Cycle Across Kanto
Cycle Across Kanto
Feature-length documentary taking the first-ever cinematic journey through the real-life world of Pokémon.
Feature-length documentary taking the first-ever cinematic journey through the real-life world of Pokémon. Read more
A 40-day, feature-length documentary taking the first-ever cinematic journey through the real-life world of Pokémon. Every game in the main series of the Pokémon franchise has a fictional land for you to explore, and every one of these adventurous areas were inspired by locations here on Earth. The first Pokémon games (titled Red/Green/Blue/Yellow) took place in a region called Kanto, a place nearly identical to the south-eastern Kanto region of Japan. We want to be the first to take an in-depth look into how these forests, mountains, and towns inspired the layouts of the games we've come to love. We’re a group of cinematographers, animators, and storytellers and we want to take you on this adventure. Not just a tour from location to location, but a real, documented, down-and-dirty, month-long adventure biking down every route to every city, to learn about each of their individual histories, to talk with their people, and to share this experience with everyone. We'd like for seasoned Pokémon fans to rediscover their childhood in a way unlike any other. Let’s take a cinematic journey through the real-life world of Pokémon. Let's 'Cycle Across Kanto'!
Our team has over 35 combined years of experience in television and commercial production, and we know what a project of this caliber costs. Video is expensive to produce correctly, especially one that involves 40 days of travel by bicycle. That’s a lot of calories, hotel rooms, equipment, bike repairs, and so on. Here’s what our budget looks like:
Produced by Gravity Dog Productions in collaboration with Good Blood. Gravity Dog Productions is Nick Solorzano, Stephen Aymond, Ahmad Evans, and Mai Gozu. Good Blood is the amazingly talented Javed Sterritt and Jonny Higgins. Joining us is the current narrator of the Pokémon series, Mike Pollock.
As experienced filmmakers, adventurers, and cyclists, you'll be hard pressed to find a team more equipped than ours to take on this challenge. From trading cards and comics to the toys and animated series, we’ve loved Pokémon from its beginning. No one wants more than us to rediscover the world of their childhood.
We're overestimating a delivery date to backers-only on October 2018. The rest of the world will have to wait until early 2019.
January 22nd to March 6th of 2018 will be spent in pre-production mode (researching, scheduling, writing, making travel arrangements, and figuring out the insurance details).
The production itself (filming) will take 40 days from March 8th to April 17th.
Post-production (editing, graphics, animation, audio mixing, and music) will take the remainder of that time until October. Kickstarter rewards will be sent out through these last few months as well.
After the film's release to backers, we'll spend the next few months showcasing it at film festivals and then releasing it to the public shortly after in early 2019.
- Backer Credit
- Priority Access Digital Download
- Original Soundtrack Digital Download
- Film Poster Digital Download
- T-Shirt (limited)
- Priority Access Director's Cut Digital Download
- Physical Film Poster (limited)
- Physical Kanto Map Comparison Poster (limited)
- Daily 20-minute Google Hangout During the 40-Day Journey
- Write a line of dialogue (very limited)
- Very Limited Edition Blu-Ray w/ Scenes You'll Find Nowhere Else
- Executive Producer Credit
- THE Production Book (Only ONE! That's as limited as it gets!)
- $148k - Translated subtitles for Traditional Chinese (正體字/繁體字), Spanish (Español), Hindi (हिंदी), Arabic (عربى), French (Français), Bengali (bɛŋˈɡɔ), Portuguese (Português), Russian (ру́сский язы́к), German (Deutsch), Japanese (日本語), and Korean (한국어). ...Did we spell any of those wrong? We're not sure! That's why we need translators!
- $168k - SEVII ISLANDS! We'll increase our itinerary by 11 days to capture the 11 islands that inspired the extra Sevii Islands content found in Pokémon Fire Red and Leaf Green!
- $340k - JOHTO! After the Kanto doc wraps up, we'll start work on the next region of the Pokémon games, taking place in the Chubu and Kinki regions of Japan.
Risks and challenges
Anything can happen during our 6 to 8 months of production, but we know how to protect ourselves. Yes, accidents to equipment and to the crew can happen, but that’s what we have several insurances for. Losing footage is also an available risk, so we're backing up all footage onto 28 terabytes of robust raided hard drives ON SITE as well as sticking all files online at the end of each day.
The biggest risk we run: Making a documentary INSPIRED BY copyrighted material. HOWEVER, we intend to keep this film running strong under the protection of Fair Use, quite easily. A fair use is any copying of copyrighted material made for a limited and “transformative” purpose, such as to COMMENT UPON, criticize, or parody a copyrighted work. Our documentary wishes to comment upon the Pokemon universe, not to use it for gain, tarnish its name, or seize its profits. Our approach is rather simple:
1) Unlike our campaign video, we will restrict our references of Pokemon and Nintendo related intellectual properties to VERBAL references ONLY in the finished piece (no showing of logos, characters, official art, copyrighted music, etc.).
2) We won't sell any product that has copyrighted material in it. We will release this film FOR FREE. We use the funds FULLY to support this project so that we are not to net a profit from its success. We'll release this film for free to festivals, online, and early to backers. Which brings us to our third point.
3) Running a Kickstarter campaign itself. Some backers back-out from backing a project. "Back up. What?" Yup. Some big contributors will deny or reverse their charges after a campaign is reached. If this causes us to go under budget, we might have to get creative and cut some corners.
We have the experience and we're well prepared for the possible dangers that lie out there in the grass and caves, including Team Rocket.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (45 days)