About this project
This is a campaign is to raise funds to print and produce the new Morbid Anatomy Anthology, a lavishly-llustrated book comprising a collection of articles based on some of the best of the Morbid Anatomy Presents lectures and presentation series.
Topics covered will include anthropodermic bibliopegy (ie. books bound in human skin), 19th Century Diableries, collections of preserved human tattoos, death themed 19th century Parisian cabarets, extreme taxidermy, popular wax anatomical models, collecting death, the Anatomical Venus, Santa Muerte and Death in Mexico, Terror Management Theory, l'Inconnue de la Seine, "artist of death" Frederik Ruysch, macabre collections, and much, much more.
The rogue scholars, artists, writers, museologists, morticians and scientists whose works will fill this volume will include (in no particular order):
- Evan Michelson, star of TV’s "Oddities" and Morbid Anatomy Library Scholar in Residence
- Mark Dery, cultural critic and author of the upcoming The Doubtful Guest: The Mysterious Mind and Legendary Life of Edward Gorey
- David Pescovitz, Boing Boing
- Paul Koudounaris, author/photographer of Empire of Death
- Stephen Asma, author of Stuffed Animals and Pickled Heads
- Simon Chaplin, Head of The Wellcome Library
- Caitlin Doughty, founder of "Order of the Good Death"
- Carl Schoonover, author of Portraits of the Mind
- Mel Gordon, author of The Grand Guignol
- Kate Forde, curator at The Wellcome Collection
- Pat Morris, author of Walter Potter and His Museum of Curious Taxidermy
- Elizabeth Bradley, author of Knickerbocker: The Myth behind New York
- Amy Herzog, professor of Professor of Media Studies at Queens College
- Richard Faulk, author of Gross America
- Richard Harris, "collector of death"
- Writer Amber Jolliffe on Anthropomorphic Mouse Taxidermy Class teacher Sue Jeiven
- Ronni Thomas, creator of "The Midnight Archive"
- John Troyer, deputy director of the Centre for Death and Society at the University of Bath
- Artist Zoe Bellof
- Photographer Shannon Taggart
- Mark Pilkington of Strange Attractor Press
- Dániel Margócsy, professor of early modern history at Hunter College
- Scholar Salvador Olguin
- Gemma Angel, Academic, writer, tattooist
- Bookmaker Daniel Smith
- Vadim Kosmos of The Last Tuesday Society
- Michelle Legro of Lapham's Quarterly
- Ross MacFarlane of The Wellcome Library
- Mike Johns, Social Psychologist
- Joanna Ebenstein of Morbid Anatomy
- Colin Dickey, author of Cranioklepty and Afterlives of the Saints
To see an image of the Morbid Anatomy Tote Bag, click here. And extra special thanks to the über-talented Ronni Thomas, creator of "The Midnight Archive," for the wonderful video you see above.
Risks and challenges
Joanna has years of book design and layout experience, and Colin has ample editing experience, so we're well placed to produce a beautiful, substantial body of work. The fact that we've lined up so many great writers testifies to the potential of this project. Our main challenge will be finding and working with a printer that can ensure a great-looking finished product. Obviously, the more backers we get, the better chances of producing a stellar finished book.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (45 days)