About this project
Carolina Alvo was inspired by a very personal frustration. Carolina is a true Petite; she is 4’9” and has never had a shopping experience that wasn’t teeming with frustration.
She’s seen it all: the pant leg so long she could have made a whole new pair with the excess fabric, the shirt that could be worn as a dress, the V-neck top that would have gotten her arrested for indecent exposure if worn in public. She decided that if no one was making the clothes that she needed, she was going to take matters into her own hands and make them herself. And Carolina Alvo was born.
Half the female population in the United States is Petite (5'4" & under), yet shopping as a Petite woman is a complete nightmare; clothing options are extremely limited, unfashionable, ill-fitting and more often than not require a trip to the tailor for much-needed adjustments. Shopping doesn't have to be this way, especially when there are so many of us out there.
Why We're Different
Carolina Alvo wants to change the way Petite women shop. Here's how:
1. Made by a Petite for Petites - The Petite offerings available today tend to be off-shoots of major retailers who don't specialize in perfecting the Petite fit. Carolina Alvo was founded by a Petite who faced these shopping challenges first hand; therefore everything the brand does is done with the Petite woman's fit and style needs in mind.
2. Designed in true Petite Proportions - Petite sizing isn't just about shortening the piece. A true Petite design is an adjustment in proportion -- from the armhole size to the vertical torso measurement to the waist placement. To ensure optimal fit, we fit our design on a Petite fit model and made meticulous adjustments until the fit was perfect.
3. Multiple hem lengths - A woman is Petite if she is 5'4" and under. Yet someone who is 4'10" needs a very different hem length from someone who is 5'3". Therefore we're offering two distinct hem lengths - one for those 5'1" and above, and one for those below 5'1". Now you can finally get the length that's right for you straight out of the box!
4. Made in NYC - We were founded in New York, our clothes were designed in New York and we're proud to manufacture our clothes in New York. Not only does it allow us to support our local community, but we're able to build close relationships with our suppliers and ensure better quality control.
5. Helping little women of a different kind - Carolina Alvo was founded on the belief that businesses can play a big role in helping solve major social problems. That’s why Carolina Alvo gives 1% of their profits to Girl Rising, a global action campaign for girls’ education that drives donations to programs that help girls get in and stay in school.
6. Petite is Powerful - A common complaint among Petites is that they feel like they are not taken seriously because of their size, particularly in the workplace. Carolina Alvo, whose mantra is “Petite is Powerful”, wants to help change this perception by creating a platform for Petite woman empowerment. For starters, we're naming each piece after a Petite woman we admire, starting with our Kathleen Dress, named after an inspiring Petite venture capitalist.
Behind the Dress
Feel free to call this your LED, or "little everything dress." It's the perfect dress from work to weekend and everywhere in between. Look fierce in the boardroom and then switch up the accessories for a night out.
You’ve probably noticed that clothing sizes vary widely from designer to designer – sometimes you’re a size 2, sometimes you’re a 6 – it’s so confusing! Unfortunately there are no strict sizing standards in the fashion industry, which is why we're providing a detailed and transparent size guide.
To ensure you order the right size, we highly recommend you take your measurement. Don't know your measurements? Check out our quick step-by-step measurement guide here.
Here's what you need to know about our fabric:
- Our high-quality fabric is made in Japan
- The fabric content is 65% Modal, 35% Cotton, 5% Stretch
- The twill fabric has 2-way stretch and a slight sheen
- Care Instructions: Dry Clean Only. Light Iron if Needed.
- We are offering two color options, Black Onyx and Ivory
- Color selection will be done at the end of the campaign
Pick Your Hem Length
Our dress will be available in two different hem lengths to accommodate petites of all statures. There's a big difference between someone who is 5'4" and someone who is 4'9" and we want to make sure you get the right fit straight out of the box. We'll provide two lengths, measured from shoulder to hem:
1. Option A: 32.5in (5'4"-5'1")
2. Option B: 31in for (5'1" & below)
Hem selection will be done at the end of the campaign.
Use of Funds
After months of designing, fitting and tweaking our dress we are ready to bring our amazing Kathleen Dress to the market. This funding will be used to source fabric from Japan and complete our first production run.
In return for your support, we are offering a number of rewards - from our Petite pride t-shirts to the dress itself. Our dress is being offered at a Kickstarter-exclusive price, which is 20% off our normal retail price. Only our Kickstarter supporters will get access to these discounts.
Every little bit counts, and we are eternally grateful for your support in helping this little dream come true.
Risks and challenges
Delays and unforeseen obstacles are always possible. However, we feel we have prepared ourselves adequately to mitigate these risks:
1. We have partnered with an experienced business consulting and production management company with over 20 years experience working with factories in New York City.
2. Making our product in New York City allows us to work directly with the factory and check in every step of the way. We have already produced samples with these factories and can attest to their quality.
3. We have already established a relationship with our fabric supplier and can source the fabric as soon as the project is funded.
We promise to be super communicative throughout the campaign and the manufacturing process. Should anything go wrong and the project is delayed, our community of supporters will be the first to know.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (29 days)