First of all, I’d like to say thank you very much for your patience. For myself and the artists, the Round Zero exhibition and making of the HEAVYWEIGHTPAINT documentary has been a massive commitment, taking many unexpected twists and turns, albeit mostly positive ones. We’ve all been spending a lot of time balancing work and life demands (newborns included!) while chipping away at what needs to be accomplished to complete the film and continue to (slowly but surely) fulfill our promised incentives. Again, we are so appreciative for the momentum you were able to provide on this journey - we would not be at this point without you!
In regards to the film:
When we started the funding drive we thought it would take about a year for me to capture what was needed for a great story. Now, looking back at how things unfolded, I realize how important it was to extend filming beyond the original target date in order to continue documenting many additional life events (both good and bad) for the artists that have created an even richer palette to draw from to tell the HEAVYWEIGHTPAINT story in more compelling detail... Our final (FINAL!) footage will be shot in September at Jerome's New York solo show entitled "The Visible Man". The result will be a period of filming spanning over three and a half years. It's the longest-term project I have been involved in during my career to date, and also one of the most exciting.
As you can probably imagine, all that film takes a lot of time to organize and edit (thus the title of this post). However, I’m glad to say that I’m at the tail end of the most time-consuming aspect of an edit like this – Synching and Cataloguing all that’s been shot, or “wrangling the footage” as I like to call it.
More on the technical side (for those who are curious):
Synching audio with the picture is required because I’ve leveraged a DSLR (Digital Single-Lens Reflex Camera) for most of this project. The DSLRs give great picture quality but lack in the area of sound, so I’ve recorded high quality audio to separate devices throughout the shoots. But, even with the progress that software has gained in the past few years, it still remains a very time-consuming endeavor to join the two for the edit. After synching I’ve then been cataloguing the footage into organized reels with highlighted sections to grab story points for the final cut-down edit.
Currently the raw footage spans over 3 Tera-Bytes (about 3.3) with about 101 reels (based on shooting session, time and scene… they average about an hour each), so I've estimated I have more than 100 hours of footage total. The goal is to edit this down to approximately an hour and a half of footage for the final cut of the film.
With the first major milestone in sight (I have about 10% to synch and catalogue left) I feel I have a clearer view of an accurate timeline as to when the film will be complete. You'll find this timeline listed below, along with some of the notable events I’ve filmed since our last update. I can also assure you we continue to work towards delivering the incentives that have required extra time, or are related to the final product, and we can't wait for you to receive them!
As always we are very thankful for your support and continued interest as we push towards completion of the HEAVYWEIGHTPAINT feature-length documentary film. I look forward to sharing the next update - this project has taken us on an incredible adventure. As soon as it's finished, we will be gearing up towards hitting the film festival circuit in 2015.
Thanks again! Warmest regards,
Updated HEAVYWEIGHTPAINT Timeline:
Post-"Round Zero" Exhibition filming:
Continued Phone/Skype interviews along with several “check-in” style shoots throughout 2013 and into 2014.
- Tim - retrospective at UNC Chapel Hill Sept 2013, and solo show in Washington, DC, Oct 2013
- Taha - solo show in NYC March 2014
- Joe - solo show in NYC March 2014
- Jerome - I will be filming Jerome’s solo show in September of 2014 ("The Visible Man" – centered around African-American albino super model, Shaun Ross)
Art Basel Miami - Tim, Jerome and Taha - December 2013
Four Man Final Sit-down Interview – April 2014
Estimated Delivery Timeline (incentives and film):
- Movie Posters – Shipping in November 2014
- Rough Cut Movie Screening/Dinner with Exec Producers (Location TBA – either DC or NYC) - December 6th or 13th, 2014
- Exec Producer Original Art work(12x12) – November & December 2014
- Festival Ready cut - January 15th, 2015
- Digital Download of Film + Extras January 30, 2015
- Digital Download of score (mixed and mastered) February 2015
- All four Artist Books delivered January 2015
Website & Social Media:
- Updates – Relevant Article, Pictures - September 15, 2014
- Twitter account updated – August 8th, 2014
- Online Store - t-shirts, posters, and other merchandise made available for purchase - January 2015
- Next Backer Update – mid-September 2014, - after filming of Jerome’s exhibition