CORPUS: A COMIC ANTHOLOGY OF BODILY AILMENTS is an anthology about illness, both mental and physical, in any form as well as healthcare experiences. It is a full color book with over 200 pages of content from some incredibly talented folks tackling a huge variety of personal, scary, hilarious, and poignant topics regarding illness. There are 40 stories ranging from peanut allergies to losing an eye, from depression to epilepsy, from what it is to care for a sick person to tackling the stigma of a chronic illness yourself.
Everyone’s been sick at some point, some for short periods, some for their entire lives. We are all united by the fact that we navigate the world with our bodies, and it deeply affects the way we exist. Everyone has a story. Stories have the power to spark empathy. These stories of illness connect us, remove the fear of the disabled and the unknown. After all, health is a funny thing like that. Most don’t really think about their own health until it’s compromised.
My own experience as a Type 1 Diabetic made me reflect on the lack of narratives about visible or invisible disabilities. Despite the fact that everyone has encountered illness there are very few stories about the experience in our popular narrative. It is my hope that with this project, we can begin the overdue conversation about health, healthcare, and empathy.
We are Kickstarting to cover creator fees and printing costs. Please help us make CORPUS a reality!
Our Roster of Creators:
- Christopher Sebela (HEARTTHROB) / Haley Boros (THEY HAVE ISSUES)
- Ryan Cady (MAGDALENA) / Phillip Sevy (TOMB RAIDER)
- Ram V (PARADISIO) / Caspar Wjingaard (ANGELIC)
- Alex Paknadel (ARCADIA & TURNCOAT)
- Vita Ayala (THE WILDS) / David Stoll
- Ryan King (NICO'S FORTUNE) / Alabaster Pizzo (RALPHIE AND JEANIE)
- Kendall Atkins / Page Firby
- Matthew Erman (LONG LOST) / Renee Kliewer
- Elaine Will (LOOK STRAIGHT AHEAD)
- Tini Howard (ASSASSINISTAS) / Caroline Stuart
- Alejandro Aragon (CULT CLASSIC: SLUDGE)
- Christof Bogacs (CITIZEN) / Kaska Gazdowna
- Ann Uland
- Ben Khan (HEAVENLY BLUES) / Lilly Taing
- John Robinson IV / Danos Philopoulos
- Akeem Roberts (LIFE AFTER GRAD)
- Cathy Leamy (GERANIUMS AND BACON) / Judy Leamy
- Jim Gibbons (MARS: SPACE BARBARIAN) / Melody Often (TRINADOT)
- Erica Schultz (M3) / Kevin Maher (27, A ROCK ANTHOLOGY)
- Cody Sousa (CROAK) / Ben D’Amico
- Brian Level (LAZARUS)
- Cameron DeOrdio (JOSIE AND THE PUSSYCATS) / Eli Neugeboren
- Mady G (INVADER ZIM)
- Shing Yin Khor (THE AMERICAN DREAM)
- Querelle P / Dante Luiz
- Ian Mondrick (CURIO) / Elodie Chen (WAYWARD SISTERS)
- Kevin Schaefer / Andrew Herman / Mike Rosenzweig
- Hal Matthews / Olivia Mercurio (THE ANSWERING ROCK)
- Holly Aitchison / Morgan Perry
- Fred Kennedy (CRUDE) / Soo Lee (MINE: A PLANNED PARENTHOOD ANTHOLOGY)
- Ryan Estrada (BANNED BOOK CLUB)
- Eliot Rahal (CULT CLASSIC) / Sean Andrew Lynch
- Stephanie Cannon (BANDERA) / Emily Pearson (THE WILDS)
- Mark Bouchard (H.o.M.C.) / Stelladia VS
- Pat Shand (DESTINY, NY) / Ryan Best
- Mister Loki (UNTIL THE LAST DOG DIES)
- Vicky Leta
- Rebecca Farrow (LADYCASTLE)
COVER ART BY: Mark Wang
If you would like to add an extra copy of the book to your order, add $25 to your donation!
The Postcard Set will be printed on 5X7 premium paper.
HARDCOVER EDITION - UNLOCKED!
Our first stretch goal has been unlocked! Featuring art by Mark Wang, the limited edition hardcover will have gorgeous embossing against a matte cover.
The Enamel Pin is a 1.5" cut-out with raised floral details featuring the figure from the book's cover.
Our Kickstarter exclusive art print, drawn by Jen Vaughn (GOOSEBUMPS, THE SECRET LOVE OF GEEKS) will be printed on 8X10 premium paper.
COMMISSION TIER REWARDS
NOTE: If you would like to add an enamel pin, a postcard set, or an art print, just add $15 to your donation!
FULL BODY FIGURE BY OLIVIA MERCURIO
Olivia Mercurio is offering a digital simple background, full color, full body figure.
TWO CHARACTER COMMISSION BY DCS
DCS is offering a digital two character, simple background, full color digital commission of your choosing.
PORTRAIT BY HALEY BOROS
Haley Boros is contributing a digital portrait of your choosing, including OCs, couples, and pets!
COMMISSION BY EMILY PEARSON
Emily Pearson is contributing a digital full color image, including up to two characters of your choice and a simple background.
COMMISSION BY REBECCA FARROW
Rebecca Farrow is contributing a digital full color, full body figure of your choice.
COMMISSION BY SOO LEE
Soo Lee is offering a traditional art drawing, size 8X10, in black and white.
COMMISSION BY PHILIP SEVY
Philip Sevy is offering a black and white traditional art commission, which will be 9X12 in size and will feature a full body figure of your choice!
At 30K, we will be able to add FOUR MORE STORIES to CORPUS! With work by Ken Lowery, Brogan Luke Bouwhuis, Libby Van Bunte, Silvia Carrus waiting to add even more diverse and amazing stories to CORPUS.
Risks and challenges
Although this is my first Kickstarter, I have extensive experience with the entire process of making a book from start to finish, as well as plenty of experience with mail-outs. Our roster is filled with seasoned professionals, and I have complete confidence that everything will run smoothly.
There are things outside of my control, such as technology failing, delayed shipments, human error, and so on. However, I have failsafes and put backups in the schedule. Otherwise, I will work to make sure all the backers are informed of our progress and that things are handled swiftly.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (28 days)