Read the stories behind the history, beauty, and people of Marine Corps Base Hawaii and the Mōkapu Peninsula.
- What do we know about the Hawaiians who lived on the peninsula before contact with the West?
- Did Kahekili really leap from Kahekili’s Leap?
- What was life like on the peninsula before the Navy arrived?
- What happened on and above the Mōkapu Peninsula during the Japanese attack on December 7, 1941?
- Who are the streets, athletic fields, and other facilities aboard the base named after?
- What is the story behind the Pacific War Memorial? Why is it on Marine Corps Base Hawaii?
- Meticulously researched and beautifully photographed, Marine Corps Base Hawaii on the Mōkapu Peninsula is the culmination of a fifteen-year effort to honor this amazing community with a chronicle that is sweeping, engaging, and eminently readable.
More than 200 maps, illustrations, and photographs richly accompany the compelling story of this fascinating peninsula.
Risks and challenges
Barring something catastrophic, if this book is funded it WILL BE PRINTED. The research is done. The photographs have been taken and processed. The text has been written, rewritten, technically edited, copyedited, and the galley proofread. The printing is arranged and ready for the last critical participant: YOU as a patron of the arts!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (35 days)