Unofficial encyclopedia of the NES classic Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! to celebrate its 25th anniversary. Read more
Funding for this project was canceled by the project creator on October 2, 2012.
Funding Cancellation Pending
After a lot of consideration and discussion with everyone involved with the book (e.g. editors, Matt Turk, Sinister1), I've decided not to take your money...yet! Whilst disappointing it is the best and most rational decision and we ask for your understanding.
The main reasons for doing this are:
- Too many unknowns: Nintendo are slow to respond, nothing from Tyson, and Pix'n Love Publishing is still a possibility. I chose a tight deadline because it was the actual anniversary of the book and I stick by that decision.
- Legal advice: Still in conversation with a copyright lawyer on my options and liabilities should I not hear back from Nintendo at all (e.g. unofficial, free digital version).
- Book costs: If the quality of China printing is good enough (has not yet arrived), it could mean significantly cheaper books and the possibility of a softcover version. It's easier to take new payments than try and adjust existing Kickstarter pledges.
- No risk: I will still pursue permission for the next 3 months as promised. If successful, the Kickstarter backers will be given first opportunity to get the book.
- Refunds: If unsuccessful in 3 months, I don't have to waste my time (especially) and money issuing refunds.
- Page lives on: The Kickstarter page will continue to exist and will allow me to post updates.
- Kickstarter is not a store: I was pretty naive when creating the project and in hindsight would have done things a bit differently. The last thing Kickstarter needs is another project that "failed to deliver to expectation."
Whilst it's unfortunate the project will continue outside of Kickstarter (as they have provided amazing publicity, marketing and opportunities while proving there is a market for the book), it has introduced a number of new people who may back other projects.
I will leave the Kickstarter running as long as possible to collect any last-minute backers then send a private post to collect your email addresses so I can contact you if/when the book becomes available. Keep an eye on the blog for constant updates.
Thanks to everyone who pledged as it was an amazing and rewarding experience to reach the funding goal. If I was allowed (i.e. not liable) to give you all a free digital copy, I absolutely would. This may change in the future!