About this project
The basic set includes forty-five individual handouts -two full-sized newspaper front pages, a pocket journal, a book of matches, several scrolls, numerous clippings, telegrams, letters, etc.- all lovingly reproduced from the originals available in the Masks of Nyarlathotep campaign book.
Designing this set, the most important priority was realism. To this point, great lengths have been taken to achieve a remarkable level of historical accuracy- helping produce a highly immersive environment for players and keeper alike.
If you're looking to build a believable world for your players, this set was designed for you.
(This set is intended for use with Chaosium's Masks of Nyarlathotep Campaign, and has been approved and licensed.)
This project began as a personal one- I was planning on running masks for a new group and wanted to offer a memorable experience. When I shared photographs of my work with the internet, it became clear that there was no small amount of demand for these props.
While I'm capable of producing the props in small quantities, in order to sell this prop set to a larger audience, I need funds to pay for:
- Manufacturing of some objects (eg. matchboxes)
- Outsourcing of some printing
The $5k goal will cover all of these and allow me to put forward a really polished, professional product.
“The prop clues I designed for Masks of Nyarlathotep in 1995 were okay for the time, but most of them seem horribly dated now. Masks is the highest-rated role-playing campaign of all time. Ben is giving us the state-of-the-art clues Masks of Nyarlathotep deserves—I backed this project myself. I have since reviewed early proofs of the clues: five stars!”
—Thomas Phinney, 3rd edition Masks of Nyarlathotep designer, prominent typographer, and expert witness on forged documents
"These props are beyond incredible and are absolutely necessary for any Masks campaign. The quality, quantity, and attention to detail cannot be overstated. The bar has been set very high."
-Dave Sokolowski, Author of He Who Laughs Last, and contributor to The Masks of Nyarlathotep Companion
"I received my copy of these handouts recently. I think it has been well executed with a careful eye to detail. All the props really bring the game to life and combined with the Masks Companion would make it one of the most impressive campaigns ever published.
The handouts are rendered to give an impression of handouts from the 20s, with typeface, paper types, smudge marks, all working to tell a compelling story of Jackson Elias and his tragic search for knowledge.
I hope this work will be seen as one of the finer examples of fans contributing to the community".
-Matt Vincent, Yog-Sothoth user
"These props rock! Even better than what I was hoping for. So many different materials, sizes, textures, etc.
Completely worth it for me (indeed, I considered it an extreme bargain, considering how much time my group will be playing MoN). I've spent hours making props for other scenarios, but I never reached this level of quality. I've also seen Mythos type props/sculptures selling for hundreds elsewhere, and they had nowhere near the utility of these.
-jorune, Yog-Sothoth user
- Support ($1) Just looking to help? One dollar will buy you access to any inside progress updates, as well as the knowledge that you helped this project become a success.
- Poster ($20) At this tier, you will receive a copy of the 11”x17” campaign poster, perfectly sized for any standard frame.
- Prop Set ($65) A complete set of all forty-four props, lovingly crafted to the highest level of historical accuracy.
- Prop Set + Maps + Soundscape ($85) This tier includes the full set of props, as well as a set of soundscapes modeled after every single location in the campaign book. The soundscapes will be available through digital download. Additionally, you will receive a set of historical maps for each location, as well as period photographs.
- Passports + Visas ($175) In addition to the prop set, posters, and soundscapes, this tier includes a set of four period accurate passports as well as a set of rubber visa stamps for each location- all modeled on actual historical visas.
- Custom Keeper Screen ($225) All previous tiers as well as a custom keeper screen. This screen has been customized for Masks, and contains charts for sea travel, campaign specific tomes, and currency conversions!
- Bluestone Cthulhu Idol ($325) All previous tiers as well as the bluestone Cthulhu idol from the London chapter. The 7" model is rendered below. The model will be 3D printed and cast in solid polyurethane resin.
- Mask of Hayama ($325)All previous tiers AND the Mask of Hayama from the New York Chapter. The mask is cast in solid polyurethane resin and measures 9" in length. (Note: This tier does not include the Cthulhu Idol).
- Master Tier ($600) The Mask of Hayama, The Bluestone Cthulhu, The Eye of Light and Darkness, a custom leather folio, and your name worked into the props!
We are also offering the Eye of Light and Darkness as an add-on item. The Eye measures 7"x 4" (18cmx11cm), and is split down the middle, into two parts. This piece was sculpted by Delphes of the Sedefkar Simulacrum project.
Simply add $75 to your pledge and message us here.
Some objects (Passports, Visas, Statues) will not be available following this campaign. Most others will increase in price by 15-25% (before taking into account the free shipping).
If you are interested in becoming a part of this project, and getting your hands on some limited edition props- now is the time.
- $8,000 I will design a period-style calendar for the keeper, running from January 1925 to January 1926. It will include the cycles of the moon, as well as all major holidays. Alongside this calendar, I will produce a timeline of historic news events, as well as corresponding news clipping handouts. These will be included in every prop set.
- $9,000 I will create a set of postcards from each location which will be included with every prop set.
- $10,000 If we reach this level, I will create reproductions of Prof. Cowles’ slides mentioned in handout #23. These slides will be included in every prop set.
- $11,000 At this level I will create fog spawn larvae within vials. These will also be included in every prop set.
- $12,000 Steamship tickets, included in all sets
- $13,000 Firearms/Dangerous Goods import form, included in all sets
- $14,000 Train tickets, included in all sets
- $20,000 Letterhead from a hotel at each location
- $24,000 Custom Character Sheets
- $30,000 Excerpts from the ledgers of Edward Gavigan, Ho Fong, Omar Shakti et al.
- $40,000 Dossiers for each member of the Carlyle expedition.
- $60,000 We will include photos of every physical prop in every set.
- $80,000 We will make potato salad. This will be included with all tiers.
Call of Cthulhu is a trademark of Chaosium Inc. and is used here with their permission.
Risks and challenges
At this point, there is very little in the way of risks or challenges. The props themselves have all been designed, and thoroughly prototyped. I have already found suitable printers for any objects I will be outsourcing.
The only foreseeable problems would be due to high demand. However, in the event that the workload overwhelms my production capabilities, I will simply bring on an assistant.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)