What is Beasts of Bermuda?
Beasts of Bermuda is a multiplayer game hosting large servers in which the player is a dinosaur or other prehistoric creature. The player becomes part of a living, player-created ecosystem. The ultimate objective is to survive on one of the islands within Bermuda, an enigmatic island chain constantly threatened by fierce storms, consumed by vicious forest fires, and haunted by ancient beasts.
If you'd like to play a demo of our game, you can do so by downloading here. This demo allows play of Mosasaurus, Apatosaurus, and Ichthyovenator, and does not have multiplayer enabled. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8zVT4_xAdVZdUN4Y2cycWRlWk0/view?usp=sharing
If you'd like to pledge on PayPal, the reward tiers are the same. Pledge to email@example.com and leave a comment of your pledge here!
If you'd like to read a lot more about our game and view its Wiki on gameplay, visit http://beastsofbermuda.com/
If you'd like to join our community Discord, here's an invite! This is the best way to get into contact with us or see what's going on with Beasts of Bermuda's development. https://discord.gg/PQ5fPNn
If you are a YouTuber or Streamer and you are interested in helping us promote Beasts of Bermuda and its Kickstarter, send me a message through any method you see on this page (Discord is best, message any developer or moderator in the discord). A great way to support Beasts of Bermuda is helping us get our name out there to the public.
Backed by YouTubers:
- Dinosaur Simulator - Beasts of Bermuda https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9IdG1Loqxo
- Beasts of Bermuda - NEW SCENT SYSTEM UPDATE, T REX PREVIEW & SURVIVAL AS THE UTAH! - Gameplay https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUNP1ENmwI8
- Beasts of Bermuda - PTERANODON SKY WARS, MOSA GRABS ACRO DRAGGING IT TO THE OCEAN FLOOR - Gameplay https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp7aD_jt9Tc
- Beasts of Bermuda - EPIC MOSA RIPS DINOSAURS FROM LAND, NEW DINOSAUR SURVIVAL GAME! - Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4deMQHGdX
- Beasts of Bermuda - SKY HUNTING! DEEP SEA DINOSAURS! - (2) Beasts of Bermuda Gameplay https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxwL7cWZ5Cs
- Beasts of Bermuda – INSANE New Dinosaur Survival Game! – Beasts of Bermuda Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aGVxSUKnik
- SpartanGamer: Beasts of Bermuda - Novo Jogo De Dinossauros, Perigos Na Ilha! | (#1) (Gameplay/PT-BR) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWwtE7dDGRs
- BEERWAR: Apatosaurus vs Megalosaurus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rixleVyVXg
- BushzillaMLG: Beasts of Bermuda on Kickstarter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4ShqQCRVs0
- SpookiPlays: Beasts of Bermuda: Don't Trust that Water, New Game! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3w9mJToFPM
What is the Objective in Beasts of Bermuda?
We currently only have one mode of play in Beasts of Bermuda, given it's early on in its development. We would like to include several modes of play.
- Free Roam, currently in-game, allows the player to choose a creature of their choice. Death grants no consequence and the game has no limitations.
- Realism game mode, allows server operators to set species limits for all creatures individually to create natural and realistically populated ecosystems.
- Life-cycle based leveling in which the player starts as a juvenile of any species they wish and continues to grow, becoming more powerful over time.
- Merit-based system in which the player earns the right to play increasingly powerful creatures. Access to more powerful creatures is based both off health and duration of survival.
- Combat-based system in which a player must successfully hunt and kill other players in order to gain the right to play larger and more powerful creatures.
Where is Beasts of Bermuda in its Development?
Beasts of Bermuda began development on January 16th, 2017. Currently, the game offers a fully functional, multiplayer game world with many survival mechanics, combat / hunting mechanics, and map-based survival elements already in place. Future development will likely focus on expanding our playable creature roster and coding game mechanics for more niches, improving the quality of our graphics, maps, models, and general assets, and then implementing additional game modes beyond Free Roam.
What is Unique about Beasts of Bermuda?
Beasts of Bermuda offers the experience of playing in unique niches as aquatic, flight-based, or terrestrial creatures. Piscivores offer a different lifestyle to traditional carnivores, the creatures of which are often very adept at swimming and also quite capable on land. We would like to continue development and improvement of this variety.
A unique resource in the form of comfort offers a totally new way to design mechanics and shape gameplay. Carnivores in close proximity to herbivores will stress each other out, resulting in various gameplay disadvantages or even death should the stress become extreme. Carnivores are only comforted by their own kind, becoming stressed in the prolonged presence of different species. Map elements, in particular storms and massive storm surges, will also cause stress. Maintaining a low level of stress (high comfort) is a major aspect of survival in Beasts of Bermuda.
