My Name is Erick Sánchez and I’m a Visual Artist based in New York City. Three and a half years ago, I said goodbye to my family and friends and I moved from Puerto Rico to NY to pursue my dream of being a professional artist. This move was full of obstacles but within a year I was awarded a study scholarship with the artist/instructor Bruce Dorfman at Art Students League of New York.
My first big project in the US was a series of large scale landscape paintings and installations entitled Dangerous Lands. At the time, there was turmoil in my life and creating these pieces helped me heal personal wounds. It was also intended to trigger introspection and to create awareness about environmental and social contemporary issues. This project was well received by curators and critics, and the paintings have gotten numerous recognitions, culminated with a solo show at the Wagner Gallery in New York University. Also, one of the pieces is now part the permanent collection of The Tucson Museum of Art.
Genesis: Creation and Decadence
An art exhibition and video by Erick Sánchez
As my life became more stable, I no longer felt Dangerous Lands reflected my present circumstances as an artist. Even though I’m still very passionate about environmental and social issues, I want to find new ways to express my renewed faith and optimism.
I started to explore the Old Testament and became fascinated by the drama and hope in the biblical stories finding them full of visual possibilities. I decided to create a new series entitled Genesis. Although these stories have been depicted for thousands of years, I'm excited to share my particular perspective with the world.
Art has been my passion for many years now. I believe I can leave a legacy to future generations by creating something unique and beautiful.
I intended to present this series of paintings and installations on November 1, 2012 at the St. Mary’s Church Gallery Space in Times Square and I need your help! The exhibition space will be open and free for the public to enjoy.
The Process Video
Not only will this project be a way for me to show my artistic view about this subject, but my plan is to also create an educational painting video showing my process and techniques of mixing, applying and handling alternative materials. I create my own paints from pigments and recycled materials. In this video, I will go through my entire process from preparing the canvas to mixing the pigments, glazing and the finishing touches. I will post it on Youtube and in my website free to all. Not only will this enrich artists’ and art students’ knowledge, but it will encourage them to explore new visual possibilities.
With your generous support, I’m going to buy materials for the artworks. I’m also going procure everything I need for the video and the exhibition, including invitations and catalogs.
REWARDS FROM ME TO YOU
In return for your pledge, you will receive rewards based on your contribution amount. These include:
- A big “thank you” with your name in the exhibition catalog as a sponsor.
- A mailed postcard print of one of my paintings with a personal message handwritten with love on the back from me to you.
- A Limited Edition signed-by-the-artist 8” x 10” print released to KickStarter supporters ONLY.
- A bird! Yes, an original handmade and signed-by-the-artist bird about 8-10 inches wide (as seen in the picture bellow).
- An original signed-by-the-artist 6" x 9" mixed media (light textured) abstract painting on 140 lbs Museum quality paper from the Genesis/Apocalypse series.
- An original signed-by-the-artist 12" x 18" mixed media (light textured) abstract painting on 140 lbs Museum quality paper from the Genesis/Apocalypse series.
- An original signed-by-the-artist 18" x 24" mixed media (light textured) abstract painting on 140 lbs Museum quality paper from the Genesis/
For those who want even MORE, I’m also offering three TOP-LEVEL REWARDS for a fraction of my original price:
- An original signed-by-the-artist 12" x 12" mixed media (highly textured) abstract painting on canvas from the Genesis series and three-piece original handmade and signed-by-the-artist installation of birds in different sizes (as seen in the video).
- An original signed-by-the-artist 24” x 24" mixed media (highly textured) abstract painting on canvas from the Genesis series.
- An original signed-by-the-artist 48” x 48" mixed media
(highly textured) painting on canvas from the Genesis series that will
be featured in the exhibition and in the catalog.
The prices of my original paintings are out of reach for many people, so this is a great opportunity for you to own one of my pieces to treasure forever!
If you're excited about this project, please pledge and help spread the word by sharing this page with others!
Remember... IT IS ALL OR NOTHING!!!
THANK YOU!!! :)
MORE ABOUT ME:
My website is www.ericksanchez.net
There you will also find my bio, portfolio, painting videos, blog & more.
**Details about shipping
The buyer will be responsible for the packing and shipping cost of the pieces acquired. These canvas pieces cannot be shipped rolled. A wood crate is highly recommended for the 48” x 48” pieces to ensure its protection.
Support this project
- (31 days)