Linux Demo and Achievements Update
Hi everyone! Jason here again. I have some cool news to share, but before I get into that, I wanted to give folks a preview of some things coming next week:
- PayPal donations are getting set up and should come online early next week.
- We’re going to get more active on Twitch in the upcoming weeks for some neato dev streams.
- Another patch is being worked on for the pre-alpha demo which should help performance and crash issues
And now onto the meat of this update!
Due to popular demand, we’ve put some time into getting the Linux version of the pre-alpha demo ready for all of you (well, the Linux users out there). We’re doing this before we hit the stretch goal for Linux as a gesture of good faith, but please understand that the Linux demo does not guarantee a Linux version of the final game unless we hit the stretch goal. It took quite a bit of time to get it all working on Linux, as well as a bit of internal testing. Launching on other platforms takes time to adequately support and deploy, which is why the stretch goal is vital.
You can download the Linux demo via Steam, but you’ll need to install the audio library separately as per these instructions from Audio Kinetic's site.
Note: The Wwise Unity Integration for Linux needs libSDL2 installed on the machine to work. Without this, a "DLLNotFoundException" message is displayed when launching the game. To install libSDL2 for Ubuntu 12.04, do the following:
- sudo apt-get install build-essential libasound2-dev
- wget http://www.libsdl.org/release/SDL2-2.0.3.tar.gz
- tar -zxvf SDL2-2.0.3.tar.gz
- cd SDL2-2.0.3
- sudo make install
- sudo ldconfig
Note: The requirements may vary depending on the machine's configuration. Refer to libsdl.org for installation instructions on other setups.
That brings the Mission Points from 5 up to 8, which unlocks:
- Closed Beta given to all tiers $50 and above.
- Gender choice added for player.
Also, a few days ago, we noticed that the achievements list wasn’t the correct one. It was using the ordering from an old draft of ours before we balanced the point system. The order you see now is the correct… and it was pretttty hilarious when Jonathan saw the tattoo goal so high on the list (spoilers, he’s the tattoo volunteer :-p )
- Jason Fader, Project Director