YAY! We’re so happy that you’ve found our Kickstarter-campaign! When the campaign has closed, you can learn more and pre-order books, here!
We spend 1/3 of our life at work, but only 15% of employees are engaged in their workplace, worldwide, according to Gallup*. We know HOW to unleash engagement and innovation at workplaces - the problem is that these methods and tools are not commonly known. We want to change that!
Our team is united by a strong belief in the creative capabilities of humans working together in teams and the urge to create a positive impact in the world. Therefore, we have started this movement. We want to publish a series of books about how to unleash the power of teams and individuals, and by that, re-inventing organizations from within.
We will make pedagogic and mobile books with explosive content! A new & engaging release, at least, every quarter of the year somewhere in the world! All books in the series will include step-by-step and hands-on instructions on how to facilitate successful and engaging processes and workshops with teams.
Make your pledge, to help teams worldwide to create more magic. If you order the first issue of our series of books through this campaign, you’ll get 15% off all future issues. A lifelong discount! Want to engage even more? Join as a co-creator here. We are over 550 collaborators involved, from 40 different countries.
We’ve started this Kickstarter campaign to start this movement and release the first issue in the series of books. Our aim is global reach and a huge impact on businesses, NGO’s, the academic world and governments. Your support will help us to kickstart the project and cover costs related to, for example, coordinating, facilitating, writing, translating and publishing.
This project will change the life of many people, leaders, and employees - thanks to you. We'd be forever grateful.
'State of The Global Workplace 2017
Our series of books will be about collaboration and co-creation and will include different topics and aspects related to that. We’ll write a lot on methodologies. About mindsets and methods related to how to change an organization from within, by releasing the energy and creativity in us humans, and changing the way we learn and collaborate.
We want to help teams to set their purpose, create culture, be their whole-self at work and be individually proactive in their self-leadership. We want to help teams to experience the synergies and magic that is released when they start to build on each other’s core qualities and perspectives.
So, what do we mean with mindset and tools? We will give you real examples of how to apply powerful stuff such as group dynamic models, tools and approaches, transformative leadership models, tools and approaches and much more. The stories will ignite, equip and empower you to adapt and adopt new ideas and implement them for real. All books will contain a toolbox with step-by-step guides on how to run efficient and engaging workshops - no matter what result you strive for.
Our toolbox will be based on existing theory and research, like for example FIRO, The Learning Spiral, Integrated Model of Group Development, Openness/Trust Spiral, Feedback Ladder, SCARF, Social Brain, AGES Learning Model, The Strength Deployment Inventory, etc.
Since collaboration is a continuously evolving subject, we’re creating a series of small books, around 70 pages each. A hybrid between a book and a magazine. Something in-between Harvard Business Review and traditional management literature. It’ll be the perfect size to take along in your bag, read on the bus, or hand out after a work session.
Since this is an open, co-creative and collaborative project, we don’t know the exact results yet. Our best guess is that the books will cover the following topics: Purpose, Openness/Trust, Collaborative Methods, Effective Teams, Facilitation, Self-Leadership, Neuro Leadership, Sustainability, Health, Life Balance, Whole Self, New Organizations, Team Development and Lifelong Learning. What we do know is that we will align our beliefs with the latest research within above topics. And, we will sprinkle it with real stories from people in our network that have made a small or big impact around the world.
We’ll put a great deal of time and energy into this project, but we will not do it by ourselves. The process has already started! It’s open, co-creative and collaborative and we’re using the passion and knowledge of our worldwide network to unlock progress.
We’ve already met with 35 professionals and students, and we have gathered more than 530 curious and passionate people from more than 40 different countries in the Facebook-group of the project. Please join the movement via our website, Book of Collaboration, If you are a fan/backer - please follow our Facebook Page!
So, who are the drivers behind this project?
We, Åsa Silfverberg & Roger Sjögren, have devoted our whole working lives to helping teams and organizations to transform; designing and facilitating programs for cultural and business transformation. Today, we drive change through our work at The Collaboration Lab. For more than twenty years we were developing the methodology of the famous school Hyper Island - famous for focusing on lifelong learning. We met Anna for the first time back in 2003, when she was a Hyper Island student of the Digital Media Creative Program in Karlskrona.
