We're 200% funded! Thank you!
Stretch Goal #3 ($18,000) achieved! We have unlocked a hardcover version of the anthology available as an add-on item!
Stretch Goal #2 ($15,000) achieved! We have unlocked 2 new add-ons: high quality prints of Julie Dillon’s original cover art and exclusive eReader sleeves! Contributors of original work (both authors and cover artist) will also receive another raise!
Stretch Goal #1 ($12,000) achieved! Catalysts, Explorers & Secret Keepers will be 50 pages longer, and all contributors of original work will receive extra pay!
As promised, our call for submissions is now open! Learn more about what we're looking for and our submission guidelines here!
In response to the overwhelming support for our Journal of Science Fiction, the Museum of Science Fiction is pleased to announce Catalysts, Explorers & Secret Keepers, an anthology of science fiction showcasing how women have been an integral part of science fiction as authors, as readers, and as characters for more than a century. With content curated by Museum staff, this anthology will include a variety of original and reprinted fiction from preselected authors and new fiction selected during an open call for submissions.
Our team at the Museum of Science Fiction believes an anthology of science fiction is the perfect take-home exhibit. Many museums publish books to provide context and background to highlight their special, temporary exhibits. We’ve decided to build on this principle and create a curated science fiction anthology as an exhibit meant to be taken home, experienced at your own pace, and shared.
Showcasing the works of science fiction greats allows us to illustrate their influences on the genre, while rounding out the anthology with unsolicited talent helps us better recognize and celebrate how writers help shape the ever-changing nature of science fiction and its future. Science fiction grows and changes every day, and short stories have been one of the genre’s hallmarks for much of its history. By creating an exhibit of notable short science fiction pieces, we illustrate how the short fiction market has shaped science fiction as we know it.
Once we hit our funding goal, we will post an open call for submissions lasting until December 1, 2016. Anyone will be able to submit work, and we will consider it as long as it fits our theme. Authors of original fiction published in Catalysts, Explorers & Secret Keepers will receive the SFWA-standard pro-rate of US$0.06 per word, while authors of solicited reprints will receive US$0.03/word. If we hit our funding goal before the end of the campaign, we’ll open our submission window early! All authors published in this take-home exhibit will be invited to discuss their work as presenters and panelists in 2017 at Escape Velocity, the Museum of Science Fiction’s annual celebration of all things science fiction.
Funds raised during this campaign will cover payment to authors contributing to the anthology, publishing costs, mailing costs, and commissioning the Hugo-winning artist Julie Dillon to create original cover art. Any surplus funds will help finance the Museum of Science Fiction’s educational programs in the Washington, DC metro region.
Because we’ll be holding an open call for submissions, we anticipate that we’ll be sending copies of the finished anthology to backers approximately 10 months after the Kickstarter campaign ends. Once backers have received their copies of the book, the Museum will make electronic and print copies of the take-home exhibit available for purchase at a higher price on our website.
- Eleanor Arnason
- Catherine Asaro
- Monica Byrne
- N.K. Jemisin
- Nancy Kress
- Naomi Kritzer
- Karen Lord
- Seanan McGuire
- Sarah Pinsker
- Kiini Ibura Salaam
- Carrie Vaughn
- Jane Yolen
- Sarah Zettel
- $17 – 1 exclusive Museum of Science Fiction tablet sleeve, (9-3/4 X 8 inches).
- $20 – 1 additional print copy of Catalysts, Explorers & Secret Keepers. Please add $20 for international shipping.
- $47 – 1 hardcover print copy of Catalysts, Explorers & Secret Keepers. Please add $20 for international shipping.
- $60 – 1 high-quality print of Julie Dillon’s cover art for Catalysts, Explorers & Secret Keepers (approximately 16 X 20 inches).
- $90 – Ground Crew MOSF membership (includes members-only updates, discounts, and future MOSF pass).
We’ll be updating you whenever we hit fundraising milestones, as we add new contributors to the project, and as the project continues to develop.
To learn more about the Museum of Science Fiction and its current projects, please visit www.museumofsciencefiction.org. To view the Museum's free, peer-reviewed academic journal, please visit http://publish.lib.umd.edu/scifi.
Risks and challenges
1. In the event that a contributor withdraws from this take-home exhibit, we are prepared to do one of the following: solicit reprint rights from another author for an existing short story; replace the withdrawn story with another appropriate, published manuscript whose copyright has expired; or ask an unsolicited author whose original submission was strongly considered for inclusion in 'Catalysts, Explorers & Secret Keepers' if they would still be interested in participating in the anthology, and work with them to strengthen the previously rejected work.
2. The timeline for delivery of the book could change due to delays in the editing or production processes (such as delay in printing at the press, etc.). Our project manager is also the Managing Editor of the Journal of Science Fiction, and she has experience handling unexpected challenges during the editorial and review processes. We’ll be leveraging her experience to ensure smooth submission, editorial, and publication processes for our exhibit-anthology.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (29 days)