Hello, how would you like to possess a faux leather bound tome, containing the spells that your great wizard knows?
I know I would.
What I want to produce is a spellbook for RPG players that looks, feels, and weighs as much as the tomes our characters carry.
I want to make a variety of "Basic" Spell books containing a variety of common spells, as well as a number of blank pages for further customization.
Additionally I want to produce customized spell books. These might have:
- Custom spell list
- Choices of color for Faux leather cover
- Custom title, for example, "Alketrel's tome of Evocation, Vol. I"
- Custom hardware such as corner reinforcement, book lock, etc.
- Custom cover material, such as thin wood, chipboard, or possibly even metal.
Some of these options will be available at the start of the campaign, and others will unlock as we go along.
Please note that if you want additional items you will need to include extra for shipping for addresses outside of the USA. It costs me about $30.00 US for the first book to ship using an insured and traceable method. Each additional book will add about $10.00 US to the cost of postage.
No additional shipping will be needed for addresses within the USA.
The basic book:
- Brown faux leather covered.
- 22pt chipboard covers
- 20lb white paper pages
- ~8.5" x 11" cover
- ~8" x 10" pages
- 100 pages.
- Hand Stitched and glued binding
- Selection of spells. These spells will be from the Paizo Pathfinder Resource Document found at: http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/
- All material will be limited to items covered by the D20 Open Game Licence found at: http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/openGameLicense.html
- Each spell entry will include the game rules text as found in the PRD entry for the spell plus enough additional text to fill the D20/Pathfinder one page per spell level required in the spellbook.
- The basic spell books will include a choice from among an Evokers book, an Illusionists book, and a Conjurers book. Each will have a selection of spells appropriate for a 6th level caster in the case of a 50 page book, or a 7th level caster in the case of the 100 page book.
Alternative Basic Book option:
Same as above except that the pages are blank.
Custom Spell List:
Backer will submit a list of spells from one class spell list from those made available by Paizo Games Pathfinder Resource Document, so long as the spells fit within the page count for the book. Shipping delays may occur depending upon receipt of the the finalized spell list.
The backer may submit a number of spells of their own creation for inclusion within the book. Contents of the spells are subject to approval. Shipping delays may occur depending upon receipt of the the finalized spell list.
System Neutral option:
A system neutral spell list where the spell entries contain no game rule mechanics but only flavor text. More information on this option pending. This option may be selected as an alternative for any pledge level that includes a custom spell list. The list of spells available to choose from will be determined by backer vote.
Stretch goals:$200.00 -- Color option, black, made available. Unlocked!
$300.00 -- Metal corner protectors added for free. Unlocked!
$300.00 -- First alternate book size option available - traveling spell book (50 pages). Unlocked!
$300.00 -- Additional page count add-on available. Unlocked!
$300.00 -- Second book size option available. 5.5" x 8.5" cover. Both 100 and 50 page sizes available. Unlocked!
$350.00 -- 30pt chipboard upgrade add-on available. Unlocked!
$350.00 -- Double 22pt chipboard upgrade add-on available. Unlocked!
$350.00 -- 50pt chipboard upgrade add-on available. Unlocked!
$500.00 -- Simplified spell entries without extra text option available.
$600.00 -- Pages upgraded to 24lb paper for free.
$800.00 -- Color option, chosen by backer vote, made available.
$1'100.00 -- System Neutral spell book option unlocked as a basic book option.
$1'200.00 -- Every backer at the $20.00 level, and above, will receive one Mini spell book for free.
$1'700.00 -- Faux leather covered wooden covers available.
$2'000.00 -- Custom cover titles available as an add-on.
$2'100.00 -- Color option, chosen by backer vote, made available.
$2'300.00 -- Additional Basic book unlocked, chosen by backer vote.
$2'600.00 -- Book Lock add-on available.
$3'000.00 -- Faux leather covered metal covers available.
Add on's are available for some pledge levels.
Some of the earliest shipping tiers do not allow add on's in order to help insure early completion and delivery.
- Extra 8.5" x11" books can be added to any pledge that allows add on's, but not to pledges that do not allow add on's. The cost is $40.00 per extra book + an additional $10.00 for addresses outside of the USA.
- Extra Mini books (about 5.5" x 8.5") for $35.00 each + $10.00 shipping for addresses outside of the USA..
- Extra pages for $2.00 per 20 pages for basic book. $5.00 per 20 pages for custom spell lists, or custom spells.
- 30pt chipboard used in the covers in place of 22pt for $1.00 per book.
- Double 22pt chipboard - two sheets used instead of one for each cover for $2.00 per book.
- 50pt chipboard upgrade for $3.00 per book.
As stretch goals get unlocked more add on options will be added.
Risks and challenges
All of the usual risks associated with the production of physical goods apply here.
The main difference between this project and many others is that I am doing all of the production myself, from writing to printing to binding.
The two most important risks include the possible delays on delivery of raw materials causing delay in production, and accidental injury causing a delay. The first of these is not likely to cause a major delay, and the second is not likely to occur at all.
There are of course all of the unforeseen possibilities.
I have participated, as a backer, in numerous Kickstarter projects and I recognize the importance of keeping the backers well informed with frequent updates, and timely notification when delays are encountered.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (21 days)