Feltboard - the wireless smartphone charging pad (Canceled)
Feltboard - the wireless smartphone charging pad (Canceled)
A Qi-compatible charger designed and crafted in Germany. You´ll never leave home with an uncharged Android™ or iPhone® device again.
A Qi-compatible charger designed and crafted in Germany. You´ll never leave home with an uncharged Android™ or iPhone® device again. Read more
After having created an efficient tool to keep your smartphone battery charged en route with the USB ChargeDoubler from our first Kickstarter-campaign, we are now daring to turn our focus towards one of the most important places in your lives - your homes.
The Feltboard - a Qi-compatible wireless charging pad – will change the way of charging your smartphone in your living space.
Just put your phone on the Feltboard and the charging process begins immediately. Got a message or a call, just pick it up. No connectors to unlock, no cable mess. Place your device where ever you like. In the corridor, living room, on the desktop or your nightstand. You will see, you never leave home with an uncharged phone again.
Since it is your home we are talking about, we went away from futuristic glowing led aesthetics towards a generous and timeless appeal. Influenced by contemporary trends the Feltboard blends in perfectly with almost every interior. Though we have had the essential idea earlier this year, we have never created with felt before. So we are more than happy having engaged “filz:stueck“, a well-known tailor shop for felt- and leather design in Munich. filz:stueck has an excellent reputation creating high quality design pieces with felt. After a six month cooperation we can definitely confirm it is a reputation well-earned – thank you filz:stueck team! You´re awesome.
Is your phone compatible...
... to be charged wirelessly? Yes, it is.
In many cases the newer generations of smartphones already come with the capability of wireless charging built-in. If your phone doesn’t feature the built-in wireless charging interface, no need for despair, you can easily upgrade your phone with an inexpensive accessory!
(Please have a look at the compatibility information at the page bottom.)
Availibility and colours
The Feltboard charges every Qi-compatible device and will be available in following colours (front/back) for you:
chocolate/nature, graphite/graphite, hazelnut/hazelnut, sky/hazelnut, ocean/hazelnut, orange/hazelnut, lime/graphite and pink/nature. Select your fave colour(s) after the campaign´s end! We will contact you with a survey concerning all details.
Sincere craftsmanship! As we have learned from our first campaign, a nearby production is help- and also more joyful. The closer we are located to production, the more often we have the chance to take a look at the progress and see our idea taking shape. With the Feltboard not only the design comes from our hometown, but also all significant parts of production - the tailoring - and all parts, except of the electronics, are made in Germany. Some filz:stueck workshop pics below:
Resources and Sustainability.
Besides its sophisticated appeal, the Feltboard´s cover of pure Merino woolfelt and cotton yarn reduces the use of plastics by over 70 percent.The inside charging circuit board strictly meets RoHS, CE and FCC certifications and reduces harmful substances. Furthermore the woolfelt and cotton yarn are Oeko-Tex certified and 100% natural.
Wireless charging basics.
Wireless Charging literally is what it sounds like - a method to charge a phone or another electronic device without using any wire. And it is as simple as it looks. Just place your device on top of the charging board and let the power flow.
Sounds like magic, right? Well, it’s not, and since we are no magicians, we will tell you the trick: Technically, the charging current is transported through the air via electromagnetic induction. The small inductive field inside the Feltboard just radiates about 7mm into its surroundings and therefore presents no health risks. When placed on the Feltboard your phone will automatically detect the wireless power source available and will start drawing from it. You can pick up your phone anytime during charging, the connection will be disabled and charging stops immediately. No more electricity is consumed. In case you leave your phone on the Feltboard to be fully charged, charging will stop as soon as your device is fully loaded and no more electricity is consumed.
If not already built-in, phones can be upgraded easily with a Qi-receiver. Receivers are available as slim foil to be inserted into your device entirely invisibly, as backcover or as case or bumper. You will already know about the capabilities of your phone, but just have a look here for an overview of Qi-compatible smartphones (excerpt).
