pivot - The worlds most versatile magnet mount!
pivot - The worlds most versatile magnet mount!
Mount your things all around! Customized adhesive magnets that allow you to conveniently mount almost anything wherever you please!
Mount your things all around! Customized adhesive magnets that allow you to conveniently mount almost anything wherever you please! Read more
About this project
pivot - Simple, Everyday Magnet Mount
Hello, my name is Joseph Segura and I am the Founder of Prevail Prototypes, a business dedicated to supporting start-ups from prototype to production. After months of research and development, I'm ready to launch my first personal product - Pivot!
Pivot is a universal mount that uses the newest technology in magnetism.
The idea behind pivot came to me when I got into my car one day and realized that I needed to invest in a mount for my phone that would allow me to easily view maps or answer calls. Mounts that I had dealt with in the past were bulky, took up space, and were typically device specific. That's where pivot comes in!
Over the past year and a half and many revisions later, I have created pivot. Pivot started out as a phone mount but has turned into much more. Placing them on items and in locations thought your day allows you to conveniently use one product interchangeably.
Slim yet powerful, while containing multiple features.
There are a few things that separate pivot from similar magnet mounts:
1. Pivot is a universal mount that goes beyond just smartphones and vehicle dashboards. Pivot uses a custom printed magnet that utilizes multiple positive and negative poles to create a 90 degree locking system. By tuning your object 90 degrees the poles lock and the mount stays firmly in place, keeping your object from rotating.
Coupled with a semi-permanent adhesive for surface mounting, you can be confident that whatever you chose to secure will stay on strong and come off when needed.
2. With pivot you're able to mount many objects and devices to multiple types of surfaces. Pivot comes in pairs of two, one white, and one black. One for adhering to a device or object, and the other for mounting in a location of your choosing. Because pivot uses Polymagnet technology you can mix and match colors. Black to Black, White to White. Unlike most magnets pivot has both North and South poles on each side making them completely interchangeable.
3. Another benefit to pivot's printed magnets is its minimal interference with electronics. Pivot has a tight reach Polymagnet which allows it to work with most electronics.
Pivot is simple to use:
- Peel off backing
- Place pivot on surface
- Peel backing off second pivot and place on object
- Now your pivots are ready for use!
As I mentioned earlier, I have been working on this product for quite some time. The reason being I enjoy learning how to build things myself. I work out of a maker space called TechShop, in San Jose which allows me to work close with other makers. These makers have helped me throughout this whole process.
- The first step was working along side Jerry Ancheta, an industrial designer at Techshop, who helped get my vision onto paper!
- The next step was to CAD model my design to ensure that I had the right look and that everything worked properly before having a mold made.
- Douglas Scott is a maker space who specializes in CNC and carbon fiber work. He helped by making the mold that would allow me to test the product thoroughly before speaking to manufacturers.
- The next step was to test out the mold that had been created on the injection molder. After spending hours testing the mold, we finally had it right!
- Now came the fun part!
There are benefits to using a maker space as your work shop. TechShop San Francisco has one of the only prototype MagPrinters. Put any Neodymium magnet into the tray and customize the placement of the North and South poles. This is where the magic happens, why use a regular magnet when you can use a special locking pattern built right in.
Deciding on the perfect pattern was incremental to having what I felt was the best possible product.
- Lastly, insert printed magnet into shell and apply adhesive backing.
Spread the Word Special!
For those who back the project and take a screenshot of them posting our Kickstarter campaign on social media, I will send you something extra! Send the screenshot to email@example.com with the Subject line: "Kickstarter Spread the Word Special"
Refer a Friend!
Do you want free pivots?!
If you refer a friend and they back the product you will receive a free gift! Simply email firstname.lastname@example.org with Subject line: "Refer a Friend" and include the name of the backer.
No limit to amount of referrals! Come time to ship orders I will make sure you receive a free pivot mount with each friend you referred!
To be able too reach our goal and bring this product to life, I need the help of the Kickstarter community. Pivot is unlike most magnet mounts and uses specialized printed magnets. Although all the prototyping on this project was done myself to create these magnets, the orders needed to fulfill our goal will have to be sourced out and therefore will require a minimum order in the thousands.
My promise to the community and backers is to make sure all orders are delivered on time and that the product is what has been promised.
Thank you Kickstarter community!
CAUTION - MAGNETS ARE NOT TOYS
Risks and challenges
Pivot is a straight forward design but with a twist in technology. My main concern for this project was creating a product exactly as I wanted. I have taken the past year and half to test everything possible and make sure the details throughout the Kickstarter were figured out early on. As my idol Elon Musk would say, "Great companies are built on great products." I did not want to just create something that worked, I wanted create something that worked like nothing else.
My main challenge is raising the amount of funds needed to get these into production and bring down the costs significantly. I have been working alongside several companies to make sure that if the goal is met, I am able to produce the quantity needed and in the time frame I would expect as a backer.
I have experience in delivering products for start ups and would love if the Kickstarter community would help guide pivot too continuously improve!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (35 days)