes, menus, music & sounds, profiling, and testing.
I'm shooting for an an alpha release around early 2015.
Turnover will be released DRM-Free for Windows & Linux. If funded, I will start work on a Mac port.
If the campaign goal is reached, I will also put Turnover up for vote on Steam Greenlight in the future, and it will be all thanks to you!
To be realistic, some funds are going to be needed to take Turnover from a game in progress to a finished product. While my time is fully invested in Turnover, funding would help push Turnover to the next level.
This KickStarter campaign is "Phase One" of funding Turnover. Future low goal crowd funding campaigns may launch if needed.
Here is a breakdown of how the funds from this campaign will be used:
- To cover the Steam Greenlight fee so Turnover can have a shot at getting on Steam.
- To purchase Mac OSX to begin work on a Mac port of Turnover.
- To cover the establishment of an LLC so Turnover can be sold correctly. The budget will cover all expenses required.
- To cover hosting space and a domain name for Turnover.
- To cover the Kickstarter and Amazon Payments fees.
Backer's Only Dev Blog:
- A blog where I'll post development screenshots and behind the scenes updates.
- I'll also ask questions when needed to get some quick feedback from followers.
- Includes Alternative Clea sprites so you can choose her look before you play.
- Incorporates any "early" or test features before they move to final.
- "Making of" PDF.
- More to come...
Creative - Sentinel & Co-Workers:
- Help design the look of the Sentinel, Co-Worker, and terrified NPCs.
- Define hairstyle, color, and general look. Provide a sketch or a description and I'll adapt it.
Creative - Levels:
- I'll provide what is possible within a game level, and you provide a layout of the floor as a sketch or a description, including enemy and item placement if you wish!
- I'll adapt, test, and incorporate your level layout for Turnover, keeping as close to your layout and original intentions as provided.
Risks and challenges
A tentative release window is set, the gameplay and details are planned, and work on Turnover continues day by day. The biggest challenge is releasing Turnover within a reasonable time frame and at the quality that I am aiming for. Successful funding will increase the chance that Turnover can land on the more popular game distribution platforms. This will aid early access to the game and will help me gather a larger pool of feedback to improve the game.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)