• Samsung S6 / wireless charging receiver already built-in
• Samsung S6 edge plus / wireless charging receiver already built-in
• Samsung S6 edge / wireless charging receiver already built-in
• Samsung S5 / wireless charging receiver cover or receiver module
• Samsung note 5 / wireless charging receiver already built-in
• Samsung note 4 / wireless charging receiver cover or receiver module
• Samsung note edge / wireless charging receiver cover or receiver module
• Apple iPhone 6/6s / wireless charging receiver back case or receiver module
• Apple iPhone 6 plus / wireless charging receiver back case or receiver module
• Apple iPhone 5/5s / wireless charging receiver back case or receiver module
• Apple iPhone 4/4s / wireless charging receiver back case or receiver module
• Lumia 930 / wireless charging receiver already built-in
• Lumia 925 / wireless charging receiver already built-in
• Lumia 830 / wireless charging receiver already built-in
• Lumia 735 / wireless charging receiver already built-in
• LG G4 / wireless charging receiver cover or receiver module
• LG G2 & G3 / wireless charging receiver already built-in
• Google Nexus 4, 5, 6 / wireless charging receiver already built-in
• HTC One M7, M8, M9 / wireless charging receiver back case or receiver module
• Sony Xperia series / wireless charging receiver back case or receiver module
To see how easy your device can be upgraded to wireless charging just type your phone´s name and "qi" into Google, Amazon or Ebay. You will see... Unsure? Drop us a line and we will help.
Why do we need your support for this project?
The Feltboards electrical heart is a custom made charging circuit board which will be manufactured meeting our specifications. For this board and the German made Merino wool felt we have to meet minimum order quantities. So to make the Feltboard a viable product, we have to raise funds for these initial costs. Now we need your support. Please help us a to spread the word!
You will receive for your contribution:
• Qi standard compatible wireless charging board
• cover of pure Merino woolfelt, Oeko-Tex certified
• cotton yarn, Oeko-Tex certified
• measurements: (approx.): 7.5x5.2 inch / 19x13 cm
• 1.5m braided cable with USB connector
• input: DC 5V / min. 1.5A (2.0A recommended) from USB charger (charger not included)
• circuit board RoHS, CE and FCC certified / meets WPC 1.1 A11 criteria
• output: 5W (Feltboard is a wireless charging transmitter, additional accessory may be needed.)
You can run the Feltboard with every usual smartphone USB charger with min. 1.5A (2.0A recommended). Lots of you already own one, so we do not include the charger itself.
Fullfilment & shipping
For this campaign´s fullfilment we have chosen the time frame particularly careful, because the Feltboard is offered in different variants, which requires a lot of effort and extra time in production planning and manufacturing.
• beginning November: end of campaign
• till end of November: receiving funds and surveying backers for item variants
• till end of December: production of custom charging circuit boards in Far East and fabrication of the wool felt raw material
• till end of February: tailoring, assembly & quality check of the boards
• beginning March: packaging and contributors shipment
Estimated world-wide delivery is March 2016.
As experience has shown, valuable goods often get lost or broken when shipped untracked and without insurance. For this reason we decided to offer our pledges including insurance and a basic tracking. We intend to ship with Germans largest forwarder Deutsche Post as international letter to self costs.
Thanks for taking the time to look at our project. We really appreciate your support! If you should have any further question, don´t hesitate to contact us.
Kai & Jorg
Copyright notice: Qi is a registered trademark of the The Wireless Power Consortium. Apple and iPhone are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and in other countries. Android is a trademark of Google Inc. Windows Phone is either a registered trademark or trademark of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries.
Risks and challenges
For this campaign´s fullfilment we have chosen the time frame particularly careful, because the Feltboard is offered in different variants, which requires a lot of effort and extra time in production planning and manufacturing. As soon as our campaign is successfully funded, we are going to make sure everything is happening according to our plan. The supply chain, manufacturing, operations and logistics are set up and ready to go. Although we do not see any direct risks or challenges, we know that always be unforeseen tasks that may present itself during the process of production or before. We are committed to do everything in our power to deliver your Feltboard cable on time and keep you informed about all processes.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (37 days)