It also offers unique map elements. Whether you're exploring a cave while taking shelter from a storm, watching the tide drop to safely cross to a new island, or migrating to avoid a forest fire or depleted watering hole, the map is always changing and the world is alive.
The playable creatures in Beasts of Bermuda all have unique abilities that differentiate them from others. Some can grab, others can pounce and latch. Some can sense a weak opponent or warn a herd of a lurking predator, and others can climb to escape danger. Every animal is different in Beasts of Bermuda, very much so, and a lot of effort has been put in to ensure every creature added fulfills a unique niche.
We also offer a fully customize able skin system that allows each player to design their animal to look how they want it to look. Once we can afford better models, 3D customizations will be activated, for extra feathers or a crest, for instance! This one was a real challenge to code, and requires unique design from artists to get right. One of the things we wish to do with our Kickstarter funding is to commission a professional artist to really bring out the most in this system.
Beasts of Bermuda needs funds to commission and contract professionals for services related to modeling, animating, sound creation, skin design, level design, and overall artistic improvements. Up to this point, the game has been created by two indie developers focused on the coding behind the game's world with a few greatly appreciated freelance contributions from friends. The majority of models are from stock asset stores and that we want replace with custom models made by 3D artists. To bring Beasts of Bermuda to the next stage of development, funding for outside contractors is required.
We’ve come to Kickstarter to not just seek support in funding these artistic improvements but also to enable the core coding team to continue building onto the world and unlock new forms of expression and gameplay. Fundamentally though, we want to share the game we love with a community who love it back. And YOU are that community! We’ve been transparent in our goals and current stage of development and want to invite you to join us in this endeavor. Be a part of the Beasts of Bermuda community.
The vast majority of these figures have been estimated based on the costs we expect to be paying for animations, models, sounds, and skins for our animals. We have spoken to the artists interested in doing our animations, sounds, models, and skins, and estimate the price tag on each creature model to be $3,000.
$35,000 - The Base Goal
- 12 new animated models for Beasts of Bermuda, including Apatosaurus, Pachycephalosaurus, Parasaurolophus, Mosasaurus, Elasmosaurus, Ichthyovenator, Tyrannosaurus, Megalosaurus, Acrocanthosaurus, Velociraptor, Utahraptor, and Pteranodon.
- Necessary sound effects for these animals, and sounds for other miscellaneous game mechanics such as footsteps and UI.
- 3-4 professionally done skins for each of these animals
- 1 official map, complete with temples, caves, and dungeons
- Stable and functional multiplayer with dedicated servers for players to join
- 1 game mode, Free Roam.
$50,000 - The Aquatics Stretch Goal
- Additional models for Beasts of Bermuda, complete with animations, sounds, and skins, to enrich our underwater ecosystem. This will likely include a crocodilian such as Deinosuchus or Sarcosuchus and the semiaquatic hadrosaur Lurdusaurus for eating our seaweed and kelp. It also likely may include members of Ichthyosauria or Pliosauria.
- 1 new map that is specifically designed for aquatic gameplay. It will be mostly water, and play of terrestrial creatures will be prohibited on this map.
- 1 new game mode, Realism mode, that allows server hosts full control of species counts and ratios on the map.
- Playable Critters! Play as an Ammonite, a Mesozoic Lizard, or other creatures such as a teeny Microraptor. We'll have a community brainstorming session to come up with everyone's favorite critters and implement them into the game. They'll be secret on the map, and some exploring may be required to find out how to play as these animals.
- More Herbivores for Beasts of Bermuda, complete with animations, sounds, and skins. We know our herby roster is lacking, and we will address this here. Likely candidates are Gallimimus, Anatosaurus, and representatives of other groups such as Ceratopsians, Ankylosaurians, or Stegosaurians.
- 1 new game mode: Merit-based game mode, in which the player earns the privilege of playing increasingly powerful creatures by surviving on Bermuda.
- 1 additional official map for play, grasslands!
- Phew, we need a break. After all that, the developers haven't yet even added their favorite creatures to the game! Help us unlock our favorites, Thallossodromeus and Carnotaurus.
- 1 additional game mode, Combat-Based system in which a player must successfully hunt and kill other players in order to gain the right to play larger and more powerful creatures.
- 1 additional map, the desert map. Oases dot the landscape, separated by immense stretches of sand.
- This is our ultimate dream goal. The islands of Bermuda do not just harbor beasts from the past, but also an un-contacted, primitive human civilization. If you'd like to see us reach for the starts as high as we can, keep pushing us towards this goal and we'll keep on going.
- Inventory system with gathering and crafting involved.
- Base building with gathered, raw materials from the surrounding environment.
- Hunt or befriend the bestial inhabitants of Bermuda, as player-creature taming and mounted combat with bows and spears on the back of your player-dino ally.