I, Anna Gullstrand, graduated from Hyper Island in 2005. Since then I have been working in leading positions within the digital sphere, starting the digital agency Deasign in Russia and until recently, running the digital agency Fröjd in Stockholm as the CEO. I am the founder and owner of Studio How, creating learning experiences that help companies to stay competitive in the digital world. I’ve always been passionate about sustainable leadership and teamwork.
The U.N. has set up 17 sustainability goals for the year of 2030. To reach these goals, everyone living on planet earth needs to be better at collaboration and co-creation. This is serious. If industry, governments, the academic world and NGO’s don’t start to collaborate for real, we will not see any progress.
There’s a lot of change that needs to happen in the world. To do that, we need to tap into each others energy and collaborate for real, using the qualities and experience of every individual.
On top of that, people spend 1/3 of their lifetime working, and according to Gallup, only 15% are engaged worldwide... We want to stop the unnecessary suffering in workplaces. Imagine what a great impact we can do if we start to work & collaborate in another way?!
To sum it all up. We believe that organizations and companies today are very far from being as creative, innovative and sustainable as they could be. Traditional ways of leading and organizing are getting in the way. Hierarchical systems based on control, this makes us humans unengaged.
Exponential growth in the technology sector, globalization, internet, and environmental issues are factors that stress a paradigm shift. The world is insecure and in rapid change. Our systems and beliefs, most of them born in the industrial age, need to be challenged. WE need to challenge them.
We are part of a movement. The movement includes great thinkers, learning institutes, and researchers around the world. For example; Susan A Wheelan, Otto Scharmer, Dale Hunter, Frederic Laloux, David Rock, Elias Porter, Will Schutz, Kaospilot, and The Swedish Defense University (Försvarshögskolan). Hyper Island, the school that all three of us has a strong connection to, has been one of the leading forces in this movement for more than 20 years. We are very grateful for everything that has been accomplished and for everything that will be accomplished.
We want to make a big impact. Therefore, we aim to create a series of books that are valuable both for people not yet familiar with the subject, and people that are already engaged. The different issues will target different people. However, they’ll all relate to collaboration and increased engagement from the perspectives of individuals, teams, leaders, organizations, and society/earth.
We will mix theory and practice, research and personal experiences, stories, and facts to create the most interesting and valuable learning experience possible. Every book will end with step-by-step instructions on how to facilitate different workshops related to the topic of the book. We believe that the readers will be people in leadership positions and members of teams within organizations, NGO's, government, and private companies.
We hope that the books will be a useful tool for all the Alumni of Hyper Island, Kaospilot, and other schools. We also hope that the book will find its way into the educational sphere, because of its focus on Lifelong Learning.
The books will be written in English and likely in Swedish too. However, if we raise more money than our funding goal, we’ll also translate them into languages that will help us to make the impact even bigger; for example, Spanish, Arabic, and Mandarin.
We’ve already started the process. In September, we facilitated our first workshop, outlining the purpose & vision, and picking some extraordinary people’s brains on everything from content to marketing.
Our rough time plan looks like this:
- December 2017 - January 2018: Foundation, planning & collaborative work
- February 2018 - Financing
- February - April 2018: Collaborative work, interviews, workshops.
- March - October 2018: Collaborative writing, illustrations, collecting feedback & editing.
- November / December 2018: Editing & translation.
- December 2018: Proofreading, visual cover, final touch.
- January 2019: Printing.
- February 2019: Resting. And, marketing/PR.
- March 2019: Release party + distribution of books to our backers!
- March 2019: Official release of the book
Hopefully, we’ll distribute the first issue earlier than March 2019. Ideally, we will release one book per quarter. Books will be print on demand and sold upon request.
We aim to raise minimum 350 000 SEK.
Our idea is to cover some of our costs related to starting the movement, writing, and publishing of the first issues. Since we need to pay VAT on all physical rewards, below calculation is what we need to cover our costs VAT included.
Here is a brief calculation of our estimated costs:
- Printing + distribution of minimum 400 books: 40 000 SEK VAT included.
- Translation one language, editing, proofreading, etc.: 100 000 SEK VAT included.
- Marketing, film production: 40 000 SEK VAT included.
- Visual identity, Illustrations, book cover, etc.: 60 000 SEK VAT included.
- Additional costs (running workshops, meetings etc.): 60 000 SEK
- Fees (Kickstarter, payment processing, etc.): 50 000 SEK VAT included.
Any "Salary" is not included in the minimum cost estimate. If we exceed our goal, we will translate the books into other languages that can help us to make an even greater impact. We plan to use any leftover funds for financial compensation for work completed.