Note: Some creatures may be changed given how our ecosystem evolves. These are examples of the ecosystem we want to create, and the exact animals that end up in-game are not set in stone until they've been modeled. If a certain creature has problems or other issues arise, we may have to do different creatures per tier but will do our best to execute the next phase as close as possible to this road-map.
- Feathered Tyrannosaurus Rex Concept
- Favorite Prehistoric Animal Drawing
Connisaur will be drawing prehistoric creatures for backers of this reward tier! She is able to do both line art and watercolor artwork of any prehistoric creature of your choice, and you'll receive two versions. The first version will be signed "Thank you for Supporting Beasts of Bermuda!," with our game logo and the second will not so you have both just in case.
- Flappy Fish
I've always been a gamer who loves secrets. There are many secrets in Beasts of Bermuda. If you wish to know how to become a secret fish, I shall tell you! I'll tell you this much now, you don't become a fish by selecting it on the dinosaur selection screen.
- Velvet Velociraptor
This reward tier is the first reward tier that includes access to a couple backer-only skins. Backers that pledge to Velvet Velociraptor or higher will receive a backer only Tyrannosaurus Rex feathered skin and model. We're currently having this modeled, and will be able to show it soon in an update.
We are also awarding anyone who backs Velvet Velociraptor or higher a backer-only Velociraptor skin!
Have you ever played a game and wondered what it looked like before? I'm not referring to sequels, prequels, or remakes. I mean, take your favorite game and think about this. It started somewhere, as something small, something that looks a lot different than now. What was the first line of code for your favorite game? What did the first build look like? We will show you the build I consider most sentimental: first multiplayer contact. The game was less than two months old and for the first time, our community was able to play together instead of in single player. All Velvet Velociraptors will receive a digital copy of the very first multiplayer-functional build of our game, then called Paleo Playground.
- Potent Pachycephalosaurus
As a Potent Pachycephalosaurus, you will receive the game when we launch onto Steam along with the legacy version! Save $6.00 by pre-ordering the game!
- Itchy Ichthyovenator
As an Itchy Ichthyovenator, you'll be able to see your name in the credits for our game! You'll also receive several backer exclusive skins, including all previous tier skins, an Icthyovenator skin, and our feathered tyrannosaurus skin! The credits will be viewable from a button on the front page. You'll be able to choose whether your real name or your gamer tag shows up there, or both if you like. These will also be categorical, so all Itchy Ichthyovenators will be together, and all categories onwards will be as well. You'll also be assigned a special rank in our community discord distinguishing you as a Ichthy Ichthyovenator donor.
- Unstoppable Utahraptor
Beasts of Bermuda has a history behind it. While our game has been going through development, we've had countless development builds. I've never been in this alone, and we've had friends play our builds with us since the very beginning of our very first multiplayer contact, and a lot of screenshots have been taken across the game in time. I will be creating a montage of screenshots through the history of Beasts of Bermuda's development and forming it into a nice digital album. You'll also be assigned a special rank in our community discord distinguishing you as a Unstoppable Utahraptor donor.
- Mighty Megalosaurus
Would you like to become a member of the Beasts of Bermuda pre-alpha team? Get Early Access. As a Mighty Megalosaurus, you'll have access to our inner development. You'll get to test our builds with us and play the game with the developers as it continues building further and further. You'll get access to a special chat channel in our Discord that is just for people who are helping test and develop the game. You'll also be assigned a special rank in our community discord distinguishing you as a Mighty Megalosaurus donor.
- Accredited Acrocanthosaurus
I really wanted to create a tier that had a physical object people could buy, hang onto, and treasure, but I've never been one for swag so I wanted to create something that would be truly meaningful for our most serious backers.
If you are passionate enough for our game, Beasts of Bermuda, to donate 120 dollars to our project, then I want to share with you the passion I have for this game as well.
This book is something I am writing that goes through all of my experiences, thoughts, and struggles as an aspiring game developer. Every step of this road I'm traveling has been a journey, and I think the story of that journey is worth telling. It starts from the very first day on January 16th, 2017, when I became inspired by seeing a friend of mine install the Unreal Engine. It looked so amazing I just had to try it myself too. It will end right up to the point when our Kickstarter is over; present day. At that time, I will write the last few pages on my experiences in Kickstarter, get the books printed on nice glossy paper with lots of screenshots and pictures, and mail them out to everyone!
This includes the reward for being an Unstoppable Utahraptor, except in printed form as part of the book.
You'll also be assigned a special rank in our community discord distinguishing you as a Accredited Acrocanthosaurus donor.
- Menacing Mosasaurus
Do you see a particular animal in Beasts of Bermuda that you'd like to see have a special skin?