Check out our collaborators and the companies they work for, which are truly amazing!
- Erik Brandberg - Investment Manager at Gullspång Invest
- Klara Kviberg - Process designer, facilitator and partner at CoLabX
- Marie Andervin - Digital Transformation Enabler at DigJourney
- Nina Sandström - Program Manager at Hyper Island
- Samuel Hedberg - Program Manager at Hyper Island
- Lukas Petko - Student at Hyper Island
- Christian Olsson - Artist - LISTEN TO THIS MUSIC!!!!!!
- Isabelle Funck - Director of Development at Hyper Island
- Saga Forsmark - Head of Quality and Portfolio at Hyper Island
- Olle Svensson - Digital advisor, speaker and partner at CoLabX
- Dawn Hoenie - Facilitator, learning designer and coach at The Purpose
- Mathias Wellström - Managing Director at Trib
- Ulrika K Engström - Program manager at Svenska Institutet (Swedish Institute)
- Petra Heinonen - HR director at Paf
- Maria Distner - Head of Talent Evolution at Tengbom
- Jonas Höglund - Leadership Design Director at Fjord
- Maria Nohlström - Culture Transformation Director & Partner at Doberman
- Kristina Herngren - Agency Director & Business Developer Iteam
- Roger Sjögren - Co-founder at The Collaboration Lab & partner at Hyper Island
- Åsa Silfverberg - Co-founder at The Collaboration Lab & partner at Hyper Island
- Anna Gullstrand - Founder of Studio How, Co-founder of Deasign.ru & Fröjd
- Theres Sysimetsä - Digital Strategist, Geek Girl Meetup / Unionen
- Christer Hedberg - Team Facilitator at Stendahls and local host at CreativeMornings Gothenburg
This fantastic persons participated in our 2nd workshop, facilitated by Anna Gullstrand & Maria Distner:
- Misaki Tsuchiyama - Creative Planner
- Angelina Agesand - Student at Hyper Island
- Giovanna Bins - Designer & Strategist
- Ellen Åkeson - Trend Researcher & Creative Strategist
- William Hollowell - Digital Creative & Interactive Designer
- Jennifer Eriksson - Digital Media Creative student & Design intern
- Mateusz Sloka - Project Manager and Board Member at Service Code AB | Marketing Manager and Board Member at Food Code AB
- Anne Sarah Skjøt - Student at Hyper Island
- Saga Rickmer - Student at Hyper Island
- Alina Hedenström - Student på Hyper Island
- Josefin Meyer - Digital Media Creative Student at Hyper Island
- Edīte Garjāne - Strategic Project Manager at Fully Studios
- There's Sysimetsä - Digital Strategist
- Rasmus Noah Hansen - Process Leader at Pond
Thank you GraphicBurger for the amazing patterns, backgrounds and textures to sketch with.
- FIRO - Will Schutz
- The Learning Spiral
- Integrative Model of Group Development - Susan A Wheelan
- Openness/Trust spiral - Anders Wendelheim / Core Consulting
- Feedback Ladder
- SCARF - David Rock / Neuroleadership Institute
- AGES Learning Model - Dr. Lila Davachi, Dr. Tobias Kiefer, Dr. David Rock and Lisa Rock - Neuroleadership Institute
- The Strength Deployment Inventory - Elias Porter
- The Process & Content Model (Called The Walnut by Hyper Island)
- Appreciative inquiry - The 4D Model - The "AI Commons"
Risks and challenges
As we see it, there is only one big risk/challenge, and that’s time. This is the driver for why we’re doing this Kickstarter-campaign. By understanding, if there’s an interest for our series of books, as well as getting some financial stability, we’ll feel safe to put our "normal" work on hold and focus on this project.
Another potential risk with book-projects is that we could lose energy and momentum during the process. We’ll use feedback and energy from our backers and network to see it through. It also helps us that we, thanks to our competence and experience, are used to expressing feelings and needs in our team. It will help us to get through high and lows, keeping our focus on our goal and purpose.
One more risk could be that we run out of money, and the money we’ve raised to publish the first issue of the series of books is insufficient. To avoid that, we’ve made a stable budget including all the cost that might appear. We also think we could get more financing later on if necessary; when we can show, thanks to this Kickstarter campaign, that there’s a huge demand for our product. Since we believe so strongly in The Book of Collaboration, we’re fully prepared to finance part of the project with our own money.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)