Beasts of Bermuda has a unique skin customization system that allows one to change the colors of the pattern on a skin. If desired, we can have created a skin that patterns like the one you'd like to see done, but with infinite coloration possibilities. Fixed skins that do not customize, however, are also possible. If you'd like a fixed skin done instead of one that can be customized, this is possible as well.
We are willing to work with you to help you design the skin you wish to see, even if you're like me and have no art capabilities.
You'll also be assigned a special rank in our community discord distinguishing you as a Menacing Mosasaurus donor.
- Tremendous Tyrannosaurus Rex
You'll also get every reward prior to this tier, and a really cool feathered rex skin that's exclusive to the Tremendous Tyrannosaurus rank.
- Amazing Apatosaurus
What if you could have us add your favorite Dinosaur, or your favorite Pterosaur, or even your favorite member of Ichthyosauria to our game? Well, if you have a creature you'd absolutely love to see added above all else and want to sponsor it, this reward is definitely for you! The cost of this tier what it would cost us to have one creature modeled, animated, skinned, voiced, and coded into Beasts of Bermuda.
You'll also get to take part in designing a skin for the animal as well. If help is needed in getting a concept drawn out, we can help you with it if need be.
If you'd like the creature you'd like to sponsor to have a specific ability, I'll do my best to make it happen. We want all of our creatures in Beasts of Bermuda to feel unique and interesting, and fulfill their own niches.
You'll also get everything prior to this tier, and the skin design will be used to create the first skin for the sponsored animal.
Keep in mind, we do have a lot of animals to do and networking with modelers and animators can take time. This may take several months to show up in-game, but we'll put it on priority! I also reserve the right to reject an animal I see unfit or not in spirit of our game, so if you're considering sponsoring an animal, feel free to ask first.
You'll also be assigned a special rank in our community discord distinguishing you as a Amazing Apatosaurus donor.
Who's Making Beasts of Bermuda?
- Matthew Weiss - Project Founder, Game and Creature Mechanics Coding, Business & Community Management
Hi! I'm a mischievous gamer who often goes by the name Predatoria. I usually love PvP in games and particularly like open-world combat. I have a newfound interest in the survival genre as well. A mixture of these games can be hard to find, which is a tremendous inspiration for creating this game. We're making our own! I founded Beasts of Bermuda, and most of my work on the project has been towards creating all the mechanics that make the game world a world, such as eating, drinking, comfort, attacking and combat and death, unique moves such as the Mosasaurus grab, storms, weather, tides, fires, fish, and pretty much everything that makes the game world full. I also run our business, Sastrei Studios, and do most of our community management.
- Leo Coulombier - Graphics Design, UI Design, Multiplayer Coding, C/C++/UI Scripting
Hey! So well... I am an aspiring digital 3D artist for cinema and animation with a passion for paleontology and dinosaurs. I'm a veteran player of Primal Carnage (Original) under the screen name Vipe, with a particular liking for playing the Pteranodon...Well, Tupa for that matter! I joined Matthew a month after the project began. A large part of my work has been focused towards behind-the-scene stuff such as the game's UI designs and logics - from the main menu to the death window- and the server related stuff. But I'm also the C++ guy due to my background with programming. Most noticeably, I focus on everything that has something to do with graphics, from textures to shading, lighting, etc... Matthew might be a genius when it comes to doing legit mechanics, but everyone needs an artist! ;) Velvet Velociraptors will see the truth of this through reward of our legacy build.
Want to see More?
Here are a few YouTube links to some gameplay footage of Beasts of Bermuda, during some of our multiplayer development tests.
- Utahraptor Pack Hunting, by Sinopia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBRVZUi9nLU&feature=youtu.be
- Apatosaurus vs Megalosaurus, by Asoka: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxh4gkfbhiw&feature=youtu.be
Risks and challenges
Of course, with any game development project, there is an endless stream of challenges. I will state this right now. We are both brand new game developers and this is our first game. This alone means that everything to us is a new challenge. The road down this path will continue throwing unique challenges towards us, ones we aren't aware of, and ones we may not even comprehend yet.
But, I present to you videos of our game, photos of our game, and even a working demo of Beasts of Bermuda, a living, breathing world that already works that we made and will continue to make better and better. We, brand new indie devs, have come so far already and we have climbed every mountain that has stood in our path and we have not stopped. Sometimes it will take us hours or days, or even weeks to figure out a problem we've never met before. We have never given up, and we never will.
We present our status as a new developers not to shed light on our lack of credentials or lack of knowledge, but as a badge of honor to our tireless dedication towards creating Beasts of Bermuda, starting from nothing.
The $35,000 goal on our project is what we believe it will cost us to give Beasts of Bermuda our first objective. Our first objective is to allow us to begin collaborating with professionals to give Beasts of Bermuda the feel and look it deserves, starting with the replacement of all of our placeholder assets with professional ones. We can't do it alone, and we need funds for this collaboration.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)